The Turtles / Flo & Eddie

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chief, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Ray Blend

Ray Blend One and Two

Yeah, some internet sleuthing has me convinced the latest track on that comp is 1966.

Probably their strongest album, almost despite itself. The '80s Rhino version, for me, is a significant improvement over the original (which I played to death on 8-track back in the day).

pokemaniacjunk likes this.
  2. tonyballz

tonyballz Roogalator

After, but I usually file albums chronologically by release date.

Also re: the earlier Warren Zevon/Turtles conversation, Warren also wrote Like The Seasons, which the Turtles placed on the B-side of Can I Get To Know You Better AND Happy Together AND the Happy Together LP. The Turtles actually put out four singles in a row with a Warren Zevon song on one side:

Outside Chance / We'll Meet Again
    Making My Mind Up / Outside Chance
    Can I Get To Know You Better / Like The Seasons
    Happy Together / Like The Seasons

Here's the clip of Howard discussing Warren:

3. Ray Blend

Ray Blend One and Two

^ Thanks for that. I've been digging some Turtles lately. It's amazing that they never made a bad album, despite being known best for their singles.

cwitt1980 likes this.
  4. Brettlowden

Brettlowden Forum Resident

There's a real cool song on the "happy together" LP called "walking song" thats like a little mini opera that i think is a great record.
    I saw them a few years ago and i thought they were still great. I was glad to get to see them. Gary Lewis played too and he was really good as well.

Revolver, cwitt1980 and apple-richard like this.
  5. apple-richard

apple-richard Overnight Sensation

When I saw them a few years back it was;

Mark Lindsay
    BJ Thomas
    Gary Puckett
    Gary Lewis
    Chuck Negron
    Howard & Mark

6. Ray Blend

Ray Blend One and Two

I first found this track as a B-side on one of their 45s. It's one of my favorite Turtles tracks.

7. chef0069

chef0069 Forum Resident

Loved seeing Flo and Eddie back in the 80's in NY!

brownie61 likes this.
  8. joepepitone

joepepitone Well, I laid my head on the railroad track....

Jeez, I was just looking at some Flo and Eddie videos and nothing was remarkable. Any suggestions?

I did find this interesting one....

Chief, rod and trumpet sounds like this.
  9. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

As a 60's pop music lover, the Turtles are IMO the most overlooked band from this period. Yes, folks know a few of the hits. However, they really did no wrong and they basically changed their style with each album. I think the only thing keeping them from a Beach Boys level of greatness is they didn't have a genius producer/writer in the band.

Chief, jeffrey walsh and BeSteVenn like this.
  10. simoncm

simoncm Forum Resident

Haven't read the whole thread, but if you like The Turtles you should check out their earlier recordings as The Crossfires (the easiest way is probably via the Sundazed CD, Out of Control). As well as some scorching instrumentals they did some vocals that pointed the way to the Turtles' sound.

11. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Forum Resident

Picked up all the Turtles releases on cd recently, awesome band with great deep cuts.