The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

They’re still selling out of GRs as fast as they can make them at the original price, so I don’t see how there was any hope of a price drop. If anything, I’m shocked they haven’t gone up, like most other products have been doing.

2. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

They will go up
    Black Friday is gone
    Technics likely sell more than they can make, doubt you get one dollar discount on new kit onwards, on the contrary, 10-15% increase.

3. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Sure, I’m not even considering Black Friday sale prices, just the regular price. It hasn’t gone up, but that can’t last, the way pretty much every consumer good has been going up in price.

4. t4t3r

t4t3r Forum Resident

:confused: Maybe a year ago or when the pandemic was in full swing, but they are in stock at pretty much every retailer now and have been for some time. Doesn't mean they may not still raise prices just because Technics can, but they are not constantly selling out anymore.

5. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

I missed that sale. I had it in my B&H cart, too.

6. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

They lowered mfg costs by moving to Malaysia. They can probably keep prices where they are for now.

Big Blue likes this.
  7. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I’m seeing stock now that I look today, you are right. They seemed pretty limited more recently than a year ago, though (admittedly I’m not looking at these constantly, because I already own one).

Availability was scarce even before the pandemic. I had to wait like a month and a half for mine on back order in 2019, and that seemed to be a common story. When the 1500c was introduced in 2019, I don’t see how lowering the price of the GR rather than introducing lower-priced options would have made sense for breaking into lower price ranges. I just don’t think that was ever on the table as a way to sell turntables at less than $1700.

8. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Sure, but that was like a year and a half ago, right? I wouldn’t be surprised if inflation still catches up with these in the near future. Buy now, IMO (or, really, buy last week, if they were indeed on sale).

9. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

Most of the price increases have already happened. If Technics hasn't raised prices by now, I don't think it'll happen — famous last words.

10. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

I agree, I've owned various 1200s in the past (MK2, M5G and even an MK4), but the 1200G is on another level.
    It's equal or better in every way.

That applies to most things in audio - buy now if you can, or be prepared to pay considerably more next year.
    I've recently been shopping cartridges again, and wow... some of them have literally risen by >20% of their price within about 6 months!
    From Technics to Rega, from Audio Technica to Ortofon... price hikes all across the board... crazy times.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
    MikeJedi and Big Blue like this.
  11. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Senior Member

Also, sea freight prices are almost back to normal. That should help, too.

12. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I bought an AT OC9XML (discounted) before the price rises but haven't used it yet. Foresaw an increase as they had remained the same for so long. Price hikes have especially inflated cartridges over £1K.

Oelewapper likes this.
  13. Oelewapper

Yeah it’s insane. At Black Friday I was able to get an ART9XI at “the old price”.
    It’s 1550 euros now, while it used to be 1200.
    Still haven’t had time to mount it though.
    I’ll probably be posting a review with initial impressions of that cartridge this or next weekend.

Btw, haven’t had - is that correct use of English? Because it sounds funny to me… :p

ubiknik likes this.
  14. Classicrock

Yes it's correct English. Frankly you get full marks for your English. I always find the Dutch have great English.

15. Oelewapper

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:
    Thanks.
    Well, it’s no surprise, since Dutch is the closest to England, in terms of language, culture and geographical location.

punkmusick likes this.
  16. Classicrock

You can still find G and GR discounted in UK and they are always in stock somewhere with the online retailers who mostly have shops as well. For some reason there always seem to be supply issues in North America.

haz2000 and Big Blue like this.
  17. Pmds55889397

Perhaps the reason is UK, users are used to look at Linn, Rega and many other British brands.?

18. Classicrock

My guess is that sellers preorder container loads of product well in advance. Linn are now a boutique brand with a small dealer base and Rega still less known than Technics (only available from a limited number of outlets above P1 level). Apart from Michell and Roksan there is hardly any other significant UK TT production. Audio Note TTs are made in Austria. There are far more brands from Germany but any of these are off the radar of anyone who isn't a keen audiophile. I'm sure the most popular hi-fi TT brand in the UK is now Project from Slovakia.

19. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

Looking forward to your write up of the ART9XI. I'm thoroughly enjoying the one I have.

Oelewapper likes this.
  20. Oelewapper

Just finished mounting it and I’ve had the first two hours on it.
    Very interesting so far, way different than I expected - in a good way.

21. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

You're probably already aware but it'll take an honest 20 hours of playtime before it really starts to sing to it's fullest potential.
    Enjoy!

Oelewapper likes this.
  22. Oelewapper

Okay, yeah about 10 to 20 hours is reasonable for a line contact IMO.
    But it sounds great right out of the box already!

ubiknik and aunitedlemon like this.
  23. Pmds55889397

Project seem to be the best selling turntables WW
    Most average users haven't a clue these are really poor decks.

24. Oelewapper

I think you're too optimistic... Ya Horng probably sells a lot more turntables - for as far as suitcase recordplowers count as turntables lol

zombiemodernist likes this.
  25. Pmds55889397