„The Ultimate Collection“ by Roy Orbison!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sgt. Abbey Road, Oct 24, 2021.

1. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am starting this thread because I bought that CD yesterday for 6€. I didn’t expect that much because it seemed to be one of these budget compilations. When I looked on the back cover I saw that it was mastered by Vic Anesini and was very surprised! I listened to it and think that it’s not only the best Roy Orbison CD in my collection, it’s also one of the best sounding CDs I bought in the last years! Now I want to hear your opinion about „The Ultimate Collection“ by Roy Orbison:)
    [​IMG]

Quickdraw, fortherecord and FJFP like this.
  2. Sgt. Abbey Road

3. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

" Feel so bad, got a worried mind /I'm so lonesome all of the time / Since I left my baby behind on Blue Bayou"

Any Orbison collection is fine by me!

Lonevej and Sgt. Abbey Road like this.
  4. Sgt. Abbey Road

That’s such a fantastic song! Its sound on the compilation I bought is unbelievably great:)

5. Marshall66hendrix

Marshall66hendrix Senior Member.

I love the dcc version of Roy,s greatest hits otherwise I would be hunting a copy of vic,s mastered cd. :thumbsup:

6. Quickdraw

Quickdraw Forum Resident

Bought a sealed copy of Golden Days (The Collection Of 20 All-Time Greats) from '81 recently on Monument Records and was shocked at how great it sounded. This one was a UK release mastered by Tim Young and I think it was also released in Europe, but I don't think it was ever released in the States. I had a greatest hits CD awhile ago and was disappointed how compressed it sounded as well as a Sun Records reissue of his early hits, but this release blows them away. When you hear a great recording of one of his hits, you quickly realize what a massive talent he was and how his legacy as the master of the ballad really hasn't been touched since.

Sgt. Abbey Road and Swann36 like this.
  7. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

Just ordered this album from Discogs decent price in NM so fingers crossed it sounds as good as you say … and now I’ve discovered that our host mastered a version of All time Greatest Hits album if I’m reading correctly

Quickdraw likes this.
  8. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

I have this set on vinyl but haven't played it yet. (I'm way behind) The cover says that it was mastered by Vic Anesini but does he do vinyl or just CD mastering? His bio info doesn't specify. In the dead wax, there are two sets of numbers and in another area, there is very faint etching of what appears to say "Powell". ????

9. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

I’d say let your ears on your set up in your room decide for you , I read that Fremer gave it 11 for music and 7 for sonically it seemed to imply there and elsewhere that the mastering has rather let this album down sadly and Discogs shows mastered by Vic on both the cd and Vinyl which might explain the lower sonic score on the vinyl if it’s just the digital cut put on vinyl

10. DrewBdewBdew

DrewBdewBdew Well-Known Member

I have the greatest hits album by our host on cd and let me tell you it has gone from a mint copy to a vg from playback so many times. I love that album.

Swann36 likes this.
  11. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident