The U.K. 80s Singles & Albums Chart General Discussion Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Jun 9, 2022.

1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

Record Mirror still liked Adam in 1982.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Bobby Morrow

That would be quite saucy for the time, wouldn’t it?!

3. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Speaking of quirky this oddity made the charts here IIRC but not sure if it made the UK charts..

Left Field, Bobby Morrow and pwhytey like this.
  4. Bobby Morrow

I don’t recall this.

AFOS likes this.
  5. pwhytey

pwhytey Forum Resident

I just found out they were Belgian, so it may have made the UK charts? Can't believe it was such a big hit here — number 6!

AFOS likes this.
  6. Bobby Morrow

Those were the days.

[​IMG]

7. pwhytey

pwhytey Forum Resident

Spandau trumped Adam a few years later by taking it all off. This poster came with my 1985 pressing of Parade.

[​IMG]

8. Bobby Morrow

I had Parade. Don’t remember the poster…

It was a long time ago though!

9. pwhytey

pwhytey Forum Resident

I think it may have been unique to Oz. It was a special 1985 tour souvenir pressing. Yellow vinyl and poster. My Mum raised her eyebrows when I put that on my wall, let me tell you.

Spandau Ballet - Parade

10. Bobby Morrow

We were lucky to have so many great pop mags back then.

[​IMG]

Nowadays the kids will just look up info on Digital Spy or something!

11. pwhytey

pwhytey Forum Resident

Yes, the UK pop mags were great. I used to buy them all: Number One, Smash Hits, Record Mirror, Zig Zag. I read NME and Melody Maker too. Of course, they were several months old before they reached newsagent shelves down here!

I'm so glad I started reading them as it really informed me about what was going on in the UK. I might have missed out on some of my favourite music if I'd only read local publications.

12. Bobby Morrow

It was a genuine joy to go to the newsagents every Thursday and pick them up. Smash Hits, in particular, was huge here and by far the best of the weekly (or fortnightly) pop mags.

13. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Indeed. I think he sort of blotted his copy book with the double whammy of "Daddy´s Home" and "The Only Way Out". Both are treasured TopTen singles in the UK, though I am not all that enamoured of them, but in the US, they barely charted. Even "Wired For Sound", which preceded them, struggled.

So, sadly, his career went south. :shake:

14. Bobby Morrow

Yes, in the States his career went quickly downhill, but in the U.K. he had some of his biggest hits still to come.

15. Bobby Morrow

Tina Turner’s biggest selling album gets a poor reception in Record Mirror in June 1984.

[​IMG]

16. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Yep same here - how I discovered the Smiths for one as they weren't exactly burning up the charts down under. Smash Hits was my main one but sometimes bought Number One and others

17. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

I kind of like "The Only Way Out" perhaps the last of his singles that I enjoyed. Checking out every hit it's incredible how many more huge hits he had post 1982 including 3 more chart toppers. All the way up to 2008

18. Bobby Morrow

Loved this album.
    [​IMG]

iainoco, Surly, ippudo and 7 others like this.
  19. pwhytey

pwhytey Forum Resident

'Wired For Sound' will always be my favourite Cliff song (although I also love 'Dreamin'). 'She Means Nothing To Me' with Phil Everly is great fun — it's a real harkback to the 60s sound. It hit #9 in the UK in 1983.

20. Bobby Morrow

I love those songs. The 80s was Cliff’s best decade.

21. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Wired For Sound is great, he had an excellent run of singles from about 76/77 to the early 80's

22. Cledwyn

Cledwyn Forum Resident

The early 80s are probably my favourite period for the UK singles charts with such a wealth of great young pop bands around plus some other enjoyable oddities and quirks in the mix too.

One of the many bands I followed back then were the Human League. Phil was so cool and I had a bit of a crush on Joanne. I really love Dare and also enjoy Hysteria - especially the three singles. However, my favourite track is possibly Fascination, with its catchy synth 'horn' riffs, which made No.2 in the spring of 1983. It's a shame it (and maybe also Mirror Man) weren't on Hysteria, which would have benefited from the inclusion of such a strong and upbeat track.

:)

23. Bobby Morrow

I’ve always said I wished those 2 songs were on Hysteria. Even though Mirror Man was a year and half old by the time the album came out. Still, I love Hysteria as it is. The Record Mirror review of it was excellent, as I recall.

domfjbrown, Surly, Jagger69 and 4 others like this.
  24. Mezepokaj

Mezepokaj Forum Resident

"Turner's instructions seem to have been 'scream your butt off baby'"

I can't even imagine this lady's take on Whitney, Mariah and Celine, who were just around the corner. :laugh:

25. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

'Mirror Man' & 'Fascination' would have been great additions to Hysteria,but also 'You Remind Me Of Gold' . Keeping Martin Rushent on as producer would also have made a huge difference

bob60, ChoonyFish, Jagger69 and 5 others like this.