The U.K. 70s Singles & Albums Chart General Discussion Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Jun 5, 2022.

1. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

I love Harry Belafonte, but I prefer Boney M.s disco version to his sombre one. Try to stop me singing along! (Oops... Yes, please stop me! Nobody wants to hear that!)

AFOS and Bobby Morrow like this.
  2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

The tape thing is hilarious. Poor Liz.:D

Curiosity, bob60 and Jarleboy like this.
  3. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Yes. I felt for her. She deserved better.

On the other hand, she performed her new single - a cover of "Mocking Bird".

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  4. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

"Rivers Of Babylon" was the only Boney M track to have a degree of popularity in the U.S., peaking at #30.

Jarleboy likes this.
  5. Northernlight

Northernlight Forum Resident

You're lucky. I not only have 'Wanted' on several comps, but also 'The Chosen Few', 'Love Of My Life', 'I Think I'm Gonna Fall In Love With You' and 'A Rose Has To Die' on others. Comps have their downside. In all fairness, they're okay as mindless radio fodder, but I would never go out of my way to listen to them.

Jarleboy likes this.
  6. Northernlight

Ooh, saucy!

AFOS and Jarleboy like this.
  7. Northernlight

I always imagine the cat that was sexually harassed by Pepe le Pew in all those cartoons sounded a bit like them... "Ooh! Here comes that skunk again..."

Jarleboy likes this.
  8. Northernlight

I love sarcasm.

AFOS and Jarleboy like this.
  9. Northernlight

I liked their early disco stuff, like 'Daddy Cool', 'Sunny' and 'Ma Baker', but not the later stuff. I can tolerate it. If I ever hear anything modern in a shop - and that's the only time I ever hear anything modern - it makes me appreciate even the garbage of my era.

Jarleboy likes this.
  10. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

Their version of The Yardbirds' "Still I'm Sad" - released on the b-side of "Daddy Cool" - is really cool, daddy.

11. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Talking of Barbara Dickson......

Going through my old clippings and found the Daily Mail's TV guide for Xmas '87. Wouldn't have minded being a guest at that party!

[​IMG]

Jarleboy, Bobby Morrow and AFOS like this.
  12. W.B.

How much of a cut did The Margo Feiden Galleries (which represented master caricaturist Al Hirschfeld) get for this attempt to copy his style? Or was it him and they took out his signature at bottom right?

Jarleboy likes this.
  13. Ignominious

Ignominious Knock and Know All!

I think I've exhausted the music seam that is/was The Dooley's.....!!

I vaguely remember one of the lead women singers getting married (to another band member?) in my local newspaper at the time - probably the early 80's. I'm sure the wedding was in Timperley and it was referenced in the Altrincham Guardian as they were deemed to be local celebrities at the time.

Jarleboy likes this.
  14. Ignominious

Did Boney M's hit song 'Belfast' not cause any controversy at all when it was released in the late 70's? It certainly seemed to me to be a little bit political at the very east in terms of the statement the lyrics were making. If it did, it clearly passed me must by in my young teenage years..

Yam Graham, Jarleboy and bob60 like this.
  15. Ignominious

Clearly another example of where the 'facts' in Wikipedia are not correct..!!:faint:

Jarleboy likes this.
  16. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I love seeing artists years after their sell by date has expired, and yet they are still clinging on by their fingerprints.
    A few years ago at some carnival thing in Spain I saw Baccara ‘perform’.
    By this time the two original members had fallen out, and each of them was performing under the Baccara name but with a new member.
    I don’t know which version I was watching, and all these years later they look so different anyway would I have even noticed.
    Of course there was only one song that people wanted to hear, and only one other song that some of the audience might of remembered.
    Of course they were miming to backing tracks, no backing singers, no dancers on the stage.
    On the plus side it was free and I got to tick it off my bucket list…:D

17. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

Slops bucket list?

bob60 and Jarleboy like this.
  18. Bobby Morrow

Not really music related, but I thought we take another look at ITV’s programme schedule for 45 years ago tonight.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There’s no wonder so many of us were depressed back in the 70s.:D

Andy Smith, Jarleboy and Curiosity like this.
  19. W.B.

The listing for Tell Me Another reminds me of an old Benny Hill quote: "Reg Varney and his broter Manto . . . "

Jarleboy and sotosound like this.
  20. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

I know what you mean. We had plans to see Dr Feelgood. No original members. Then COVID hit. Tour cancelled, as was most things. They’ve never rescheduled. I speculated to the club that maybe it was a Feelgood tribute? I was told that it was the Feelgood. Bloody COVID….

21. Bobby Morrow

Yes Sir was a fun pop single in 1977. That said, I don’t think many people wanted Baccara to expand on it.They were never going to be an albums band.:D

It goes back to that old Frank Sinatra quote. If you have a hit record, you have a career. I’d imagine most folks, certainly of our vintage, know that hit so it makes sense that when Baccara perform it, regardless of who’s in the duo, people would applaud and cheer.

Yes Sir had a bit of a sensual vibe to it, and we Brits love a bit of smut. We were lucky in 1977 as Mari Wilson’s Telephone Man also did well.:D

Last edited: Sep 2, 2022
  22. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

Millicent Martin. Then, one cog in a cheap daytime TV schedule filler. Now, in her eighties, mopping up the big bucks as a character actress in Hollywood, most recently with Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin in Grace and Frankie.

23. Bobby Morrow

I wasn’t sure if she was dead or not. A lot of people on those pages are.

Jarleboy likes this.
  24. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

No, she is 88 and was very funny on that show, which she appeared in for the last four or five seasons.

Jarleboy likes this.
  25. Bobby Morrow

I dimly remember a US sitcom she was in. Was she an air hostess or something in it?

Jarleboy likes this.