The Turtles / Flo & Eddie

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chief, Jun 21, 2019.

1. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i have tried a bit to find the magic in the turtle's beyond the hits a few times but have not.i even bought the record produced by ray davies(as i am a huge kinks fan) but the copy was pretty beat up. will dedicate today to listening to it on spotify as a drive around a bit.

2. plentyofjamjars67

plentyofjamjars67 Forum Resident

I have an orig White Whale Wooden Head Lp that is in great shape and sounds fantastic. For being comprised of un-used and undubbed tracks, it's pretty solid as a listening experience. Hope you enjoy it, please let us know what you think. :)

I also have the Solid Zinc 2 cd set, which was quite useful when trying to dig deeper 15 or so years ago.

I recently bought the double Lp set on Sire from the early 70s (the one compiled by Howard and Mark with their comments on every track included on an insert). I got this one off discogs specifically for the hard to find song called "Like It Or Not", which has become my favorite Turtles song over the last year.

I also have about a dozen 7" singles on White Whale, but don't we all? ;)

3. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

I have enjoyed the recorded music of the Turtles since back in the day. Had 3 encounters with them:
    Saw the Turtles in the late 60's at University of Maryland - they were at the top of their game.
    Flo and Eddie at a club in Huntington Beach, CA. in the 70's They were at the topic of their satirical peak. I remember them doing a "commercial" for a feminine hygiene product endorsed by a well known female singer who has had "relationships" with many male rockers. Cringeworthy now, like early Howard Stern.
    "Turtles" at Happy Together Tour about ten years ago. Sad to see them and other acts reduced to playing nostalgia act to "fans" who only knew their top hits. It's even sadder now to hear Howie is too ill to even do that. Apparently though it is a back problem and not something more dire.
    BTW here are his thoughts on the death of some fellow rockers:

CRR Interview - Howard Kaylan: A Turtle Comes Out Of His Shell

trumpet sounds likes this.
  4. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I’m a big fan. They were obviously appreciated by other musicians because they sang back up for everyone. Zappa was a demanding task master and he invited them to work with him. They had a great collaboration that would not have lasted if Mark and Howard didn’t have the chops. Once you discover there is more to them than Happy Together their music is a gift that keeps on giving.

5. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Moving Targets is very much underrated!

6. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

Mark is an associate professor at Belmont U. in Nashville.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  7. JohnBR

JohnBR Forum Resident

Why not Al Nichol? He was a talented guy. Is there bad blood between them?

Hamhead and apple-richard like this.
  8. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Al Nichol unfortunately wound up with a terrible drinking problem. Has had a few DUIs and as a result is in poor health. I was also disappointed no thoughts from him in the Solid Zinc set. He was my favorite Turtle when I was a kid. I've chatted a few times with Mark via email over the years. Great guy.

9. Shriner

Shriner Forum Resident

I still find it hard to believe that there never were any outtakes/unreleased tracks for the Flo & Eddie years -- and no official CD release of all the "Dirty Duck" songs (except for the few on that vinyl 3-album set) after all this time. All the F&E albums -- except that weird reggae album -- are extremely solid.

10. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

In the fall of 75 flo and eddie were support for Stephen stills on his tour. We got in a couple of the shows on their guest list. I recall them joining stills for Judy blue eyes. Stills was so impressed he used them on his next release. There's a video of their opening set from NJ on Wolfgang's vault.

Buddybud and trumpet sounds like this.
  11. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I was never a 'fan' of the Turtles. But they were 'special' on the Mothers- Live record. 1st time I heard it I remember how shocked, and delighted, I was when they broke into Happy Together!

fr in sc likes this.
  12. apple-richard

The first 45 I bought new with my own money was Sound Asleep, I was nine. Various LPs and CDs.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Great article. Thanks for the Heads Up.

I plan on getting his book.

I wonder what kind of Bad Stuff Brian Jones was up to. Anyone know?

14. pokemaniacjunk

pokemaniacjunk Forum Resident

Have you heard Howard's solo album Dust Bunnies

15. pokemaniacjunk

pokemaniacjunk Forum Resident

They're all alive except for Don Murray who passed away in 1996

t-man 54 likes this.
  16. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

Thinking of getting that album collection. How is it?

apple-richard likes this.
  17. apple-richard

Sounds very good as do Golden Hits and More Golden Hits that were RSD limited issues. Definitely a plus that Howard and Mark own the master tapes and they were used for all the reissues.

cwitt1980 and RedRoseSpeedway like this.
  18. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

I don’t own any Turtles whatsoever so that would be a nice way of getting them all, as the CD boxset is expensive and OOP now, and I can stream the bonus tracks until I get individual CDs. But yah, all 6 of those albums in one place on vinyl sounds great

apple-richard likes this.
  19. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Always loved this goof. The clip is from a 1976 Martin Mull special. That's future Cars Greg Hawkes on clarinet.
    Pearls of wisdom - Sometimes it's a fine line between Joni and Yoko.

Flo & Eddie - Nikki Hoi

20. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Can't confirm for sure but this might up the ante.

oldsurferdude and Chief like this.
  21. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I own it and I hate to say it, especially being a huge fan of Howard's "Turtles hits" voice, but that album stinks with a capital "S".

Revolver and pokemaniacjunk like this.
  22. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

^^^

I mean, seriously? Lousy production and the songs (for the most part), just have no real staying power. The magic voice is sadly fading ...

23. apple-richard

The six Sundazed CDs are great since they include the single only releases as bonus tracks. I especially like the two Rhino CDs 20 Greatest Hits and Turtle Wax Greatest Hits Vol 2.

melstapler and joelee like this.
  24. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

I can handle Just Another Band but that is about it.
    Now I have overdosed on Electric Warrior.

25. apple-richard

Me too, so that's two of us. We are a majority now.