The "This speaker is too hard to drive for a tube amp" thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by fjhuerta, Sep 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member Thread Starter

I have 1 entry... the B&W DM 602 S3!

In my other thread, I mentioned I was driving them with a pair of Quicksilver monoblocks. Ian said he had found his 604's needed lots of tube $$$$ to sound properly. I exchanged the Quicksilvers for a Rotel RB-1070 amp, and the difference was night and day... suddenly, the B&W's came to life, with tremendous highs, bass control, and a nice midrange. I had to do the same thing he did - add a tube preamp, to add a bit of warmth and presence to the music, and that was it. My system was transformed.

I don't know if there are any more speakers that should be mentioned... the 602's dip to 3 Ohms, so I guess that's part of the problem.

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

My Acoustat 3's. Not specifically for ANY tube amp.

3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Great thread idea. This is the main reason I have not gotten into tube amps. My B&W Nautilus 802s are big, full range speakers that also dip to under 4ohms in the midrange. I think they are rated at 90db sensitivity. I'm sure tubes would be fine at low volumes, but I give them a good crank a few times a week.

Because my current McIntosh amp has a fairly accurate watt-meter for each stereo channel, I can see just how hard I'm pushing it. It is not uncommon form me to hit 40+ watts. Even scarier is the fact I can push close to 400watts when listening to Steve's Creedance SACDs :eek:

I rarely "blast" my system, and prefer an relatively low volume for serious listening, but I'm just so nervous about tubes keeping up with my speakers.

4. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I have the N802s. I drive them to earsplitting levels with the VAC Avatar, with no clipping. Tubes and B&W Nautilus is a great match.

5. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Very interesting.

I just did some reading on your integrated. Looks very cool. :cool: Might be difficult for me to implement an integrated, as I'm using a wonky Sony TAP-9000ES/Lexicon pre-amp piggyback combo along with traditonal stereo and multichannel amps.

My current stereo amp was such a huge investment, I'm hesistant to change. I do long for some tubes, so one day I'm going to figure out how to get some in the line stage.

6. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

I don't know my 604s sound awfully good with my Jolida 502b 60w.

7. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

There was a review of a pair of Thiel 3.6's that the reviewer said really came into their own when played with a VAC 70/70 tube amp. I'm guessing, while there may be some general guidelines, there are no hard and fast rules in this particular area of audio either. Depends on the amp, depends on the speaker.

8. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Ditto, I have AP Virgo III's which because of the impedance curve the review in Stereophile says will stress low-powered amps if the user wants to rock out on bass heavy music. I drive these with my cj P12's at 140 W/Ch (ultralinear configuration) and rock out all the time. It depends on the amp (tubes or not) and the speaker.

9. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member Thread Starter

My B&W's sound very loud through my Quicksilvers.. they are as dynamic sounding as they are with my Rotel. But somehow, the Rotel brings them to life. I can't explain it, though. It's a night and day difference....

10. b&w

b&w Forum Resident

I absolutely agree. Tubes can 'help' with the sometimes less the great sound quality of the sources being used with the revealing B&W.

11. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

Now, is it the wattage availability, or the capacitance?

My tube amps have 4 huge 450 DCV cans each,,,and drive almost anything.

12. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Au contraire. Any good tube amp is very revealing of the source. Steve didn't use VAC gear for years for nothing. I'd describe the VAC Avatar as ruthlessly revealing to the point of being analytical.

13. IanL

IanL Senior Member

I believe the VAC Avatar would fall under the category of $$$$$ Javier mentioned, at least in my world. ;)

I know lots of people love their Nautilus with powerful tube amps. I guess my point in the other thread was that your options are not completely open in this department with the B&Ws. There are lots of low and medium powered tube amps that will not do well with B&Ws, particularly at generous volumes. Pair them with an Avatar, on the other hand, and I'm sure they absolutely sing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.