The Treasure of the Sierra Madre DVD and other film restorations...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Todd Fredericks, Jul 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wvk3

wvk3 Senior Member

Re: Huston documentaries

OK, I'm going to be a total Huston geek here. I was watching the documentary on disc 2 of the Sierra Madre DVD, and I noticed that it's longer than the version I have on VHS. There are several different sections that were, for whatever reasons, edited out for the VHS release. Does anyone know the story behind this? Not earth-shaking news, I realize, but I'm just curious....

2. Ere

Ere Senior Member

BTW, the American Film Institute is going to be showing ARH in its vintage restored theater, The Silver, here in MD. It is supposed to be a new 35mm print..... I wonder if this will be struck from the new restoration for the DVD or via analog means?

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

It would be pretty silly to strike a new 35mm print from a digital recombination. If that is how they are going about it, they may as well go with digital projection.

For purposes of video, which is and never will be film, the digital recomposition is an interesting way to go about making masters of technicolor productions and in some cases may be the most viable solution for a high quality presentation.

For an actual film presentation, though, the folks who made the film knew what they were doing at the time and created the darn thing with photochemical processing in mind. Actual film restoration work and creation of prints should be done in the "analog/film" unless it is not possible. Even in the video domain, appropriate references for what the film is supposed to look like should be primarily from unfaded archival prints (in addition to filmmakers' notes, original props & costumes, etc.)

That being said, the "video remix" of Adventures of Robin Hood is pretty entertaining to watch.

Regards,

4. Ere

Ere Senior Member

I asked AFI the source of the new print and they said they'll get back to me with an answer.

5. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

The Wizard of Ozzie

>>>>>>>Steve, when you say the "later MGM Version" did you mean in Laserdisk form?. I have an MGM Laserdisk of The Wizard of Oz. Do I have the True Technicolor print?

Thanks, guy!!

Mikey

6. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

"Glorious Technicolor," a one-hour documentary about the color process narrated by Angela Lansbury............

>>>>>>Hey, does anyone here have this documentary in any form?

Mikey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.