The Velvet Underground: Newly Discovered Colour Footage from 1969

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bleachershane, Jul 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Can't see them having been appropriate for the Woodstock scene at all. They played a few open air gigs during their lifespan even going back to the early days.

2. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Do you know the date when Kerry was born? I tried Googling it, but I keep coming up with the same vague quotes about Moe leaving the band in “early 1970”. She’s certainly not heavily pregnant in this footage, but it’s possible to function perfectly normally, even as a drummer, during the early months.

3. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Any guess for the songs done in the silent footage. Maybe it came be matched up with a live tape from that month.

Didn't know Moe would lay the bass drum flat.

Is Dallas in October cold? Sweater might be from a crew member.

4. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Agreed. And she still sounds great on those Jan 1970 tapes. My guess is that Kerry was born between April-August 1970 (she had had her when talking to Lou after his final gig wth the band). I'm basing that on an article online from Jan 1994 which says she was 23 at the time.

stepeanut likes this.
  5. stepeanut

If it were April then Moe would have been approximately three months gone in October. August would be too late.

6. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

What an amazing find but makes me a little sad to see one of the greatest bands of all time playing on someone's back porch to a small ambivalent audience after having already putting out three masterpiece albums.

7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Definitely a better nightclub band.

8. alexpop

Poster ?

Three Lou’s on the bill. :)

Greenalishi and Fullbug like this.
  9. alexpop

October footage assuming three months pregnant means baby born May 1970.

10. alexpop

Toy town musician ship from the VU, realise that was their charm. Loaded is a complete revelation in comparison.

Man at C&A likes this.
  11. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It's strange to see. I always imagined the VU would have had a decent amount of passionate fans by that point. Considering how revered they are now it's astonishing to see how small they were. By the time of this film any publicity from the Andy Warhol connection was gone, John Cale had gone and I guess they were getting very little publicity by then. Things seem to have moved very fast in the 60s. It's great footage though, amazing picture quality, but like all of us here, I'd love there to be more.

Doggiedogma and bleachershane like this.
  12. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It's hard to really tell what they were like musically on that day as the clips are short and the sound isn't very good, but going by the 1969 Live album from that time, they certainly weren't toy town. I agree about Loaded coming not long later. It musically sounds almost like a different band.

mr.datsun likes this.
  13. stepeanut

Your math is wrong, Alex, me old chum. If the baby was conceived in July, making the mother pregnant for three months in October, then nine months gestation would mean one could expect birth to happen in April. Unless she was late, of course.

mr.datsun likes this.
  14. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Basically we have no idea whether she was pregnant or not in the footage. Looking at the dates, it's quite likely she was not pregnant in oct '69. Or not pregnant enough to matter. Why is this subject is so fascinating?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  15. alexpop

Regardless..looks preggars to me.

16. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

What nightclub? The only nightclub I can think of is Max's. And I don't think we can take Max's as being representative of their sound. They also played concert halls and venues and they were loud.

17. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Moe would laugh if she knew she has about 300 obstetricians right now.

18. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

One thing I am positive about is the VU could of really used the Internet. Any band that put out VU & Nico, White Light/White Heat, and the 3rd album in 2019 and not 1969 wouldn't be playing on a back porch they would be headlining Coachella.

Doggiedogma and alexpop like this.
  19. alexpop

Producer Geoff Haslam should have got more credit for this masterpiece.

Flippikat and Man at C&A like this.
  20. alexpop

Think that’s why the ensuing years least till about 1977, the VU were a forgotten band.

ndoheny likes this.
  21. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Why ? They had a whole host of people producing that album.

22. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

The fact we now have a contemporary candid filmed colour interview with a VU member (and not Lou either!) is perhaps the most amazing thing about this footage.

23. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Lou’s solo career had revived interest in the Velvets by 1972, certainly after Walk on the Wild Side. Live 1969 was released in 1974 and garnered a lot of media interest, if not sales. Rock ‘n’ Roll Animal promoted the back catalogue. Mott’s version of Sweet Jane too. Several comps came out as well. In the States at least, it didn’t take until 1977 for them to be remembered.

24. alexpop

Punk helped bring them to the forefront.
    Nobody I knew in the seventies had heard of the band, didn’t get played on the radio either.

Fullbug likes this.
  25. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The first three LPs were all reissued in the UK in 1971 on MGM. These are much easier to find than originals and are the ones I have. This is when White Light / White Heat got the white 'toy soldiers' sleeve.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    mr.datsun, alexpop and ajsmith like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.