The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

If I'm not mistaken, TNRC is the middle part of the MK2 three layer cabinet, inside it. It's officially called "bottom base", part no. sfau122-02, while the visible rubber base is "bottom cover", sfau122-03. TNRC block was not part of the early MK2's which were of two layer design, with thick heavy rubber base (till 1989? I thought it was bit earlier but maybe not. "The SL-1200MK3 debuted in 1989, ten years after the introduction of the epoch-making model of the SL-1200 Series, the SL-1200MK2. The MK3’s cabinet was filled with T.N.R.C. (Technics Non Resonance Compound) for even more robust vibration-proofing.").
    GR is also two layer design (aluminum top + thick rubber base). Curious how that compares to the MK2's three layered construction (aluminum top+TNRC+thinner rubber bottom).

TNRC vs cover vs early MK2:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

Thanks for those images, but the GR doesn't have any rubber in the base. The G uses a two-layer bottom base of rubber and BMC. GR is just BMC.

3. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

o_O

Oelewapper likes this.
  4. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

That internal weight is a type of cast metal.
    I always assumed that it was just die cast aluminium (no, not aluminum).

5. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

I meant real rubber, but point taken. The lower Technics (mk7/100C/1500C) use a plastic base without any rubber, real or synthetic.

punkmusick likes this.
  6. Oelewapper

AFAIK, natural rubber from rubber trees is quite rare these days...
    The glass fiber reinforced ABS on the MK7/100/1500C is a type of plastic.

7. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Are we talking about the same thing? The part that the guy holds in his hands on the photo above. To my experience it is not metal but "plasticky" stuff (probably TNRC).
    Re rubber vs BMC...yeah, actually BMC is rubber-like material, but technically there's probably more "rubbery" rubber, used along the BMC on the G.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
  8. Oelewapper

Yes, it feels cold to the touch, so it's definitely a metal alloy of some sort.
    Ah yes you're right, I've only little experience with the GR... I own both a G and a M7L(a white MK7), but no GR...
    I finally got the time to actually look it up.

The 1200G has this layout:
    [​IMG]
    So aparently, the BMC isn't on the outside, but it has rubber on the outside.

This is the layout of the GR:
    [​IMG]
    This one does have the BMC on the outside. No rubber.

punkmusick and Joel S like this.
  9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The easiest thing an MK7/100C/1500C owner can do is replace the terrible stock feet those decks come with, if the owner is concerned about vibrations coming up through the plinth. A cheaper fix would be industrial anti-vibration pads.

AndyCC72, Joel S and Oelewapper like this.
  10. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

But it seemed prone to cracking. That's why I think it's not metal but that TRNC.

Which strongly resembles the early MK2, also a two layered design:
    [​IMG]

ranch 22b likes this.
  11. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

How does the GR compare to old MK2,3D,5,etc.? Older (with upgrades) better, or, GR even better? Bang for the buck , which would be the best choice?

12. FalseMetal666

FalseMetal666 Forum Resident

Not tried a GR myself but word on the street is that stock originals are pretty well bested by the GR.

Very curious how my KAB hot rod M3D would stack up to a GR.

MikeJedi and Fender Relic like this.
  13. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Sitting here sick in bed with Strep which I haven’t gotten in 20 years. Probably take a 3-4 days to get better. In the meanwhile since I can’t listen to music (my ears and throat ugh), enjoying starting to read the Stereophile G review to see if the reviewers thought(s) line up somewhat to my thinking of how this piece sounds, in addition to comparing my MK5 if they mention it at all — maybe the mk2 comparison -which is similar. —!

and catching up on my absolute sounds and of course Hoffman. Lol. I have these mags and a bunch of tea , antibiotics etc. love this thread .. amongst others is entertaining !
    Have fun all :)

14. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

Feel better soon.

MikeJedi likes this.
  15. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Joel S likes this.
  16. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

Have you a doctor? I assume so since you know it's strep.

17. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

Bang for the buck is hard to quantify between current models and used models. The rising costs of older 1200s is what pushed me towards the GR. Since many are asking at least $800 for a VG+ example of the MK2, I gave up and went for a GR. Compared to my old 1700 mk1 the GR is superior but that table isn’t quartz locked like the 1200s you listed which is probably the biggest difference. Sonically I think you can expect a GR to be at least “on-par” with the old decks. Personally I like the comfort of knowing my main deck is now brand new and warrantied, fresh tonearm wiring, fresh bearings, fresh capacitors and and upgraded motor and speed control. I don’t know if I’d want to take a blind test between a MK2-6 and a GR though haha.

Big Blue, Fender Relic and t4t3r like this.
  18. t4t3r

t4t3r Forum Resident

I wish more people would admit that. :) Not that I wouldn't still say the GR is "better" depending on how you want to define and/or quantify "better," just that the originals still compare very well if they are operating correctly, IMO. The GR is a solid value at a ~$1300 price point that they've hit recently, but for some people may become a little tougher to justify at its MSRP. As you said, it still makes a lot of sense to go new regardless of price knowing that it will last many, many, many years with nothing required except to enjoy it. Makes me wish Technics would've skipped the 1500c and 100c models and just dropped the GR price a little bit to make the choice really simple when wanting to go for an audiophile-grade turntable without having to pony up for the G.

MikeJedi and Fender Relic like this.
  19. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Yep. He said it’s going around here in Las Vegas post thanksgiving !

Joel S likes this.
  20. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

I bet a comparison between a SL1200mk5 like mine and a GR would yield interesting results. I can say my G is definitely superior to the MK5 but the G is a beast lol. The MK5 is a tough little table still :)

zombiemodernist and Oelewapper like this.
  21. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

Where is the GR $1300?

MikeJedi likes this.
  22. t4t3r

t4t3r Forum Resident

With the exchange rates we've been seeing it is available from European sellers for between $12-1300. A couple months ago it was available in the USA from B&H for $1350.

23. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

The exchange rates have gone back up quite a bit from that low at the start of October, so I don't think you will find them for that price with shipping, maybe $1400-$1500, still a good savings when sales tax is added to the US price. And I think that B&H price was just a one day flash deal on September 11, but could be wrong, there are deals out there, recently saw a couple used ones for around $1000, but they go quick :)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
  24. t4t3r

t4t3r Forum Resident

It was definitely a sale price at B&H but it was good for an entire 24 hours. I hadn't really checked exchange rates recently so that is a good point although prices from some UK dealers are still in the $1200-1300 range after conversion - after a quick search I don't see any at that price shipping to the USA but maybe there are a couple. Gotta be ready to pull the trigger when the price is right. :)

25. KeithL

KeithL Forum Resident

Thanks for reminding me to put back the industrial anti-vib pads under my stock 1500C feet. Stevie Wonder's Innervisions is sounding sublime, but then again it always does, no matter what it's played on.

FalseMetal666 and patient_ot like this.