The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. rlwings

rlwings Well-Known Member

Yes, I suppose you're right... Just wish things could be a bit more definite. :)

2. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

That seems like a large bend. I doubt Technics is accounting for 2 mm movement forward from VTF pushing down on the cantilever.

This may be a case where a Technics-specific protractor might be a good idea to see if you’re still on the arc when the VTF is applied.

3. rlwings

I tried to do that but the Nagaoka MP-200 stylus is so hard to see on the mirrored protractor. Let alone trying to see if the cantilever is straight as well.

4. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Do you have a protractor specific to the Technics overhang arc?

Personally, I find non-mirrored protractors easier to use, for the reason you mention. You shouldn’t really need to check whether the cantilver is straight using the protractor, since you can just make sure it is straight in the headshell. Straight in the headshell with the stylus at the 52mm overhang will be aligned at the null points. What you really want for this case is a protractor that has a line along the whole arc, and then you just want to see if the stylus is on the line at multiple points along the arc. If it is, then you have confirmed the overhang as set with the gauge is still accurate with VTF applied. As long as that is right, and you have the cantilever straight parallel with the sides of the headshell, that should be as precise as you need to get (especially with the elliptical stylus of the MP-200).

rlwings likes this.
  5. Michael Chavez

Michael Chavez Forum Resident

that Technics overhang tool is a thing of beauty
    use it - set it - forget it
    Michael

6. rlwings

Thank you for all the info! Much appreciated... Ya, I should really get the arc protractor for the 1200GR. Would make things much easier.... By the way, I thought we were suppose to make sure that the cantilever is straight and not necessarily the cartridge body due to manufacturing errors. - (Cantilever not always parallel with the cart body)

7. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Yes, the cantilvever is what you want to make straight parallel with the sides of the headshell.

rlwings likes this.
  8. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

52mm +/- 1mm doubt if I'd hear a difference, think too much is made of alignment unless it's wildly out.

MusicNBeer likes this.
  9. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

1 mm is huge when we are talking about a stylus contact less than 0.008 mm deep. You’re putting the stylus in wildly the wrong place if you’re a full millimeter off.

Drewan77 likes this.
  10. rlwings

Well, today I just used the gauge to the best of my ability and it sounds fantastic so I guess I'll just leave it at that... (Until the next time I decide that it's just not good enough!, lol)

Oh, and to make matters worse, I actually have two identical 1200GR's with MP200 carts, so I keep thinking that I'm hearing differences between them!... Which of course is caused by the rooms among other things.

This hobby can really drive you nuts if you're not careful. :)

Big Blue likes this.
  11. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

You probably have it right on. I would be surprised if the stylus is really moving 1-2 mm forward under VTF, it may just look like it moves a lot when you are watching close-up. If it sounds fantastic, you’re done, time to relax and enjoy!

rlwings likes this.
  12. rlwings

Thanks, yes, just going to TRY to stop obsessing and enjoy the music. :)

Andy Saunders likes this.
  13. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

Depth is irrelevant, it's the stylus position in relation to the centre point of the record. The arm traces an arc which is only going to be in the correct position at 2 places. I've experimented a lot over the years and can't really hear much difference between different alignments. As long as I don't hear IGD, i'm quite happy.

Harrocks likes this.
  14. Harrocks

Harrocks Well-Known Member

yes, this - although if I've learnt one thing with my vinyl / hifi adventures it's that I probably shouldn't opine on anything - once a while back i did for the heck of it try a cartridge right at the back of a headshell's slots, and then right at the front. And if a difference was being made it wasn't enough to say better or worse audibly (this after I'd tried to align it 'correctly' using the hifi news two point protractor).
    having said that, can't remember stylus type etc etc

15. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Maybe, but what I’m saying is, when the the size of the object being positioned is less than 1/100th of the margin of error, that does constitute being wildly off.

I do agree setting up with the Technics jig and just trusting it should be fine. I just disagree that it will be a full millimeter off in either direction, or that a millimeter is not a lot.

recstar24 and Drewan77 like this.
  16. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

I agree with Big Blue & based on something I saw a few years ago:

At 1000x scale: Technics pivot-spindle would be 215 metres long (ie 705’ long, approximately a 45 story building). 52mm would = 171 feet (52 metres) & 1mm variance = 3 & 1/4 feet.

At this scale on an LP, typical groove top radius would be approx 3” & bottom radius 2”. The stylus contact point would only be 1”

Think of the potential for error trying to get a 1” patch to align into a 2-3” curved slot over the height of a 45 story building but with a tolerance of 3 & 1/4 feet! (In many cases we are attempting to do just that at -1000th scale at quite advanced ages & with less than steady hands!)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    recstar24 and Big Blue like this.
  17. tzh21y

tzh21y Forum Resident

Has anyone tried using their 1200G/Gr with antiskate set to zero for MC cartridges? I read a thread on another website and tried it and like the way it sounds better than with antiskate.

18. Oliver Meyer

Oliver Meyer In Audio Heaven Up Here

I've ordered the SDS Isoplatmat and Isocover. Heard good things about them and thought I'd give them a go.
    I have the MoFi record weight as well.
    I'll post my findings when they arrive.

19. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I am listening to my ART9 on the 1200G right now with the antiskating dial on zero. It sounds much better than before when the dial was on 1.3.
    I am playing Dexter Gordon's Clubhouse, the Tone Poet release, and it sounds great, the sound is very open.
    I want to play Different records in the next few days before I finalize my judgement but for now, I am impress by the difference no antiskating makes.

displayname, Oliver Meyer and wbass like this.
  20. Harrocks

Harrocks Well-Known Member

no-ones ever really got to the bottom of the mystery of to anti-skate or not, have they ?

just about every cartridge I've ever tried on the hifi news test record has suggested that I need to put the anti-skate way above the tracking force if I'm to get close to equalising the 'buzz' on distorting tracking bands ...

21. Dr0n3

Dr0n3 New Member

Been looking for an answer to the following with no luck. If I purchase a 1200GR can I replace the platter with the lighter SL-1200 MK7 platter and feet? Id rather the lighter platter for faster startup and heavier weight for less feedback.

Anyone who can confirm would be appreciated. Thanks.

22. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

If the GR is anything like the G, it already starts up within a fraction of a second. You don’t need a lighter platter.

displayname and Oliver Meyer like this.
  23. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

The GR is up to speed in a nano second.

displayname likes this.
  24. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

Curious post from @Dr0n3. Not wanting to be overly critical of a new member but I'm afraid it doesn't make sense.

He doesn't own the GR yet, the platter already starts/stops pretty instantly, are Mk7 items available separately/would the platter actually fit and finally - what is it about the 1200GR that suggests "heavier weight (?) for less feedback" is necessary?

Most importantly of course, I believe that Technics actually know best when it comes to such things & the 1200GR is excellent as it is !

displayname and Upstateaudio like this.
  25. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

One of my audio friends has just picked up a 1200G and am looking forward to hearing it early next week.:goodie: