The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Josh Halla

Josh Halla Well-Known Member

2. RWAudio

RWAudio Forum Resident

It looks really good, but no adjustments for capacitance. A must for me.

BGLeduc likes this.
  3. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

I did the separates with AVR for a while.
    I noticed a bigger improvement going with integrated amp built for 2 ch playback.
    Denon's and others on here would be good options.

https://www.accessories4less.com/ma...s-amps/integrated-amps/1.html?brand_f[]=DENON

4. ngower

ngower Forum Resident

The poster has one cart and even if he gets a second I don’t think capacitance loading is really going to be a major concern. The Darlington recommended also doesn’t have capacitance loading. I think either phono would do them well, and any stage with capacitance loading is probably 2-3x the cost of what’s being recommended so far.

EDIT: their cart suggests 100-200pf. We know the GR has around 32pf, the Parasound is at 150 and I think the Darlington defaults to 100, so before cables it’s 132/182. Assuming they have low capacitance cables in their system they would still be at/under the recommended range.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2023
    this_machine and Josh Halla like this.
  5. Josh Halla

I have a grado Green mounted on a second head shell at the moment. It’s an older one that I only really run on 45’s or scuffed albums. Looking at the at ml 540/740 as future options. Currently using stock cables that came with the GR as I read they are a descent low capacitance cable.

6. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Adjustable capacitance is only important when running a wide range of cartridges or when you just like to nerd out with electronics :p

Triffid and this_machine like this.
  7. ngower

ngower Forum Resident

Stock cables are something like 80pf, so even if you dropped down to a Blue Jean LC-1 (12pf per foot) or similarly low capacitance cable you can knock off ~50pf right there.

I'm not gonna make the case that having the option to load capacitance isn't a decent idea, but for your system right now I think you're better of saving money on a totally capable phono than buying a $1200 phono or something just to have capacitance.

Especially with MC carts, where capacitance is less an issue--you could grab the Parasound and an AT MC cart for under a grand, which would be about the same as any phonos with capacitance loading.

EDIT: And I don't wanna sound like a shill for the Parasound, I'm just speaking from experience that it was a more than sufficient addition to my system. There are plenty of decent options at your disposal.

punkmusick and AudioOut58 like this.
  8. RWAudio

RWAudio Forum Resident

You don't need to spend $1200 to get a good phono stage with capacitance adjustments.

9. Josh Halla

I see the project phono box ds3 has a ton of adjustability for $500. Looks like that, the darlingtons or the para sound are good options all in ballpark same price range. I really appreciate all the opinions, thanks again

10. RWAudio

RWAudio Forum Resident

Even the regular Phono Box S2 has a ton of adjustments, including capacitance. It's only $199.

11. RWAudio

RWAudio Forum Resident

I own the DS3 B, which is basically the same as the DS3. It sounds really good except tonally its neutral to slightly coolish, which isn't a good match for the Technics 1210GR (which is also neutral tonally). The Phono Box S2 Ultra, which I also have, is neutral to slightly warmish in tonality (which is better match for the Technics GR).

Josh Halla likes this.
  12. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Pro-ject Phono Box S3B has all the adjustments on the front and is cheaper than the DS3B.
    [​IMG]

ubiknik likes this.
  13. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Just to be clear about the Darlington Labs phono:
    You can request XX amount of capacitance and gain when ordering a unit, so if you mean to run AT carts then you could ask for 50pf or less and maybe 40db gain.

This would be plenty AT friendly, you can always add capacitance (but you can't take it away) and you can always use a sut for a MC.

14. Josh Halla

I read up on all suggested pres and I’m pretty sure I’m going to pull the trigger on the Darlington mm6. Thanks again for all the input, awesome forum.

aunitedlemon likes this.
  15. RWAudio

RWAudio Forum Resident

Actually, it's the S3 B and the DS3 B

16. KeithL

KeithL Forum Resident

Ditto when ordering from Graham Slee.

17. Holler Wanderer

Holler Wanderer Too much of everything is just enough

Sorry if this has been answered before, but I can't find the answer after some searching.

Anyone know which size Michell clamp fits the 1210GR? The shorter "R" model, or the normal one?

18. Jari S.

Jari S. Forum Resident

I’m using Musical Fidelity MX-VYNL phono stage adjusted to 50 pF with AT VM750SH and I’m very pleased with it.
    MX-VYNL is a bit more expensive than Pro-ject DS3B, but a good choice too.
    Musical Fidelity | MX-VYNL Phono Stage

Josh Halla likes this.
  19. Both variants covered here
    Record Clamp | Accessories | Michell Audio

20. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

21. Holler Wanderer

22. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I've read people use the 'R' version, which should work even if stacking mats leaving less spindle exposed.
    I have a total of 7mm in stacked mats and I can still squeeze the KAB clamp on, FWIW.

Holler Wanderer likes this.
  23. Holler Wanderer

Maybe the KAB is worth a look as well, especially as the price is a bit lower.

ubiknik likes this.
  24. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

You want the "R" for the Technics. I use it and I love it.

25. Prighello

Prighello Forum Resident

Regarding the phono preamp discussion. I chose the Musical Fideliy LX-LPS because of it's ability to load MM capacitance at whatever one wants. Natively the capacitance is basically nill per MF support. Thus, one can add plugs to get whatever value one wants. On the MC side, resistance starts at 100ohm internally and again one can add plugs to get to whatever one wants above that.

I like this sort of flexibility as I can just order plugs from Parts Express along with caps/resistors to suit my needs. For a cheap preamp, this is feature is nearly unheard of. The newer LX2-LPS works the same way from my understanding but does not come with any plugs but they are easy to get and make up yourself. The original version can also be run off a 5V cell phone battery pack as it uses micro usb.

Josh Halla and Jari S. like this.