The Truth About S&G "Sounds Of Silence"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joey_Corleone, Jul 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DON MEEHAN

DON MEEHAN Member

I wasn't that familiar with the mastering equipment. I don't recall and I lost track of Steve Snow and some of the others. But I will check with Vlado Meller, who might remember. Next time you visit archives see if you can locate Box 5029 that contained CO81666, my mono mix of S of S. I have some notes that we did a splice and a cut at a later date. It is no secret that our manager at one time, needing more vault space at 49 East 52nd, ordered mono albums scrapped to make more room. And a large amount of tapes were destroyed. I know of no fire that would have destroyed the S of S but it did mysteriously disappear, according to my source.

2. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

That was fantastic.

lukpac likes this.
  3. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Sounds almost like the story of ABC Records in the 1970's, dunnit? In every such case, a dirty rotten shame.

Grant likes this.
  4. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

For what it's worth, here's a segment from the show Futurama that had me in stitches the moment I first saw it broadcast (for whatever reason, the regular English/non-dubbed television version isn't up on Youtube, but this will suffice to get the hilarity across.)

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

And, there are similar, sometimes bizarre stories like this for almost all of the labels.

6. FatherMcKenzie

FatherMcKenzie Forum Resident

I have to say, having been there and loving music, myself and my group of friends (mainly from Junior High on) had our favorites while we anticipated the next great release from anyone. So, yes, your favorite may have been The Beatles but you didn't dismiss others because of some rationale regarding competitiveness or anything else for that matter. You were apt to love Count Five as much as The Yardbirds without giving it much thought. Not because you or we were dumb, but because you were listening to songs more than artists. Of course, you realized that there were one hit wonders and those with careers. There was so much happening so quickly. As you did grow and share, you started to have opinions and critical thought, but it didn't stop anyone from enjoying the music. One could appreciate The 4 Seasons and The Rolling Stones. Of course, there were plenty who picked their favorites and stuck with that, not hearing much beyond that. I guess, in the end, it took all kinds of people with all kinds of points of view.

In the case of S&G versus The Beatles (or anyone else for that matter), how could you not appreciate two artists who had such depth even if their approach to songwriting and recording was different. I thought that was what it was all about as a listener.

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

IronWaffle likes this.
  8. olsen

olsen Senior Member

Luc thanks so much for putting the TV spec up.! Haven't seen it since the day. My memory of it had a few misfires but in general they come off as I remember. Young naive & tuneful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.