The Tick

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by will_b_free, Aug 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident Thread Starter

The first set of episodes aren't as good as the pilot episode. One problem is that Arthur is reduced from having a few facets (in the pilot episode) to only being a ball of stress. And that is a big problem because he becomes unrelateable. That one-note is alleviated somewhat a few episodes in, but it was an irritating step backwards. Second problem is the pace is so much slower than the pilot episode. Not quite David Lynch Twin Peaks The Return slow, but two or three episodes' worth of material has been stretched into a half dozen episodes - and who has time for that?

Positives are Ms. Lint, and Arthur's stepfather (who granted is just in one episode). Lint's relationships are interesting and funny, and she is written (and performed) with real feelings everyone can relate to - self-esteem issues, regrets, fear of isolation versus wanting to strike out alone, etc.. At this point I'd rather see a series about her life trying to be a super-villain, because she is interesting. I haven't googled to see who is playing Lint, but the actress has a Parker Posey vibe that I like quite a bit.

Arthur and the Tick need to develop some depth that compares to that, and fast. They're paper-thin right now.

I had one laught out loud moment, involving (no spoilers) falling.

2. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

I watched the trailer, now I just can't bring myself to watch a whole eoisode, this thing looks absolutely awful..

3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Sadly, the series has not been renewed for a third season.

4. will_b_free

I blame myself for not having started up season 2 yet... and Amazon knows.

GentleSenator and Chris DeVoe like this.
  5. Chris DeVoe

I blame myself for having watched and enjoyed it. Every time I watch every episode of a series, it gets canceled.

Everyone who watched only the first season, or part of it, really needs to watch the second one. It got really fun and was building up some really twisted directions.

scobb, will_b_free and dmiller458 like this.
  6. will_b_free

Sounds like they’re free to ask other networks, but Starz can’t even keep its own series more than 2 seasons, and Netflix ...well Netflix may be a good choice really.

I love the pic Variety chose for under the headline:
    ‘The Tick’ Canceled After Two Seasons at Amazon

7. Chris DeVoe

[​IMG]

What are they going to do without those croissants?

From the article:

The series was well-received by critics upon its release in 2016. Season 1 averaged a 90% critical approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes, while Season 2 got a 100%.​

will_b_free likes this.
  8. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

For those of you who liked the Amazon version but never saw the live-action version with Patrick Warburton or the cartoon version, I recommend both to get your Tick fix. I especially liked the older live-action version. It took me a while to warm up to the new Tick and Arthur, and just when I did it got canceled.

[​IMG]

PhantomStranger likes this.
  9. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

nooooooooooooo!

i hope someone else picks it up. amazon really blew it the way they rolled it out initially. it was so idiotic to break the season apart like they did. i was a fan and almost forgot about it by the time it resumed.

scobb, will_b_free and Chris DeVoe like this.
  10. Disappointed but not surprised. Unless a show wins Emmys/awards or gets major online buzz, expect most streaming shows to get canceled after 2-3 years. It's just what the industry has become.

GentleSenator likes this.
  11. will_b_free

I just caught up with The Tick, watching season 2 in one sitting, and it was a real misstep. Different writers maybe? Felt like some Jessica Jones influence with Dot as Trish and the generally depressing series of events for everyone. Plenty of defeats and failures all around, as is typical for Jessica Jones, sucking the joy out of the story.

The decision not to have a central villain this season was a huge mistake, perhaps made to avoid having to top the wonderful Terror character from season 1. The show simply did not work without a villain. Lint was wasted, essentially benched into a slightly amusing b-story. Why wasn’t she the central villain this season? She was the most interesting character in season 1 and probably the best actor.

(It is painful to see how she was set up to possibly become the villain for season 3, since it is a season which we’ll likely never get. They could have gone directly to that idea by simply having Lint inherit the Terror’s toys and fortune in the first episode of season 2. They probably felt it was too obvious to make her the villain in season 2 but maybe it was obvious because it was the right thing to do.)

The “Tick Vs Bureaucracy” was just the wrong idea for season 2.

If Netflix or something buys a third season, it needs to try to top season 1, not avoid it.

The lobster was really good.

Also, it felt like most of season 2 took place indoors, which was kind of stifling.

I know they can do better, and I hope Netflix gives them that chance.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.