"The Three Stooges"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jason88cubs, Dec 3, 2018.

1. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident Thread Starter

ANy fans here?

I loved these guys when I was younger

I'm starting to collect the dvds they got out now

Still make me laugh to this day

I prefer Moe, Larry and Curly but I can handle Shemp too

2. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

3. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

4. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

5. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

A forum member who might be interested in this thread.

6. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

Love them. Prefer Shemp even though Curly was great

7. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

been a fan since I was 4! still love them will always love them...never fail to make me laugh...The 3 Stooges are good for the soul!

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

do you think we'll ever get a BD 3 Stooges box? no matter what the DVDs are very good...and the price is still great.

Dave112 likes this.
  10. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

It's been years since I ever found them funny but I love Shemp. I made it a point to buy DVDs with his Vitaphone and Columbia solo shorts. One thing that kind of annoys me is when people lament that the Stooges weren't major stars in the 30s or 40s(or 50s), and that they were cheated out of the recognition and money that they should have had. A few thoughts: in an era that also had Laurel and Hardy, the Marx Brothers, Will Rogers(until 1935 anyway), Eddie Cantor, W.C. Fields and Joe E. Brown(the 30s)and then Bob Hope, Abbott and Costello, Jack Benny(more on Radio)and Danny Kaye-and even Huntz Hall for that matter(the 40s)-how could the Stooges have stood out? They had excellent timing, but little depth, and were really more character actors who did slapstick than they were comedians. As for money, the Stooges shorts rented to theaters at a flat fee without a box-office percentage, and certainly didn't make the kind of money for Columbia that Grace Moore, Rita Hayworth, or Kim Novak did. The Stooges got bigger paychecks than the other Columbia Short Subject stars as it was.

11. Upsiditus

Upsiditus Forum Resident

I've been a huge 3 Stooges fan since at least the age of 9. IMO, Moe, Larry, Curly, and Shemp are the best comedians of all time. The films covered a very wide variety of subjects over the years. It seemed as if the Stooges could make anything funny. The characters in the films, including the Stooges rarely had much depth, but the films themselves were usually extremely funny (at least until around 1953 or so, when they became overwhelmingly remakes). I'm fairly familiar with US sitcoms, and the only one that comes anywhere near the 3 Stooges in humor was "Seinfeld." Not surprisingly, Seinfeld is a big 3 Stooges fan himself.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  12. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Shemp is the one!

bill44, Dyland, Jazzmonkie and 2 others like this.
  13. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

They showed Three Stooges shorts on KARK Ch4 every weekday afternoon when I was a child. I loved that stuff, but I imagine a lot of it went over my head. I haven't really seen any of their material since then, I suppose I need to catch up.

14. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Their physical comedy has yet to be matched. Probably never will because most of it was real, not CGI or camera tricks.

15. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

Love the Three Stooges since I was a kid...
    Never get tired of seeing them...
    Curly was my favorite, but I still liked Shemp.
    I can’t recall the guys name but he was host of Dancin With The Stars.
    He was on Howard Stern and told a story about when he was a young teenager and
    located Moe and Larry and recorded conversations with them.
    Really cool stuff if you can source it out...

16. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I loved the fact that a "Seinfeld" episode contained a reference to a non-existent Stooges short with an extremely authentic name ("Sappy Pappies").

Upsiditus likes this.
  17. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

I love showing this to my HS students...

18. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

Cousin Basel...

19. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Love 'em. After school in the early/mid '70s I'd watch them religiously on Channel 38 here in Boston. I've got all of the Sony/Columbia DVDs from 1934-1951, which include all 97 episodes with Curly and 39 with Shemp (including Curly's cameo in Hold That Lion from 1947). After Shemp, I go for free jazz.

Favorite episodes include 1) Disorder in the Court; 2) Pop Goes the Easel; and 3) Three Little Beers. Top-flight silliness.

20. JFOK

JFOK Forum Resident

Interesting note regarding the "Cousin Basil" scene.
    The film's director Ed Bernds, mentioned how Christine McIntyre was afraid of hurting Shemp as she slapped and pushed him. Shemp told her, "Honey if you want to do me a favor, cut loose and do it right. A lot of half-hearted slaps hurt more than one good one. Give it to me, Chris, and let's get it over with". She got up her courage and, on the next take, let Shemp have it. It wound up as a whole series of slaps — the timing was beautiful; they rang out like pistol shots. Shemp was knocked into a chair, bounced up, met another ringing slap, fell down again, scrambled up, trying to explain, only to get another stinging slap. Then Chris delivered a haymaker — a right that knocked Shemp through the door. When the take was over, Shemp was groggy, really groggy. Chris put her arms around him and apologized tearfully. "It's alright, honey," Shemp said painfully. "I said you should cut loose and you did. You sure as hell did !
    The final punch that knocked him threw the door, actually broke his nose.

21. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

The DVD box set is very reasonably priced.

When I was a kid, they would run them on TV after school, and there would always be an announcement "Now remember, The Three Stooges are fun to watch, but DON'T ACT LIKE THEM."

22. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

That would be cool. I think Spooks and Pardon My Backfire may be the only two shorts available on a legit Sony/Columbia licensed blu-ray. I think there are a couple of other blu-rays that have public domain shorts, but I don’t know about their quality.

MikaelaArsenault and Michael like this.
  23. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Fan here!

24. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

Of course I realize I'm going to pee a lot of people off. I'll add that as character actors, the Stooges were the equal of most of the familiar supporting players in Hollywood, and may have had a niche in features in that capacity(Shemp came close in CONVENTION GIRL and ANOTHER THIN MAN).

25. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Shemp was an in demand character actor, called the ugliest man in Hollywood.
    He often played a bartender or a boxing guy. Or as a soldier on leave. In this film you see bits he also used as a stooge.