The Terror: Limited Series (AMC)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by GodShifter, Dec 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

I binged Season 1 this week and must say it is probably one of the best series I've watched all year. Beautifully written, acted and paced perfectly in my eyes. Can wait to dig into Season 2.

2. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

Be warned the second season has absolutely ZERO to due with this first, but it's still very well done (at least so far).

GentleSenator and ssmith3046 like this.
  3. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

Yes, thanks. I did know that were not connected.

GodShifter likes this.
  4. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i haven't watched past the first episode, and i haven't jumped into the thread since then, but are you saying the next couple are better than the premier?

5. GodShifter

A bit, yes. The series is kind of slow going and the main antagonist isn't that original, but the idea of a show set in the Japanese internment camps during WW2 is kind of interesting. I've enjoyed the two subsequent episodes more than the first. I think it's well done.

GentleSenator likes this.
  6. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I'm reading The Terror right now. I've got about 90 pages to go. I had purchased the book back when Borders was selling off their stock, but I kept putting off starting it. I'm glad I finally did begin reading it because it is quite good.

Yesterday, I found the blu-ray set used at the local Zia Records and picked it up. I'll be digging into that once I finish the novel.

GodShifter likes this.
  7. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Binged season 1. Bleak, desolate and brutal. Brilliantly acted by all, with Harris in particular delivering the goods. Between this and CHERNOBYL he’s had a pretty amazing couple of years. I’m sure he’ll be getting lots of well deserved work. There are some flashes where you can really see and hear the resemblance to his father, Richard.

GodShifter and Haggis Wampovich like this.
  8. GodShifter

I'd be interested in your impressions when you've finished the book. I didn't particularly care for the ending (which is NOT like the TV series) so I'm giving nothing away. I've read the book twice by the way.

GentleSenator likes this.
  9. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I really liked the book, and overall, I didn't have a problem with the ending. The chapter concerning the "spirit world" history was a bit tedious, but Crozier's transformation following his being shot and his new life afterward made sense. You say that the series has a different ending. Hmmm.

GodShifter likes this.
  10. GodShifter

Do you have any desire to watch the series? We could compare notes if so ...

11. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I just found it used on blu-ray a few days ago. So I will be viewing it sometime. I avoided watching it when it was first broadcast because I had the book, and I wanted to read it before watching the series.

GodShifter likes this.
  12. DPM

DPM Senior Member

OK, I just finished watching the series on blu-ray, and I did enjoy it overall. They certainly did an excellent job of capturing the desolation and brutal nature of that part of the planet, and I liked all of the actors involved. Of course, as with most film adaptions of books changes were made during the transition. And though I prefer the storyline of the novel I can see why certain happenings were either left out or streamlined to allow the story to be told in ten 45 minute episodes.

Still, there were a couple of changes made I feel weren't needed. The whole Hickey/Mansun affair should have been left as is, and I see no point in splitting that relationship between those two characters. Also, though the carnival masque scene was well staged, I see no reason for the change as to the cause of the fire. Still, it did make for some interesting viewing. Self immolation tends to stick in the memory. The changes made to the carnival masque scene also affected the reason for the lashes meted out to Hickey and two other men.

Of course, the series had other differences--such as, Lady Silence actually talking, Crozier not being ambushed and shot out on the ice by Hickey, Crozier not bonding with Lady Silence (Silna), Crozier not sacrificing his tongue to the creature, and Crozier, Silna and other eskimos not eventually finding--and then sinking--the Terror years later. I don't recall there being a monkey in the novel either.

There are other differences, but these are the most blatant. Again, I prefer the book, but the series manages to stand on its own. I enjoyed it.

GodShifter likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.