The Umbrella Academy - Netflix Original

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Solaris, Feb 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

I had no problems with it at all. Found it entertaining. It moved at a reasonable pace with plenty of expansion for most of the characters across the ten slots. Definitely scope for a few more series. The smackhead was annoying though. Could have done without his bleatings. Minor quibble.

2. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

He's definitely more palatable when he's clean - much more powerful as well!

Andy Smith likes this.
  3. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

My mileage somewhat varies. I was sceptical going into this series and found it smug & overconfident. Yes, the production values are high, but the idea of burned-out superheroes uncovering the secrets of their past is familiar and the flash of the set pieces didn't entirely land. Also, I'm a bit sick of seeing Robert Sheehan playing that character from Misfits, and I wasn't as much in love with hit-persons Heather & Cha-Cha as the programme makers obviously were. But the cliffhangers landed and I was happy enough to carry on watching, with no real hopes of the series working out (because the “twist” was telegraphed about six episodes out).

But by the end I loved this series, because I completely bought into the character arc.
    While it was no surprise that Seven was the cause of the apocalypse, it was not clear what would get her there, and once you saw what got her there you couldn't help feeling that she had a point. I don't see how anyone can complain about Ellen Page being underused ... surely they used her exactly how they had to in order to make the denouement work.
    The emotional punch of the climax was far better than it had any right to be.

What do reviewers know? If you like superhero shows, this turned out to be one of the best.

badfinger54, Vidiot and Michael Rose like this.
  4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

They know what they've seen and are able to articulate which elements they liked, which they didn't and explain why they felt so.

I don't much care for the genre at all, which is why I'll only watch if the reviews are way above what passes for the usual genre fare (one example was Daredevil S1 which had rave reviews and after seeing it, I was in agreement. Wonder Woman had great reviews too, but while I liked her as a character, the third act completely spoiled it with the silly superhero big fight ending).

woody, Solaris and Vidiot like this.
  5. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Like most everyone else then?

I was being somewhat ironic criticizing reviewers after Bohemian Rhapsody (Metacritic 49) and Green Book (Metacritic 69) saw off far more critically lauded movies at the Oscars. Clearly even Oscar voters regard reviews as a dispensable indication of a film’s quality. FWIW The Umbrella Academy’s Metacritic score is an anaemic 62 but its user score is 7.2 and the more indicative IMDB score is 8.3 (peaking at 9 for the final episode) off 33 thousand scores. All that really means is that the people who liked it really liked it, but that's not nothing.

That said, if you don't like superhero shows (despite the fact that this is one of the best I've seen) I can see why you'd pass.

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Eh, but it's 74% on Rotten Tomatoes, which isn't bad at all. I think it's a dynamite show, but that's me. My tastes don't always gibe with the general public, but I like to think I can make a good guess as to a series that has some mass-market appeal. It's already been renewed by Netflix for a second season, which is a sign of good faith.

7. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Well my bathtub wasn't in it (they used a different location for the bathroom) but my couch, new drapes they put in, kitchen (it was cool seeing Ellen Page using the taps I installed in the sink), the dining room table (a replica was built so it could be destroyed in a scene - this happened to the front door also), the gas fireplace and oh yes, my stereo.
    My house was Leonard Peabody's house in the show. It was cool to see characters coming up to the house and going in. A house up the street was used to but just the veranda.
    I watched all 10 episodes now and thought it really picked up in the last 3.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    Vidiot, Smokin Chains and jriems like this.
  8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Here's a 1-minute behind-the-scenes video showing how they created "Pogo," the chimp/butler in the show -- who I thought was possibly the most sensitive, moral, and "human" character in the entire story.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  9. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Renewed. But of course it would be, it was excellent.

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

11. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Yeah, after being criticized having worst business model on msnbc ..
    I trust what they say..

12. I thought it was OK. It borrowed significantly from The X-Men Phoenix saga with a little bit of Doom Patrol thrown in for good measure. Hardly original and fairly predictable. Nice production values though.

13. Andy Smith

OK, after watching the opening credits to the new series of The Umbrella Academy, I now want Maxine Nightingale’s ‘Right Back To Where I Started From’ for the iPod :)

14. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Just finished binging through both seasons. This show is fantastic, now one of my FOAT! It has everything a sci-fi/superhero ensemble franchise should have. And so well produced.

It seems to be set up for a third season, for which I am SO glad.

badfinger54 likes this.
  15. Andy Smith

I recommended it to a buddy, thinking she'd get it, especially the music. She lasted minutes. "I turned it off as soon as I saw the talking monkey".
    N'er mind. Can't please everybody. I'm thinking she'll probably not get 'Lucifer' either, so I'm saying nothing again :).

jpelg likes this.
  16. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

This show is awful - and I watched it all (well to S2 Ep 8 so far)

There's a character they know that can travel through time.

He arrives and warns of an impending apocalypse.

Every other characters says "I need to go do my own thing somewhere spatially different and reflect on my bad childhood."

They do this over and over.

Then the world DOES end, they jump back in time - but they get separated.

Then:
    There's a character they know that can travel through time.

He arrives and warns of an impending apocalypse.

Every other characters says "I need to go do my own thing somewhere spatially different and reflect on my bad childhood."

They do this over and over.

The ONLY time it made a little sense is the opening of season 2 when they are simply X-Men for about 45 seconds.

I'll finish it today.

I thought the music was AWFUL - for every time they nailed it there is a time they did NOT nail it - and actually it ruined the scene. The Istanbul not Constantinople was plain BAD (IMHO.)

REAL BAD. Butthole Surfers in the 1960s? Confused emoji.

I don't feel like the music they chose is connected to the time period they are in. Some of the songs are great - just not great in where they placed them.

17. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Great series. Like all shows dealing with time travel there are some plot holes but once you get into the show and get to know the characters you understand why they make the choices they do.

Cant wait for Season 3 and the unveiling of the Sparrow Academy!

badfinger54 and Old Mac like this.
  18. Andy Smith

Anyone seen anything about how filming is progressing for the 3rd series?

19. Andy Smith

That 'Footloose' scene is going to take some beating. I watched it 4 times! :)

20. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Watched Seasons 1 and 2 recently.

Season 1 was not very well done at all - the first half in particular was excruciating. Also, most of the music was poorly done and often used in a cliched manner. But I persevered. Season 2, on the other hand, was much, much better, all the way down to the use of the music (and the songs themselves). The problem is, you would have to sit through season 1 in order to have a full understanding/appreciation of season 2.

Anyway, season 3 next!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.