The U.K. 80s Singles & Albums Chart General Discussion Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Jun 9, 2022.

1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

No, not a hit here.

Jarleboy likes this.
  2. Bobby Morrow

I can’t remember if I’ve posted this one before. I know @Eric_Generic loves The Blue Nile so I might have done.

3. pwhytey

pwhytey Forum Resident

No, I think this is a newbie.

4. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

You might have posted it a while back, but I do remember this one quite vividly anyway because it was OMD reviewing themselves and them choosing DM as single of the week always stuck in the memory bank.

EG.

Jagger69, Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  5. Northernlight

Northernlight Forum Resident

Would you like a saucer of milk?

Jarleboy likes this.
  6. Northernlight

Northernlight Forum Resident

Very cutting about Toyah and Billy Idol. Nice to see 'Labelled With Love' getting a good review. I had the Landscape album, From the Tea-rooms of Mars .... It sat alongside In The Garden as my musical equivalents of Tales Of The Unexpected... In a way, it was a rather wonderful time.

7. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

The Ultravox influence shines through on this one. Perhaps directly influenced by the Vox's "Visions In Blue"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLtvyFCSy7o

Jarleboy and OptimisticGoat like this.
  8. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

The review for the brilliant "Rattlesnakes" is interesting, it almost come across like a typical snarky Smash Hits review.

9. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Odd that this great tune from 1982 didn't make the charts at all in 1982 (#11 in Australia) but it's their best IMO (aside from the amazing cover of "The Wild Colonial Boy") Throw in "Girls Can Get It" and that's all the Dr Hook I need

10. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

I saw Dr Hook at Sheffield City Hall in June '76 on the 'A Little Bit More' tour. Came out with my sides aching. Apart from being splendid musos with fantastic material, they were also comedy geniuses, spinning off the audience. Would not hesitate to see them again.

Jagger69, Randoms, AFOS and 1 other person like this.
  11. LoveYourLife

LoveYourLife Forum Resident

I paid £45 for a mint copy of the original US CD pressing of Davis's Policy album some years ago, my second ever most expensive CD purchase. "Don't Tell Me The Time" should have been a massive hit, in the US at least.

Jagger69, AFOS, pwhytey and 2 others like this.
  12. LoveYourLife

Ah, the return of Sunie...
    The Associates "A"
    Decent offering from the boys; the closing track on The Affectionate Punch album
    The Creatures "Wild Things"
    I sort of liked it at the time but I now really struggle with even two Creatures tracks in a row in a way I don't with a full Banshees album
    New Order "Procession"/"Everything's Gone Green"
    The former always sounded like a cross between Krautrock and post-punk to me; the latter and better track sounds like an edgier less dancey "Blue Monday"
    Squeeze "Labelled With Love"
    Good band, not too keen on this one but I can see the appeal
    Tom Tom Club "Genius of Love"
    A little slice of epic. Not even yet a twinkle in Mariah's eyes...
    Tom Verlaine "Always"
    I like this a lot but it sounds quite dated today; even then Television's Marquee Moon seemed like a million years removed already
    Kirsty MacColl "See That Girl"
    Elvis in the chipshop aside, this lady could do no wrong

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
    Jagger69, AFOS, pwhytey and 3 others like this.
  13. LoveYourLife

"Forever Young" is definitely a cult 80s track for me and soundtracked part of my youth as did the entire debut album from Alphaville. Despite the single peaking at #98 in the UK, it has apparently sold over 200,000 copies here, presumably on downloads? Or maybe streaming, the current chart rules baffle me...

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
  14. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Yes I would imagine the vast majority of those 200,000 "sales" are via the streaming equations.

EG.

Jagger69, Jarleboy and LoveYourLife like this.
  15. Bobby Morrow

Streaming is great isn’t it? It means nobody has flops anymore.:)

16. Bobby Morrow

Singles and albums from this week in 1987.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

What a bunch of humourless album reviews. And the dig at Australians in the Pseudo Echo review…:wantsome:

18. pwhytey

pwhytey Forum Resident

Most unnecessary! Bloody poms!

19. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Not RM's finest week. Pretty much all the reviews miss the mark. Well, maybe the Jagger one is justified.

EG.

20. pwhytey

pwhytey Forum Resident

I picked up two records yesterday by artists that have been discussed (one of them at length!) in this thread: North of A Miracle by Nick Heyward and The Changeling by Toyah.

You were all 100% correct about North — what a fab album, and really great sounding. It all flows so well and the songs are super catchy. I love it. The Changeling was a real surprise package. It only has one hit on it ('Brave New World', my new favourite Toyah song) but I think it's a better album than Anthem. It's the same prog-pop sound but the songs are stronger.

I think this thread has helped turn me into a Toyah fan? :help:

21. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Martha was on Countdown quite a few times in the 80's, think she even guest hosted one episode. Anyway here's a fun interview with Molly from 1985..

22. Bobby Morrow

I’ve not heard The Changeling, but may well check it out when it gets reissued.

I’ve listened to Anthem a couple of times. It’s definitely not as amazing as Toyah said! I hear bits of Adam & The Ants and Siouxsie & The Banshees in there too. It’s a patchy affair though.

Which reminds me, who came first, Toyah or Siouxsie? I think the latter had the career and respect the former wanted and imagined that she had.:D

I’m guessing both were knocking around at the same time, but who influenced who?:)

Jagger69, pwhytey and Jarleboy like this.
  23. Bobby Morrow

I really loved Wow! and actually remembered that miserable review from back in the day!

I’ve never heard any of the other albums, but it appears Five Star was the LP of the week!

24. Bobby Morrow

A few pages from Record Mirror this week in 1984.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. Bobby Morrow