The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

That’s a good point. Nobody is running it with the bare platter...

snorker, Drewan77 and Slick Willie like this.
  2. Upstateaudio

Upstateaudio Senior Member

Keeps us off the street.

Aftermath, Slick Willie and recstar24 like this.
  3. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

why do you think he took the stock mat off in the first place?

4. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

If it was because it didn’t dampen vibrations enough, it would be a more illustrative video if it showed that in effect.

Oliver Meyer likes this.
  5. Audioguy55

Audioguy55 New Member

6. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Well sure, but the picture is a modified 1200G, just grabbed from a post in a previous 1200MK2 thread, originally posted at Audio Asylum by Ralph Karsten. He was just having problems finding it, so I helped a bit.

7. Oliver Meyer

Oliver Meyer In Audio Heaven Up Here

Your have no idea :D

Aftermath likes this.
  8. Oliver Meyer

Agreed.
    I have tried the mats so far including the stock.
    I had terrible static issues using the stock mat whick is why I started trying so others.
    The Herbies acrylic mat was ok. It wasn't flat and I didn't like how it elevated the highs.
    I got a Pathwings mat from Germany and I quite like it. Does well with the bass and highs.
    My end game mat will be a Stein but that's a ways off.
    I'll let you know how the SDS mat is

Big Blue likes this.
  9. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I think it may be time for me to investigate mats, as I, too, have been noticing some static, and it’s probably only going to get worse when winter comes. It’s too bad because I like the stock mat other than the static.

Oliver Meyer likes this.
  10. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

The turntable mat business sure gets a lot of their revenue from us midwesterners

Big Blue and Oliver Meyer like this.
  11. Oliver Meyer

I liked the stock mat until I had the Pathways.

12. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

I believe they didn't compare the stock mat because it would have been just as quiet as the one they are pitching. also the main function of a mat is not to isolate the record surface from vibrations in the plinth, it is to dampen the tonearm / cartridge resonance while playing a record. the test proves nothing relevant to improving the sound of the turntable / cartridge.
    it would be like comparing the ride of a set of new tires to the ride quality of driving on the rims.

recstar24, Big Blue and Oliver Meyer like this.
  13. Oliver Meyer

You're absolutely right.
    I'm not even sure how you would even test for that!

14. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

Question:

I noticed on my recently acquired 1200gr that the collar on the headshell connector does not cover the collet fitting to the edge, my mkii collar covers the collet and the two edges are flush. Is this normal on the GR? While not a problem with the stock headshell, aftermarket headshell need a little more tightening.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  15. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Heard a 1200G the other day round an audio friend's house, hard to make out if really good as it was in an unfamiliar system... one thing l certainly noticed was the platter rubber mat was no where near round.... a good couple of mm out l would say, going to go for another listen shortly.:)

16. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

I've had both a pair of PLX-1000's and Stanton ST150's, both start much quicker than a turntable of the original SL-1200 series and the SL-1200G.
    The 150's start up even quicker than the PLX-1000, but only notable when compared side by side.

Can't say anything about the GR though, but also the MK7 seems to be starting up slightly slower than the PLX-1000.

17. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Likely an issue with the Yamamoto headshell. They don't always come with a rubber washer and the metal housing/connector is different than other headshells.

18. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

Even without a headshell on, the ring won’t go over the collect.

19. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Huh?

20. Oelewapper

I have my SL-1200G for about two years now and I'm still very pleased with it, except for one thing:
    When I have my tonearm in raised position (stock tonearm) and move it from side to side, it still makes the annoying "eeeeeeeep" sound.
    I hoped this would fade away, just like with the original 1200's I had (MK2 and M5G).
    I think it's caused by slipping rubber on the arm lift; lifting and lowering has become silently.
    Any thoughts on how to remove this sound?

EDIT: if I remember right, the old deck's lift rubber became shiny, but with the 1200G, the rubber is more matte/grey.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  21. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Why not just lift the arm off the arm rest?

Andrew Littleboy and recstar24 like this.
  22. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

If it’s like the GR, I’ve taken to actually lifting it up and over rather than sliding it along the arm lift.

recstar24 likes this.
  23. Oelewapper

Yeah, I also use it that way, but especially when you want to place a stylus precisely somewhere, it becomes useful to slide (and annoying in this case hehe)
    ...and to have everything running smoothly is also nice to have, on a 4k deck.

macster likes this.
  24. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

jeez...if you just want to harden the rubber, why not a light coat of fingernail polish on it?

Andrew Littleboy likes this.
  25. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Logically, you shouldn't slide it, but raise it. The cone that is part of the tonearm and touches the rubber works together with it to provide a precise raise-lower action. Wearing the rubber by sliding the cone can potentially affect that preciseness.

Andrew Littleboy and Big Blue like this.