The U.K. 70s Singles & Albums Chart General Discussion Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Jun 5, 2022.

1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

I can remember trying to listen to the Radio Luxembourg charts on (I think) Tuesdays. The reception always seemed to be terrible. As previously stated, they did appear to be ahead of the U.K. charts.

Northernlight, Jarleboy and Randoms like this.
  2. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Radio Luxembourg's reception, from your description, seems to sound similar to trying, in the 1970's, to listen to Windsor, ON radio station CKLW (then still having some pull as a Top 40 radio station, in spite of the occasional CanCon) - from your home in New York City. (Interesting that no U.S. label took on that particular T. Rex record. And nobody in the city seemed interested in hearing a song about a woman holding a frog in her hand there, as the city back in 1975 was teetering on the brink of bankruptcy and the infamous headline "FORD TO CITY: DROP DEAD" outraged many New Yorkers.)

Westerwick and Bobby Morrow like this.
  3. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

What a great place to start, Metal Guru was number one before I started buying records, but somehow I ended up with a copy and (Children Of The Revolution) by 1974.

Absolutely love Metal Guru and to this day regularly play it twice in a row.

4. Bobby Morrow

As you know, I wasn’t listening to the radio in 1972, but I feel sure I would have bought all the T.Rex singles from that year if I had been.

By the time I started buying records in 1973, Truck On Tyke was out and I found that quite easy to resist.:)

bob60 and Randoms like this.
  5. steelvelvet20

steelvelvet20 Forum Resident

Its not a bad little song. The US took it for what it was, where the UK press were determined to destroy this Eurovision act who dared to release more music.

Jarleboy likes this.
  6. steelvelvet20

steelvelvet20 Forum Resident

Their first 2 albums, dreamboat Annie and little queen charted briefly in the UK. So there was a market to exploit.

Bobby Morrow and Randoms like this.
  7. Randoms

I remember picking up the sleeve for Little Queen, funnily enough in W.H. Smith in Cromer. Not sure what made a 14 year old hone in on it!

I bought it and Dreamboat Annie a few years later.

8. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Only one big one - "Substitute", a cover of a Gloria Gaynor A-side. (Originally recorded by The Righteous Brothers. Fun fact: It was the A-side to the B-side "I Will Survive". Gloria´s version is less earthy, more "disco".) Wikipedia adds: "A major success in Europe, Clout scored more Top 10 singles, notably "Save Me", "You've Got All of Me" and "Under Fire". Clout's cover of "Substitute" reached No. 67 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100. Clout split up in 1981, shortly after the release of their last major single, a re-arrangement of the Hall and Oates song "Portable Radio". In 1992, their greatest hits package was released on CD, and it was re-mastered as The Best of Clout in 2010."

They also covered Eric Clapton´s lovely "Let It Grow". As far as I know, it was never a hit anywhere.

Edit: "Let It Grow" hit No. 33 in New Zealand.

9. W.B.

By the time "I Do..." reached its U.S. peak of #15, ABBA had already broken through with "SOS," had their second #1 in the UK with "Mamma Mia," and were a few months off from putting out "Fernando." Much had changed for them in-between UK and U.S. releases o' that.

Randoms and Jarleboy like this.
  10. kundryishot

kundryishot Forum Resident

Sandy Shaw, Dusty and Cilla were huge stars in the sixties, The stand out female vocalist of the 70s has to be the underestimated Elkie Brooks

Jarleboy, Randoms and sotosound like this.
  11. Mysterious Traveler

Mysterious Traveler Forum Resident

Probably my pick for best UK single of the decade.

12. Bobby Morrow

I think the U.K. press weren’t used to Eurovision acts going on to further success. I don’t recall Teach-In becoming a chart force.:D

I do remember So Long, Ring Ring and I Do getting airplay, but I don’t think anyone took much notice of them until SOS. Then they were pretty much irresistible.

13. Randoms

Whilst I totally agree about people only caring about the BBC charts, especially with it's significance to Top Of The Pops, but I even had suspicions about God Save The Queen "at number 2 is a song called God Save The Queen from the Sex Pistols", on the day I heard that announcement on Radio 1.

Speaking to the little old lady in the record shop I used to sneak out of school to visit, GSTQ was outselling Rod's suspiciously cheap double A side in many shops.

One of the unconfirmed rumours, was that both I Don't Want To Talk About It and The First Cut Is The Deepest were being counted.....

45 years on and with Rod performing at the Queen's Platinum Jubilee celebration, it seems strange to be posting this:

Sex Pistols' 'God Save The Queen' becomes top-selling single in UK for Platinum Jubilee

14. Randoms

Only one big one?

15. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Eh... Are you suggesting something? :winkgrin:

LoveYourLife and Randoms like this.
  16. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

Continuing evidence of their flawed judgement, or a rare glimpse of a hitherto well concealed sense of humour? I mean, it might have boosted their punk cred if they'd had Nagasaki Nightmare/Big A Little A at #1 that same year, but Splodgenessabounds? LOL

Jarleboy likes this.
  17. Randoms

It was an outstanding performance and who said that singers use guitars as props? :winkgrin:

Jarleboy likes this.
  18. Randoms

Actually after reading @dwilpower's excellent post, I realise I have better recollection about:

[​IMG]

than the shop I first saw it in, 45 years ago!

It was in fact Woolworths in Cromer and not W.H. Smith.

Cromer, a sleepy North Norfolk, Victorian holiday resort, hosted the Sex Pistols on Christmas eve.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2022
  19. kundryishot

kundryishot Forum Resident

Cromer: A good place for crabs
    Make of that, what you will ;)

LoveYourLife, sotosound and Randoms like this.
  20. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

Lol.

They recorded the original of Rainbow's "Since You've Been Gone" as their follow-up to "Substitute".

Jagger69, Randoms and Jarleboy like this.
  21. Randoms

Yeah, take care on Norfolk broads!

For those outside the UK, Cromer is famous for its crabs and Norfolk for the Broads

Jarleboy likes this.
  22. John54

John54 Senior Member

Yeah I enjoy Metal Guru, maybe the dictionary definition (another one?) of "simple but effective".

23. W.B.

We now go to the period from April-June 1970, and the number ones that made the NME, Melody Maker and Music Now charts. Again, the same principle and protocols hold.

Noticeably missing from all three "other" charts in the top spot was Dana's "All Kinds Of Everything" - the first "official only" #1, out of a total of five for the whole decade, and 11 up to 1988.

So here goes:

New Musical Express #1 hits

25 April: "Spirit In The Sky" by Norman Greenbaum
    9 May: "Back Home" by England World Cup Squad '70
    30 May: "Question" by The Moody Blues (BMRB, MM, MN #2)
    6 June: "Yellow River" by Christie
    13 June: "In The Summertime" by Mungo Jerry

Melody Maker #1 hits

23 May: "Back Home" by England World Cup Squad '70
    30 May: "Yellow River" by Christie
    20 June: "In The Summertime" by Mungo Jerry

Music Now #1 hits

23 May: "Back Home" by England World Cup Squad '70
    30 May: "Yellow River" by Christie
    13 June: "In The Summertime" by Mungo Jerry

24. Bobby Morrow

Bolan’s U.K. chart success run from Ride A White Swan towards the end of 1970 up to Groover in the middle of 1973 was one of the best I’ve ever seen.

T. Rex | full Official Chart History | Official Charts Company

Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
    bob60 and Jarleboy like this.
  25. Bobby Morrow

A few Bowie cuttings from 1972.

[​IMG]