The Ultrasonic vinyl cleaner owners thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Josquin des Prez, Mar 4, 2019.

1. ayrehead

ayrehead Bipedal Forum Resident

The world is round. However, the moon is a spaceship flown here by aliens to watch us.

latheofheaven likes this.
  2. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

Me too. So I got my own still. Works great. You can double or triple distill your water but I do not bother. After a single pass, the water has TDS=0.
    Stainless Steel Water Distiller | Water Distiller Home

3. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

What do you guys think of the Clearaudio that retails at $6K?

4. Dmac43

Dmac43 Forum Resident

Got the new adjustable PSU today for my EBAY US cleaner, love it, I can adjust the speed of the record turning that I couldn't do before... Gonna give it a shot using the records that I've already cleaned to see if it makes a difference.

latheofheaven and eflatminor like this.
  5. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

That's a lot of coin for a suction type machine. They look very cool, but I wonder if they'd really outperform a top of the line VPI or similar. Point is, you may wait some time for someone that actually owns one.

MonkeyMan likes this.
  6. Christopher Bare

Christopher Bare Well-Known Member

What pump are you using to push water through the Pentax filter? I’ve read all the forums but want self priming, enough pressure to work but not overkill.

7. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

8. Spence

Spence New Member

Don’t worry - I’m with you. I’m now convinced, after much trial and error, that USC is “dulling” the detail on my new records. I’m not US cleaning new records anymore- only dirty second hand ones. USC has its place, but people need to be aware of the downside

Andy Saunders likes this.
  9. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken! Thread Starter

I'm convinced it doesn't. I hear no loss or dulling on any record I've played, cleaned and played again, new or otherwise. I think some of the earlier cries for wolf were retracted in that regard.

10. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Newb Ultrasonic RCM owner chiming in..... the ultrasonic cleaning method wins hand down over my resident VPI 16.5 ( which does sterling service on vacuuming duties.

NB; The US cleaning method is a faff compared to the vacuum method, however the results are beyond compare.

latheofheaven and Dayfold like this.
  11. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

I had to look up "faff" since it isn't used as slang in the US (as far as I can recall).

I agree. The results from ultrasonic cleaning are far superior to other methods.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  12. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

New to ultrasonic cleaning, but I have cleaned over 100 albums by now. Previously used a Record Doctor, then upgraded to a VPI 16.5.
    I use the ultrasonic as a first step, then finish off on the 16.5

I have noticed no degradation or dulling of the sound on albums previously cleaned on the VPI.

dminches likes this.
  13. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

What does faff mean?

latheofheaven likes this.
  14. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

PITA

15. Mugrug12

That’s odd,
    For me ultra sonic is way less a faff than using a vacumm machine. I just put it in the tank and turn on the spindle motor, then drain the tank when the records are done! I don’t even stay in the same room, I go do other stuff while it cleans. And my spindle can fit more than one record at a time. Seems easy to me!!

16. Mugrug12

Thanks for the translation by the way!

17. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

Hi Andy, just wondered what machine you are using and what is it that you find faffy about it?

I'm interested because I'm seriously considering replacing my Loricraft RCM, which I do find a bit of a chore to use, with a US machine, probably a Degritter, which looks very straightforward and simple to use and gets good results according to users in this thread: Degritter Users

Cheers

18. Josquin des Prez

That seems an odd assessment to me. I have both an Okki Nokki vacuum based RCM and an Audio Desk US cleaner. The former is fussy, labor intensive and time consuming (i.e. a faff), while the latter is drop dead easy, quick and painless.

Do you have a Kirmuss? That is quite involved, if I understand correctly, but meant more as a system for restoration rather than routine cleaning. I could understand that process being called a faff.

19. Andy Saunders

Velvet Vortex. ( A UK Brand.)

To be fair as l am getting used to the machine l am finding it is easier to use and l would not be without one now so good are the results.

Dayfold likes this.
  20. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

I have been looking into the Velvet Vortex of late. It looks a relative bargain in comparison to other cleaners and I am assuming it would be a big upgrade over my twin bath Knosti system! Are there any drawbacks with the system at all or should I just pull the trigger? I was looking at options from Project, Okki Nokki and Keith Monks but this seems to be the better option from what I can see. Only thing is I don't have a vacuum clean option so I will have to let the records air dry with the VV.

21. Andy Saunders

@xfilian l too am in Essex and also had the Knosti cleaning- quite simply there is no comparison, with this Covid-19 thing going on l am going through my record collection and some deemed unplayable but have kept for sentimental reasons have sprung back to life using the VV, cannot speak highly enough of the results.

If you have a large record collection and expensive stylus then l would say it is a great investment.

The only downsides are it is a tad time consuming and you do use more solution than a wet vacuum solution, that said the results far outweigh any downsides.

Good luck.:righton:

xfilian likes this.
  22. Andy Saunders

@xfilian You are more than welcome to come over and have a few records cleaned- when this Covid-19 business gone away.:tiphat:

xfilian likes this.
  23. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

That's a very kind offer Andy and much appreciated. I am still able to work although it has gone quiet of late and so if things carry on in the same vein I may be spending more time at home and with so much spare time I may cave in and order a VV. However, if that is not the case I will take you up on your generous offer. :edthumbs:

24. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

I'm going to give this a try:

Ultrasonic Vinyl Record Cleaner Adjustable Power Record Cleaning Machine Kits | Wish

I ordered the "Upgraded Version" for $83.93. It came out to $124.61 with tax and shipping.

Fingers crossed it actually includes the basin. :) It does say it's discounted from $1353 USD, so...

I figure it's worth the risk. I plan to use my Spin Clean fluid with it. Going to measure the amount of water I need to fill it and add the appropriate number of "caps". I'll then use the Spin Clean to clean rinse and dry with the Spin Clean drying cloths.

latheofheaven and sunvalleylaw like this.
  25. Josquin des Prez

I have a feeling all you're getting is that motor assembly. The product page is rather hinky IMO.