The U.K. 80s Singles & Albums Chart General Discussion Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Jun 9, 2022.

1. rfkavanagh

rfkavanagh Unashamedly Pop!

Only other one I can think of (although in reality it was probably more the English version, A Little Peace), is Ein Bisschen Frieden by Nicole - Germany's 1982 Eurovision winner. One of the last big Eurovision hits of the classic era! I think she even released it in about five different European languages.

Jagger69, Jarleboy and Eric_Generic like this.
  2. rfkavanagh

rfkavanagh Unashamedly Pop!

Just looked it up, and it seems only the English A Little Peace was released on 45 in the UK and Ireland, but it went to #1 in both countries. I remember the German version being around as well, though. We even learned the English version in school... :D

Jagger69, Jarleboy and Eric_Generic like this.
  3. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Bardo were robbed!

40 years later, I've not forgotten or forgiven... :laugh:

EG.

ChoonyFish, Jagger69, ippudo and 3 others like this.
  4. Talisman954

Talisman954 Forum Resident

Yeah the guy from Bardo was supposed to be in Bucks Fizz first time around.
    If i remember he turned them down, and they got Bobby G.
    I purchased a great Bucks Fizz dvd doc a while ago that went out of print and they talk about him in that.
    Also the manager Nicola was going to be in the Jay Ashton slot, seems they chose the right people in the end.
    Bardo was a deserving winner IMO shame they did not.

5. pwhytey

pwhytey Forum Resident

I remember being very taken with Toyah as an 11 year-old when 'I Want To Be Free' was a hit. She was one of those strong female figures that seemed to pop up from everywhere in the early 80s. @Jarleboy's description of her as "Kate Bush's wilder crazier sister" is spot on, but Toyah was also a bit tougher — she wasn't taking any prisoners. I really loved that about her.

The trouble with Toyah is that ultimately she couldn't back up her incredibly arresting image with consistently great music. I own Anthem but I find it hard to get through the whole thing. Kate, Siouxsie, Annie, Cyndi and Madonna were a big step ahead of her in that respect.

Toyah still has her place, though. 'It's A Mystery', 'I Want To be Free' and 'Thunder In The Mountains' are a fantastic trio of singles. And nobody else looked quite as fabulous as this in October 1981.

[​IMG]

6. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Not yet. :righton: A very interesting couple, I would think, so why not?

Jagger69 and Northernlight like this.
  7. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Now to close out 1988 with the 4th quarter set of #1's from the Network Top 50 as compiled by MRIB and printed in the pages of both NME and Melody Maker. In this new order, bold is any #1 of theirs that aren't "officially" so, so . . .

MRIB Network #1's

8 Oct: "Desire" by U2
    22 Oct: "One Moment In Time" by Whitney Houston
    29 Oct: "We Call It Acieed" by D Mob Featuring Gary Haisman (G #3)
    5 Nov: "Orinoco Flow (Sail Away)" by Enya
    19 Nov: "The First Time" by Robin Beck
    10 Dec: "Mistletoe And Wine" by Cliff Richard

All five of the "Official" #1's accumulated between October and December also topped MRIB, with nothing missing and, as you can see, one "extra" that did not get close to #1 on the "Official" charts.

Jagger69 and Eric_Generic like this.
  8. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

There was quite a backlash/outcry against We Call It Acieed by the BBC.

Wonder if that impacted on its Gallup performance.

EG.

Jarleboy likes this.
  9. pwhytey

pwhytey Forum Resident

Speaking of Siouxsie, it must've been quite something seeing this performance on TOTP in 1981. 'Spellbound' is one of the Banshees' best singles IMO (although it only reached #22). Siouxsie is amazing here.

10. piston broke

piston broke Forum Resident

11. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

12. piston broke

Rock Me Amadeus springs to mind, Mein Papa and Wooden Heart at a push. There's definitely been more French and Spanish hits than German.

Jarleboy, Jagger69 and Eric_Generic like this.
  13. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Can't believe I didn't immediately think of Rock Me Amadeus....I bought the bliddy album too!

EG.

Jarleboy and Jagger69 like this.
  14. piston broke

Tell me you've got the Aled Jones one. :D I'm intrigued now, what ones are missing?

Jarleboy, Jagger69 and Eric_Generic like this.
  15. pwhytey

pwhytey Forum Resident

Ahhhh, look at that 12" single section! I've died and gone to vinyl heaven.

Were all HMV stores in the UK quite similar? I think I remember the one on Oxford Street in London having a staircase like that.

16. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

The 2 Aled Jones ones ;), plus the comps which never made it to CD (Out Now, Hits 2 and Now Dance 85). I'd actually buy them if they ever did come out on CD, which is very unlikely of course.

I think there's a gap in the display, something sold out...or is it just very dark? (none more black? :D).

EG.

17. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Oh I'm also missing Marc Bolan/T.Rex...

EG.

18. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

The original Oxford St store had a huge spiral staircase. That one at Union St. gives me the heebie geebies!

Thankfully in late 1986, HMV opened a 2nd store at Oxford Circus which was more spacious and had lifts and escalators.

EG.

19. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Propaganda Duel made the top 20 here in Ireland and the UK. The English version though.

Jagger69, ippudo and Twist-Of-Shadows like this.
  20. Twist-Of-Shadows

Twist-Of-Shadows Forum Resident

The only German thing they sang - or rather said - on A Secret Wish, as far as I call recall, is "kein zuruck fur dich" on Dr. Mabuse (1984).....

sparkmeister and ippudo like this.
  21. Twist-Of-Shadows

Twist-Of-Shadows Forum Resident

....another superb German band they never got even close to the UK charts......

22. pwhytey

pwhytey Forum Resident

I've always loved the English version of this song — 'Major Tom (Coming Home)' — which was, as you point out, a Top 20 hit in the US (and a #1 in Canada). I'm not sure where/how I heard it during the 80s because it was only a very minor hit in Australia, but I remembered it instantly when I watched Deutschland '83 and heard it used over the opening titles. It was a brilliant choice as it's one of those songs that just screams 1983.

It's another 80s single that I'm shocked wasn't a massive hit in the UK — not only because it's great, but because it's a continuation of Bowie's Major Tom story.

23. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

This is more like it.
    Rather this than the Katie Price of pop whose made an unexpected appearance.

Jagger69 likes this.
  24. ryno

ryno Forum Resident

I always thought that Toyah marketed herself as a sort of "family friendly" Siouxsie Sioux with a bit of New Romantic thrown in to appeal to the kids.

25. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Never mind what she wanted, she came across very much as a Kwik-Save Siouxsie.
    And my god that 'voice', I've heard dogs howling more in tune.

ChoonyFish and Jarleboy like this.