The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. nomad709

nomad709 Forum Resident

Used numerous headshells on my GR and my favorite has been the Jelco HS-25.

2. tryitfirst

tryitfirst supatrac.com

Shoo headshill, shoo! It's not about any other particular arm. There are a large number of highly-respected arms either with no detachable headshell or with a more rigid attachment than this one, and with more reliable azimuth. I accept it's convenient, but records are not convenient. If you're buying a Technics deck for more than $1000, you're buying performance, not convenience. If you want convenience, get a streamer. That's why I find it incongruous on this deck.

3. tryitfirst

tryitfirst supatrac.com

Ok, but you don't get to use your favourite protractor every time you change your cartridge; a tragic missed opportunity to tinker! ;-)

OldandBroken likes this.
  4. ngower

ngower Forum Resident

Thought my exchanged table would get here today, but got delayed until tomorrow. With snow in the forecast I'd be shocked if it isn't delayed again until Friday.

5. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

It performs fine, though.

6. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

Been a while since I've dropped in. ..Other hobbies pulling at my time.

It's very early (5 am) and enjoying Nick Cave's Idiot Prayer - Live at Alexandra Palace (2020). Oh what a pleasure hearing it on my 1210GAE. This is another album that makes a very strong argument for Direct Drive. Every song has long sustained piano notes against an otherwise quiet background. ..No other instruments, just Nick Cave's incredible voice. The piano notes are rock steady - no pitchy drifting. This album would be a torture test for a belt-drive table. A lovely listen.

[​IMG]

Zomax, noman, Big Blue and 5 others like this.
  7. Charile

Charile Forum Resident

just saw it on facebook
    "Technics price increase in Japan from 2/1. The price for the G will rise by 550 GBP. May be time to buy."
    :righton::righton:

8. sfwya

sfwya Jazzhead

Guys, I can’t get to level the tonearm despite VTA adjustment set to zero on my 1210GR with SAE1000LT. I have to add 2 additional rubber mat to a height that spindle becomes barely visible to actually level the tonearm. Is this normal?. I started with technics manual and I think it was not accurate so seeking your advice.

9. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Sounds normal to me
    [​IMG]

this_machine and sfwya like this.
  10. sfwya

sfwya Jazzhead

Thanks

ubiknik likes this.
  11. mirnuj_atom

mirnuj_atom Forum Resident

The same with Audio Technica at33* series.

sfwya likes this.
  12. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

What's the consensus on the 1200G build quality since they moved it from Japan? Any differences worth noting? I have a GR and would like a G at some point soon.

13. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

The build quality is the same. If you want the G or GR, don't fear where it was made. It will be well built regardless of the country of origin.

MikeJedi, ODS123, Seafinch and 3 others like this.
  14. ngower

ngower Forum Resident

Got my exchanged 1210GR and set everything up. Can't say I've done too much listening since it's coming from the cold and I want to give it a chance to warm up (literally, not in any audiophile way). Just mostly confirmed it was working.

Maybe I'm making it up but the initial impressions are the "quiet" nature of the prior turntable are gone. Bass is fully realized and the midrange isn't noticeably different than the rest of the tonal profile. In short, based on like 5 mins of listening I THINK there was, in fact, something off with my prior table and this seems to be gone. Time will tell.

Darlington phono should be coming in the near future and I'm still trying to narrow down a new cart (2M Bronze, Grado Opus3, AT540ML/SH, etc in the sub-$500 category) to supplement my 2M Blue, probably the last change I can make (e.g. speakers will have to wait) for the foreseeable future

zombiemodernist, Big Blue and drmevo like this.
  15. Luca

Luca Wolf under sheep clothing

By all means, give the AT540ML a chance. It has a perfect balance on the Technics arm, and it tracks like a champion. The Bronze is no slouch, of course... but the AT tracks better.

16. ngower

ngower Forum Resident

My only real aversion to it is I need to go through and figure out if I have any styrene records in my collection. I do want to try an AT cart as I'm tempted by the MC range, I just don't want to risk something that's gonna **** my records up.

17. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

So you get a conical or elliptical stylus to switch out for the styrene, the conical is pretty cheap.

tin ears and Big Blue like this.
  18. Luca

Luca Wolf under sheep clothing

Do like I do: a cheap conical cartridge mounted on an extra cheap Thakker headhsell. End of worries. I also use it for worn mono jazz records from the '50s.

Fender Relic likes this.
  19. ngower

ngower Forum Resident

that’s what the Blue would be for—testing used records and using for styrene. I just need to go through my collection and actually figure out what is or isn’t styrene so I don’t mess it up. It’s on my list to update my discogs anyways so I can do both at the same time

20. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

AFAIK it’s the same thing built by different people with the only difference being a sticker “Made in Malaysia” at the back instead of “Made in Japan”.

21. tryitfirst

tryitfirst supatrac.com

I've just pulled the trigger on a G in time for the Bristol show. £3399.

AudioOut58 likes this.
  22. Ere

Ere Senior Member

I had the same view about the look of the Nagaokas and bookmarked the JT80 as a potential means to obviate the concern. In the meantime got an MP-110H at a decent price and am quite pleased with its sound, so it’s all good. Keeping an eye on the JT80 though for the second system.

23. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

Do you play a lot of 45s? If not I wouldn't sweat it too much. Majority of styrene records are going to be common 45rpm singles, though there are some LPs to be weary of. Yeah you can "mess up" but it's not a frequent possibility. I did shred up a couple secs of one of my GF's LPs last summer but I should have known better. As soon as I heard the shredding I took it off and realized right away it was styrene, it feels pretty different from vinyl, I was just being absent-minded. The density difference is obvious holding the record, even more so if you tap the edge lightly with your fingernail.

In our collection of ~2k LPs that's the only styrene LP we have, and the only time I've shredded anything with a ML stylus in 4 years of running one daily. IMO the superior tracking of all your vinyl records is worth any slight risk so that's my vote for the ML. One major recommendation besides being careful of styrene is to clean all your LPs if you don't already before moving to an advanced profile.

I'd also advise that the VM95ML is also a good option with a 1210GR and Darlington phono stage, it should sound flatter with the standard loading that he offers vs the 540ML and is a bit cheaper to boot. I've been running a VM95ML with GR > MP-7 setup and like the balance it gives, of course personal taste will vary!

recstar24, Josh Halla and Big Blue like this.
  24. Josh Halla

Josh Halla Well-Known Member

Your recommendation of the vm95ml gives me a little confidence I’m on the right track. I have the lp gear at95sa on my gr and it sounds pretty great to my ears. Switched from the art dj pre to the project phono box. Had both laying around, project is slightly better to my ears. Looking forward to stepping up to a much better pre and mc carts. Trying to resist incremental upgrades and hold out until I can make a significant jump.

zombiemodernist likes this.
  25. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Its not that simple black or white me thinks.

If I should ever replace my Japan GR, it will be to a Japan G or the original GAE only.

formu_la likes this.