The Thing Limited Edition ( Arrow Video)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Sgt Pepper, Jul 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

well that stinks...EE and DNR?! Geez...

2. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

No, I do not know if an upgrade is necessary for owners of the plain Jane BD. On the other thread there was a dissenting voice to the opinion that the Arrow BD was better, as the Universal and Shout! discs use a cooler color pallette more appropriate to the film.

3. Michael

I'm curious how the Universal one looks as I can pick that one up a third the price of the Shout...

4. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

The Arrow standard edition is already available as a Sainsbury’s exclusive. It will, as you say, receive a wide release later in the month.

Michael likes this.
  5. Michael

region 2 so It's useless to me. : (
    thanks for the info though.

stepeanut likes this.
  6. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

I like one professional reviwer's opinion that the thing represents the evil woman. One of the first voices in the movie we hear is feminine: the "Chess Wizard." She says, "checkmate." She outthinks and outmaneuvers McReady. He says, "cheating bitch" and breaks the machine. This is not a gratuitious scene. It has meaning.

The Thing turns good men against each other, creating mistrust, paranoia, makes them hate and even murder each other, just like an evil femme fatale would, gets under their skin, you can't trust your own friends anymore.

In the end, the entire team is destroyed, the camp leveled.

7. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

According to both Colin's Movie Guide and Blu-ray.com, the Shout!/Scream 2016 release gets the edge over the Universal 2008:

Colin's move Guide: 2016 (PQ A-) - 2008: (PQ B+)
    Blu-ray.com: 2016 (PQ 4-1/2 out of 5) - 2008: (PQ 4 out of 5)

Still though, it may not be a significant difference to justify the added cost to you.

8. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I can see the reasoning in that theory and it's clever but it sounds very misogynistic and I'm not sure Carpenter would approve.

9. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

I can have my US Universal BD for free if you want, problem is I live in Spain and shipping must be around 8/10 €. There's a bunch of US BDs I want to get rid of as I changed to UHD BD but as I live in Spain and they don't have a Spanish Castillian track they are impossible to sale here.

10. Too much DNR smearing fine detail. It was actually worse than the HD-DVD that preceded it. ThemShoutmis a marked improvement and, ifmthemreciews and comments are accurate, it's sad that we can't have the Arrow here as well.

I am surprised that they didn't go for a two disc edition like the Shout but from all reports, it sounds like it was well mastered.

Region free players are pretty cheap,if you're interested n seeing how,the Arrow looks.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    Michael likes this.
  11. Michael

thanks again. : )

12. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Very interesting interpretation!

sentinel90125 and dead of night like this.
  13. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

Frankly that's a stretch. What we have is the film in front of us. If that's what you get out of it, I certainly won't stop you. For me, it merely shows MacReady's character - he can't win, so he'll destroy the game. A human reaction, if you will, and a foreshadowing of humanity being called into question. Shows his audacious problem-solving. Cause-and-effect: he won't let the thing win, even if
    he dies. He'll destroy the game (the camp, and the thing and everybody else with it)

In any case, producer Stuart Cohen has the Arrow and says it's the best it's looked, colors are accurate (unlike the Shout, especially the last part of the film), no artificial sharpening (ala the Shout).

dead of night likes this.
  14. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I like your interpretation, too! That's the fascinating thing about analyzing a work of art. Each person can find different symbolism and meaning, even if the artist (writer and director in this case) never intended it. Which interpretation is correct? All of them, and they can enrich our enjoyment.

15. Spot on interpretation. In fact Carpenter states that in the script (during the commentary as I recall) that MacReddy is portrayed as a man who can use strategy well during chess but Carpenter felt that was giving out too much information. I think Carpenter went the other way.

By the way, Shout has a Steelbook coming out with the 4K transfer from Arrow along with their previous one. While I prefer some of the color timing on the Shout, the Arrow image quality is improved compared to the Shout. I think that Shout saw this as an opportunity to offer the better transfer for less money because they just had to license the transfer unlike Arrow who had to pay for it.

Spirit Crusher likes this.
  16. Michael

Hmmm, The Thing Blu-ray:
    The Thing Blu-ray delivers great video and audio in this excellent Blu-ray release

good enough for me since my heavy disdain for Shout...

17. The Universal has too much DNR. There’s no co parison.

18. Why the distant for Shout? Shout is releasing the 4K upgrade that Arrow put out as part of its steelbook series coming in November. If it is a identical releases, it will look mighty fine.

Michael likes this.
  19. Michael

to what? The Arrow, Shout?
    seems like you are the only one stating this...
    The Thing (Blu-ray)

20. Michael

yea for what? 40.00 bucks? again Shout has reissued a movie AGAIN...I am so sick of their BS and high prices...they are the guys from RHINO who did this crap with their CDs...I paid thru the nose back then over and over...I'm sure Shout will squeak out a third Thing before they are done...LOL.

longdist01 likes this.
  21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There's always the chance they'll release a 4K HDR version. And I think that would be a bad idea, given that this is a somewhat grainy anamorphic film negative, which does not hold up well in HDR (at least in my opinion).

longdist01, Kiko1974 and Michael like this.
  22. Michael

an opinion of which I value. : )

longdist01 likes this.
  23. Why not? If grain and overall picture is better rendered and the only feature used from HDR is 10 bit Wide Color Gamut I think picture could be greatly improved.

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Go watch Close Encounters and Starship Troopers in 4K HDR and tell me what you think. I think they're so grainy, I felt like I was a Roman with my eyes on fire. And this is on a calibrated LG C7 -- no enhancement, no NR, no nothin'.

Kiko1974 likes this.
  25. I have both on UHD BD, US releases, and I like how they look, I think the UHD BD's with HDR were just being faithfull to the source. If both sources are grainy Sony may have done some grain management as I think they did, subtly, leave them as they are or degrain them to death ala Predator. Between DNR to death and no grain management at all I stick with it, let the movie as it is.

Spirit Crusher and Robert C like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.