The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Two GAEs and one G -I think.

2. JonT

JonT Mork calling Orson, come in Orson...

I aligned the cartridge on my G by dropping acid and moving it with my mind.

3. IainS

IainS Forum Resident

Cosmic alignment?

JonT likes this.
  4. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Sorry to interrupt this tangent about cartridge alignment, but I'm suddenly in the market for an SL-1210GR, and all dealers (in the US at least) still seem only to have these on backorder. I'm just wondering if folks here are still experiencing months-long wait times from online retailers like Crutchfield? (I'd prefer to buy from Crutchfield, since they're reputable and I like their customer service.) I did a search for "backorder" in this thread, and saw folks mentioning some pretty long wait times back in 2021, 2020, etc., when supply chains were being hit especially hard. I'm just wondering if things have improved at all?

I'd just get in line right now, but the problem is I'm going to be away for a month this summer, and I don't want this thing showing up on my doorstep during that time. I suppose I could always cancel it if it looks like it's going to ship at that time, but I'm just trying to avoid complications.

5. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

B&H still shows in stock on the 1210gr.

6. Pavol Stromcek

Good to know, thanks. How are their customer service and return policy, though? I don't think I've ever ordered anything from them (at least nothing anywhere near this price point).

7. drmevo

drmevo Forum Resident

I ordered by 1210GR from B&H when they were on sale this past winter, as well as my AT cartridge (separate orders). They were great to deal with both times - you've got nothing to worry about! They often have open box/customer return 1210's, so they must have a decent return policy.

OldandBroken and Pavol Stromcek like this.
  8. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

You could call Crutchfield and Sweetwater and ask when they expect to have stock.

Pavol Stromcek likes this.
  9. Pavol Stromcek

Thanks, this is helpful information.

Yes, good point. Or, if these are on perpetual backorder, maybe they can give me an honest estimate on current wait times.

patient_ot likes this.
  10. ngower

ngower Forum Resident

Ordered from BH and had to exchange my table. Both times shipping was basically next day. No questions asked with exchange. Would buy from them again.

11. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

FWIW, I waited a couple months in 2019. I think most of the time these have been on the market, there has been a backorder, even without the supply chain issues of the pandemic. Just very high demand, I guess.

TarnishedEars and Pavol Stromcek like this.
  12. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

Why not arrange to get it dropped with one of your friends or neighbours who live nearby if you're away?

13. Pavol Stromcek

I just don't want to burden anyone with that and stress out about whether the person is at home when the package arrives, or make them stress out about having to be around when the package arrives, etc. I used to sometimes have large packages sent to my mom's place, but she is getting old and frail, her health has been declining, so I don't want to burden her with that either.

That's good. I've seen some posts here about the occasional issue with these turntables, so I just want to make sure I can exchange it easily if I have to.

14. Petie53

Petie53 Forum Resident

Have purchased from B&H many times for camera and computer gear. Always excellent shipping and awesome customer support. Their store is absolutely huge.

15. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

That's how Fremer does it during his seminar. At AXPONA one year I saw him move the needle and then he moved my soul.

JonT likes this.
  16. Pavol Stromcek

Did you have to pay any restocking fees or full return shipping?

B&H has a lot of negative reviews on Yelp, many of them related to online orders and/0r issues over returns and exchanges. It does make me nervous to purchase a turntable from them. But I suppose if people who have ordered the same turntable from them had a positive experience, that counts for something.

17. ngower

ngower Forum Resident

Nope. Mine was defective so they issued a return label. I just had to call in and talk with them for like 15 minutes but it was relatively painless.

Reviewing my emails, I got the return labels 1/19, return received and processed on the 24th, new order shipped the 24th, item received the 26th. This is also in the northeast where there are a billion delays because of snow.

18. OldandBroken

OldandBroken Forum Resident

Can’t comment on the turntable, but I ordered many photography related things from them. Never had a problem.

19. RWAudio

RWAudio Forum Resident

I bought a Music Hall 5.3 and it had a defect (buzzing). They accepted the return with no problem and even paid for return shipping. I wasn't sure if it was a defect or something with my setup or environment. It was a stellar experience that impressed me. Worthy of Crutchfield. I would definitely buy from them again.

20. 666666

666666 Forum Resident

For those who use the Oyaide BR-12 mat: How do you clean it? I bought one used, and it looks like it could use at least a wipe down.

21. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

These turntables are boxed up extremely well, bullet proof practically so I wouldn't be too concerned with getting it from just about anyone as long as it's new.
    The fact that there are at least a couple of people who have had to return a tt from B&H and had a pleasant experience does give the green light as far as I can see.

22. Oyaide recommend this
    • If it gets dirty, wash it with water and wipe off the moisture with a soft cloth.
    • Do not wipe with oil, organic solvent, or alcohol, as it may degrade the rubber.

Big Blue, patient_ot and 666666 like this.
  23. RWAudio

RWAudio Forum Resident

Value Electronics on their site says they have the 1210gr in stock. They don't charge sales tax to ship outside the state of NY and have 'free shipping'.

Technics Black SL1210GR Turntable - Value Electronics

I bought my 1210gr from them and many other items over the years.

24. 666666

666666 Forum Resident

Thank you!

SeeDeeFirth likes this.
  25. RWAudio

RWAudio Forum Resident

They also double box ship standard.