The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. RMT

RMT Well-Known Member

stuck to the cover, perfect fit in each corner underneath

2. glamorbowie1

glamorbowie1 Forum Resident

Can i use a stock Audio Technica pre-mounted on one of their headshells a VM540? IF so do i need to go less on tracking force or do i need to set arm height differently? SL1210GR

3. KeithL

KeithL Forum Resident

Yes you have to check everything. Joe's outline in post 68 of this thread is what you need.

4. glamorbowie1

Thanks for replying. I got a friend to mount a new at vm540 cart onto the technics headshell, phew - bid fiddly but not as bad as I thought! So what is the current consensus on locking the tone arm base , on or off or doesn't matter?

5. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Some people claim it matters and the manual instructs the user to do so, but TBH, I’ve never noticed a difference.
    I lock the VTA tower just to be sure.

Big Blue likes this.
  6. glamorbowie1

Via Tower? Tone arm base?

7. Oelewapper

In the case of these tonearms, the tonearm base is the VTA tower.
    The ring you’re locking is the ring for VTA adjustment, hence I called it VTA tower.

8. glamorbowie1

OK so then lock or lock off?

9. this_machine

this_machine Forum Resident

What's the possible advantage of leaving the lock off? It saves you 1 second?

Technocentral, punkmusick and JackG like this.
  10. Oelewapper

11. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle

The lock jams the adjuster threads together on one side only, so some people have noticed the pivot assembly angle changes slightly when VTA is locked, which can change the cartridge azimuth a small amount. That has lead some people to leave it unlocked. You can try locking it and unlocking it with bubble level on headshell and make sure the change is negligible. Or just make sure the azimuth is always adjusted with the VTA locked. I doubt it is much of an issue on the new models, but easy to check.

bru87tr, matrix-6, punkmusick and 3 others like this.
  12. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I always thought that I perceived a slight difference for the best, sound is slightly more open, when it is unlocked so I keep mine unlocked especially because quite often I like to change vta on the fly.

13. Itsik

Itsik Forum Resident

I have been using the Goldring 1042 for a while on the 1200G.. I assume it will need replacement eventually.
    I'm really curious about trying out a new MM/MI cart, and would like to try the AT150Sa but have not seen a ton of info.
    Someone posted a while back that the resonant frequency was even better than the VM540ML, which was surprising given they have the same compliance spec and it weighs a bit more.

Anyone have experience with the 150SA on the 1200G?

14. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

It seems the modern version of the AT150Sa is the VM750SH? I've thoroughly enjoyed a 750SH on a 1500C and 1210GAE. While I've not heard very many cartridges, the 750SH is my favorite MM so far.

Itsik likes this.
  15. JonT

JonT Mork calling Orson, come in Orson...

I ran an AT750SH for a long while on my 1200G - good match for the arm. Sonically, I preferred it to the 2M Black and 1042 that I also had (my other system components lean a touch warm). In 2020, I took a leap into MC and I'm still there.

Itsik and aunitedlemon like this.
  16. gmeese34

gmeese34 Forum Resident

I have been using my SL-1210GR with Ortofon cartridges over the past couple years, switching head shells between the 2M Bronze and 2M Mono SE. To swap between these I’ve only needed to adjust the tracking force slightly, but otherwise it’s pretty plug & play. My Bronze is getting worn out and I’m thinking about going for the Nagaoka MP-200, but I’m wondering if this will complicate the head shell swap? Will I need to adjust more than just the tracking force?

17. JonT

JonT Mork calling Orson, come in Orson...

I can imagine that antiskate might need a tweak, going between the Shibata and elliptical styli...

gmeese34 likes this.
  18. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

VTA perhaps depending on cart height. One of the things I really like about my AT33PTG/II + AT33MONO combo is the identical height which means I only adjust VTF and antiskate on my 1210GR when swapping.

gmeese34 likes this.
  19. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

2M and MP are about the same height.

20. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

21. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

link please :)

22. KeithL

KeithL Forum Resident

Azimuth needs checking every time the SME bayonet is unlocked and locked. There's plenty of slop in the fitting.

23. Ingenieur

24. Oelewapper

Nice.
    Looks like the picture is mirrored though, is that because of the camera or is it actually on the shirt like that?

25. Ingenieur

It was an image in a mirror.

Oelewapper likes this.