The U.K. 80s Singles & Albums Chart General Discussion Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Jun 9, 2022.

1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

Peter would be 65 now.

2. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Found them...

[​IMG]

EG.

3. Bobby Morrow

I used to like the Help! page in RM. Some of the problems were quite saucy. :)

4. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

Music For the Masses got my money back then being the first studio album of theirs I bought on cd - a Nimbus pressed thing that developed "Sticky top syndrome" tm given as late as the year before Black Celebration was on vinyl and that album run with number of things I was interested around such as sexual politics/identity and so on.

I did get Tunnel Of Love originally record but replaced like all of Bruce's catalogue by 1992 on cd and Popped In, Souled Out which I had on chome tape but currently free of anything by Metti Pellow's mates probably cos I was much more smitten with Curiousity Killed The Cat so I got the cd when their second album came out in '89.

5. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I got MFTM straight on CD, but yes it looked a bit cheap. My inlay was even wavy to start with! That always bugged me. I've long since upgraded to the CD/DVD set. The album disappointed me a bit, but I like it more now. The tracks I thought were a bit weak seem less so these days, perhaps knowing what DM would be like in the future.

EG.

6. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

"..horrible guitar playing from Johnny Marr.." never thought I'd ever read that. Far out..

NME are like Smash Hits without the wit and humour

7. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

And the fantastic photography, and nice shiny pages.

Jarleboy and AFOS like this.
  8. Blaahh

Blaahh Forum Resident

The best back to back albums ever for me in Black Celebration and Music For The Masses, though if I have to be honest there are weak tracks on both. If DM ever played album gigs they could take a large amount of money from me. I was so surprised when Never Let Me Down Again fell from its chart entry position, an absolute monster of a single.

ChoonyFish, Jarleboy, AFOS and 3 others like this.
  9. Bobby Morrow

Anybody see last night’s Never Mind The Buzzcocks?

In the famously shaming identity parade section, the panel had to pick out the real Owen Paul!

The guy is everywhere at the moment.

10. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I don't think I ever got over it.

EG.

11. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Was Barbara Dickson on the panel? She would surely have immediately recognised who he was and said "I know him so well".

EG.

Jarleboy, AFOS, tin ears and 4 others like this.
  12. rfkavanagh

rfkavanagh Unashamedly Pop!

This thread is directly responsible for a major resurgence in the careers of Toyah, Barbara Dickson, and Owen Paul. (Well, maybe not Toyah - she’s been at the pinnacle of career success for decades and certainly doesn’t need anyone’s help.) They should be paying commission!

13. Bobby Morrow

No Babs. In fact I hardly recognised anyone on the panel! There was that woman from This Country though.

Jarleboy and Eric_Generic like this.
  14. Jagger69

Jagger69 Forum Resident

I guess that no-one is going to take me serious after my confession :sigh: :oops:

15. Jagger69

Jagger69 Forum Resident

I am not sure if we have discussed Talk Talk in this thread. The first song that I've heard from this band was "It's My Life". I bought the album in 1984 and at that time I thought that this was their debut album. "It's my life" was one of my favorite albums of 1984.

Surly, ChoonyFish, Jarleboy and 8 others like this.
  16. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

I think they have cropped up in the thread here and there and when they did, I probably said that The Colour of Spring remains one of my all time favourite albums and is a record which has a really strong Proustian effect on me.

17. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I played this album last week (it gets an airing every few months), and it sounded better than ever. Maybe I just enjoyed the melancholy mood at the moment.

They weren't pulling up many trees in the UK when this came out, the lead single flopped (#46) and the album didn't even make the Top 30. I don't recall much positive comments in the press or on the radio to the singles either. But I then heard Such A Shame in April 1984 (probably on Radio Luxembourg) and something clicked with me.

That went top 10 on my own charts and the seed was sown. I wouldn't buy the single, or the album. Colour Of Spring was my first Talk Talk (and was a key record in my musical journey), but I rented out It's My Life from the library shortly after and pretty much enjoyed the two albums concurrently. But until last week I'd put It's My Life behind the next two Talk Talk albums. Not any more. It's at least the equal of Spring.

EG.

18. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

I love Talk Talk too. I mentioned them last week I think, but I was quite drunk so it might have been the week before…:righton:

19. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I wonder who will be the beneficiaries of the 90s thread?

(Natalie Merchant's already sold extra copies of her two solo albums...)

EG.

Blaahh, Jarleboy, Jagger69 and 2 others like this.
  20. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

I'm heading off fruit picking ...

21. pwhytey

pwhytey Forum Resident

We were very Scritti Politti focused back in June and July (well, I was, anyway) but they've slipped back into the shadows lately. Time to address that, I think.

Jarleboy, Jagger69, ippudo and 3 others like this.
  22. Talisman954

Talisman954 Forum Resident

Without question the greatest pop song of the 80s

23. pwhytey

pwhytey Forum Resident

I remembered that you loved it @Talisman954 !

24. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

I'd have "Master Blaster" as Stevie's best 80's song but there's not really too much competition.

Jarleboy, Jagger69 and pwhytey like this.
  25. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Construction Time Again through to Violator is one of the greatest runs ever