The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

That's an impressive show of strength, I only picked mine up when I first installed it & glad I don't have to do that again :hide:

2. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

After a joke that bad, you're smart to be hiding out!

3. MusicNBeer

Why is Slimer so happy? He got caught in the hotel ballroom!

4. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

The motor is designed for the platter included, and a lighter platter may cause problems. Faster startup is a non-concern. The GR starts up pretty immediately when you push the button.

The feet, I’m not sure if they are interchangeable (I would guess the threads are the same?), but I have absolutely zero feedback through the included feet. What gives you the idea the mk7 has heavier/better feet than the GR?

5. Dr0n3

Dr0n3 New Member

It's amusing to be considered uneducated because im a "new member". I am using the GR for DJing, not for casual listening. The torque and startup are not as instant as people on here think... its 0.7 seconds to full speed whereas other high torque turntables are as low as 0.3 seconds (less than half the start-up time) which makes all the difference DJing. This is where the higher 2.2kg torque and lighter platter question is coming from.

This is also why the heavier base matters because it will be sitting in a DJ booth with 2 10" powered drivers nearby and I want to minimize feedback where possible through the body and feet (the feet on the GR dont have the same level of absorbtion/insulation as the MK7).

Now back to my original question.... Is the MK7 platter compatible with the GR?

Dan Steele likes this.
  6. Dr0n3

Dr0n3 New Member

No.. Actually its 0.7 of a second.

7. Dr0n3

Dr0n3 New Member

Yup, yup faster startup would be better for my use...

8. Dr0n3

Dr0n3 New Member

This is my primary concern that the lighter platter may wobble and damage if not counterweigheted for that level of torque. That said the torque is adjustable.

The feet are interchangable on the GR with older technics TTs, so would suspect they would work with MK7 feet but was wondering if anyone knew for sure. The MK7 has better vibration dampening feet than the stock GR feet.

9. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

:D

Will be comparing ( at a later date) with my SL1200MK2/SME V/Hana SL.....should be fun and nice Coffee too.:cool:

10. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

I don't know the answer, but like others have said this really doesn't make sense. Possible motor and timing issues would be a real concern. Plus why would you ever want a lighter, less damped platter? That's fundamentally a downgrade. And even if a lighter player resulted in slightly faster start up, I would expect the difference to be so low that it would be virtually undetectable by ear.

Big Blue likes this.
  11. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Based on your priorities (faster start-up, less feedback, the DJ model's feet), I'm guessing you're a DJ? You want the features of the DJ model but the mass of the GR. I think you'll find most users of this board are home audio enthusiasts, not pros, and are interested in the GR or the G as audiophile decks. Best of luck finding an answer to your question!

12. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

If starting delay is a concern, Pioneer PLX-1000 takes 0.3 seconds to reach 33rpm, while SL1200GR takes 0.7.

Big Blue likes this.
  13. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Wobble isn’t the only concern I would have, but unless you have used a GR and determined it does not get to speed fast enough, I really wouldn’t worry about startup time. It’s up to speed by the time you’re ready to cue, anyway.

Regarding the feet, I would have to think if the plan is to buy both models and just take part from the mk7, you would be better off with Isonoe or some other improved feet for vibration concerns, rather than spend $1000 just to get the mk7’s feet.

Drewan77 likes this.
  14. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Is not the GR adjustabe?

15. MusicNBeer

Yes, slower than the 0.7 which is high torque.

punkmusick, Big Blue and recstar24 like this.
  16. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

This is reminding me I intended to try the different torque settings, but still haven’t ever taken it off of high. I don’t suppose anybody knows if using a lower torque setting has any benefits in terms of motor life or anything like that?

17. Dr0n3

Dr0n3 New Member

The platter on the MK7 is an dual layer improved vibration dampening platter in addition to being lighter. Im not only intereated in torque for startup from still but increased performance when jogging LPs, so yes it makes a difference. If it were for casual listening I wouldnt care 0.7s is plenty.

18. Dr0n3

Dr0n3 New Member

Since its a coreless motor I think the longevity will far surpass other motors so likely wont need to worry about the wear and tear, these things are tanks...

19. Dr0n3

Dr0n3 New Member

Yeah that is the best approach, but would hate to buy it, bring home and test to find too much delay in startup only to find no work around. Since the MK7 has 1.8kg torque and a lighter platter and still achieves 0.7 startup I figure the same platter on the GR with 2.2kg torque would make quite the difference. I just want to confirm its possible.

As for the feet I would just order them separately if they fit the threads on the GR.

20. Dr0n3

Dr0n3 New Member

Thanks, still a knowledgable group so this looked like the best place to search. Appreciate the feedback either way.

21. Dr0n3

Dr0n3 New Member

Ive considered it but the Technics are still superior build. The PLX builds did have plastic parts earlier (maybe newer models dont) but their isolation wasnt very good with cheaper build quality.

22. Oliver Meyer

Oliver Meyer In Audio Heaven Up Here

Found this video. Hoping to have my mat early next week.

23. Slick Willie

Would have liked to see a comparison with it vs stock and maybe a couple other aftermarket mats.

snorker and Oliver Meyer like this.
  24. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Audiophiles are a weird bunch

25. Slick Willie

:D