The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Scott1200

Scott1200 Active Member

You know, that’s a great point and something I didn’t consider. Perhaps with it being so far off and a consistent lower RPM (thus pitch), I have been hearing songs not as “bright” for so long I got used to it.

I’ll try the torque settings to see if that changes anything. And thinking about more descriptive ways to label the sound, the GR sounds very “studio-ish” clean and refined. Where the Mk5 sounds more “live venue-ish”. I’m sure a lot of people would really like the way the GR sounds. But to me it sounds different and not what I’m used to. That very well may be from the pitch being slightly off.

Thanks for your help! I’ll keep trying more things.

snorker likes this.
  2. ngower

ngower Forum Resident

Couldn't you use cartridges or other means to get that sound rather than messing with the speed stability? Sounds like the GR has a good audio base and you could "color" it to your liking with more "musical" equiptment.

Scott1200 likes this.
  3. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Is that measured with the reset button on?

Scott1200 likes this.
  4. Scott1200

Scott1200 Active Member

That’s what I am hoping for. I was already planning on trying different mats before today. I’ll probably order some Herbie mats this week and see if that changes anything. Then next year after the holidays I’d like to get some upgraded interconnect cables.

I’d prefer to not have to change the cart only because I’ve got these 2 M44-7s that still have lots of life in them and I still have 2 unopened M44-7s that I bought shortly after Shure made the announcement. I guess I could sell them for a half way decent price if I did go another route, but I’ve been using them for so long, that’d be like treading into uncharted waters:help:

5. Scott1200

Scott1200 Active Member

Yes

6. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Thanks! Wanted to try it mostly out of curiosity since I'd have the arm but "more trouble than it's worth" seems the prevailing theme. I do have the KAB damper on my 2008-ish 1200 MkII so will likely give that a go.

snorker likes this.
  7. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Sorted out the crosstalk measurement, seemed too far off spec,
    26 dB, same as a lab report.
    Used the Ortofon lp.
    Test report separation is 18 dB at 1000 Hz.

The VTA was way too high. Was at ~3 and lowered it to 0.5. Used an inclinometer and eye loupe to get 90 and ~24 deg.

Perfect imo
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

this_machine likes this.
  8. Casey737

Casey737 Forum Resident

OMG, I've reached the end of the thread. I am ready to come out of the lurker shadows. Yes, it took me several months but I read all 565 pages of this thread. I must admit I blew past a lot of posts about the wobbles, MIJ vs MIM and most of the posts written by the engineers in the crowd (no offense, but just a bit nerdy with all the numbers and such :)). So really that makes it about equal to only 200 pages or so. :p

But, this thread has helped me to decide to sell my VPI Super Prime Scout for a SL-1210G-K. I should say I traded my VPI for the 1210G (plus the difference) through HiFi Heaven. Actually, I bought the 1210GR first but called back the next day and switched to the 1210G as I knew I would always wonder if I should have bought the 1210G if I bought the GR.

So my VPI is on the way to them and the 1210G is on the way to me. I also purchased an AT-OC9XML to go along with it. I have a Sound Smith Zephyr MIMC Star that I kept from the VPI so will switch between the two. I also found a 6MM Technics mat on sleazeBay and bought an AT-LH11H headshell for the AT-OC9XML. I will use the stock headshell for the Zephyr. Likely will purchase the fluid damper at some point but for now will keep stock. Merry Christmas to me.

So, here I sit with no TT until Thursday - that is if I can trust UPS to deliver when they say they will.

One question. I am looking at a Herbie's Way Excellent TT mat as well and wondering if the diameter for the 1210G is the same as the 1210GR at 285mm.

Thanks for all the evening reading guys, job well done!

Dischord, recstar24, Djohm and 4 others like this.
  9. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Even though the AT headshell is kind of made to match their cartridge design, you'd probably be better off with the OC9XML on the lighter stock headshell, it is much higher compliance than the Zephyr (maybe 25cu versus 10cu). The Zephyr could actually benefit from some extra mass since it is such a low compliance cartridge, though you'd likely have to use the auxiliary counterweight with that combo since the cartridge is kind of heavy too. But it will work either way.

Merry Christmas :)

[​IMG]

PS - Sorry for the nerdy technical content, OK to ignore :)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2022
    Casey737 and aunitedlemon like this.
  10. Casey737

Casey737 Forum Resident

Don't apologize for the nerdy content on my regard. Looks like I should have been paying more attention. :)

Thanks for the advice. I will try the AT with the stock headshell first. What would be a headshell recommendation for the Zephyr?

11. JP

JP Forum Resident

You calling me a nerd?

Ingenieur and ubiknik like this.
  12. Davey

No, but our friend Casey did. We wear it like a badge of honor :)

13. JP

JP Forum Resident

Hmph.

14. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Well.... :)

[​IMG]

15. this_machine

this_machine Forum Resident

Ready for the flood

Ingenieur likes this.
  16. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Anyone have any thoughts on why the reviewer would want to “color” the sound of the 1200G in the Stereophile review of the piece ? I just find it odd .. I mean if the dude wants the sound of a Rega or belt drive get that and not the G. By changing the torque you are changing the Direct Drive and one of the wonderful things of the Technics. Just my opinion but I don’t get it. I didn’t feel it was a true review of the stock G. I totally get the platter mat tweak and the power cords I get that. Totally. But changing the nature of the torque Direct Drive is weird to me and again changed the nature of the review. Imo. :)

theMot likes this.
  17. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

You will have a beautiful TT setup, I have the Oc9xml and the Herbie on my modded 1210 mk 2 and it sounds great, my aim is to get a 1210G in the not too distant future.

Casey737 likes this.
  18. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Ingenieur and Danmar like this.
  19. Casey737

Casey737 Forum Resident

So, it sounds like the stock 1200G headshell for the AT-OC9XML. Should I get a heavier headshell for the SS Zephyr MIMC or just get another Technics stock headshell. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Also, are the Technics headshells that are sold on the KAB site genuine replacements for the stock 1200G headshells or do I need to go to the Technics site for those?

20. Davey

I don't have a Technics deck or a Soundsmith cartridge, so I'll defer to the wisdom of others here :)

I will say that there are plenty of users here with the Technics arm using the OC9XML and the AT-LH11H headshell, you can see many in the big OC9XML pictorial thread, so it is not off the table, I just thought with the two cartridges you listed it may be a better match to swap your headshell plans. I personally use my AT-OC9XML on a pretty heavy tonearm without issues, even though the resonant frequency is below the customary recommendation range.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2022
    Casey737 likes this.
  21. Casey737

Casey737 Forum Resident

Having lived with the SS cart for a while now I wanted to give the AT cart a fair go so I will mount it to the stock headshell. In time I may put it on the ATLH11H headshell and give the SS a turn on the stock headshell. If there are other headshells that might work better with the SS cart I would be open to them as well.

Davey likes this.
  22. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

LP Gear sells what is called the 'Zupreme' headshell and it comes in 10 g ram and 12 gram weights.
    If the SS cart is indeed a low compliance cart then first I would look into how much the ATLH11H headshell weighs, if the AT headshell weighs more than 10 grams I would try that first.
    It might work best with the 12 gram version, but anything over 10 grams should work fine.
    The OC9 will work best on the stock headshell.

Casey737 likes this.
  23. dcarwin

dcarwin Forum Resident

I suppose the lifter arm can be removed from the AT-LH11H to save weight?

24. Casey737

Casey737 Forum Resident

The ATLH11H headshell weighs 11 grams. I guess the only thing I don't know is once it is mounted if it will align to the 52mm alignment jig. It has two sets of fixed holes as it was really meant to work, from what I can tell, exclusively with specific AT carts. I will likely pick up the LP Gear 12 gram Zupreme headshell for the SS cart.

Thanks for the advice.

ubiknik likes this.
  25. Davey

The headshell slides forward or backward on the connector when you loosen the clamp screw, so you can get whatever overhang you want. The only issue is that with the OC9XML in the holes for aligning the front of the cartridge with the headshell for that integrated look, there isn't much room in the rear when using the Stevenson alignment like Technics since the overhang is lowest of the three common alignments. The wires get pretty squished up, but it works. Again, there are pictures and discussion of it in the big OC9XML thread ... Audio-Technica AT-OC9XML Owners Club and Pictorial

[​IMG]

zombiemodernist likes this.