The Velvet Underground: Newly Discovered Colour Footage from 1969

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bleachershane, Jul 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Well, they never did in the 60s so why would the 70s, after Lou had left, be any different? Having said that, they probably sold more in the 70s with Bowie and Roxy Music and Eno and Can and various other hip artists/bands singing their praises.

mr.datsun, Man at C&A and ad180 like this.
  2. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

No way. There was a big resurgence in interest in the early 70s, once Lou started recording solo albums and "Live 1969" came out.

mr.datsun and belushipower like this.
  3. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

Thanks for posting this incredible footage!

Fullbug likes this.
  4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Sure I snapped up both live albums. No real music press coverage till the punk scene happened.

5. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Hell yea.

alexpop likes this.
  6. alexpop

Yeah the 3 minute SJ. Not the cocktail hour
    “ wine and roses “ version.

I was always drawn to Loaded closing songs on both sides New Age and Oh Sweet Nuthin

7. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Yea I procured that a couple of years ago and was knocked out. A new version (to me at the time) of a classic.

8. alexpop

Would it be safe to say the VU two biggest selling albums were VU and Another View in the UK in the eighties. The VU very much in vogue I recall,hip!!!

9. alexpop

Lou his biggest gripe ( regardless of him not being on the back cover of Loaded :)) was the edited version of SJ. Longer version over four minutes with included bridge. Sure in Max’s K City over clinking glasses it was probably effective. But the shorter version ..just kicks az very radio friendly. What was the singles highest chart placing ?

Jack Lord likes this.
  10. Agerst1574

Agerst1574 Forum Resident

The thing I take most from this new video is how fascinating it was to watch Moe. She is the engine of this band and her drumming style is completely unique.

11. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

according to wiki released as the b-side to who loves the sun in 1970, then as the a-side with rock n' roll in 1973….that one got to 96 on the French charts...none for stateside/uk

alexpop likes this.
  12. the pope ondine

this is new footage….should be easy but ive watched it a few times and cant get it

bleachershane likes this.
  13. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'd already said this, but watching her drumming technique during this footage was fascinating.

14. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Nobody cared about VU in 1969. They were antithetical to the prevailing ethos.

alexpop likes this.
  15. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Finally getting around to watching this and wow. Super cool! I'd love to hear more audio from this event if anyone knows where to find it.

16. alexpop

No Santana for sure.
    VU ? They had got all the razamtaz early with Warhol/Nico in 1966 they were the selling point. Must have been anticlimactic for them playing these Forest Gump hic towns.

17. alexpop

Just occurred to me some folk posting making comments were probably born in the 1970s easy to fast check stuff on wiki ( but it’s not always accurate).

18. alexpop

Jane /r&r got played on NYC stations but still failed to ignite.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  19. alexpop

Just a snare drum.

20. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

Ah, sorry about that.

Still, I think it's possibly "Waiting for the Man" again? Around 7:10, looking at Doug, maybe "first thing you learn is that you've always gotta wait...i'm waiting for my man"?

21. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Moe’s drumming was the thing that impressed me most when I saw the Velvets play live in 1993. Hearing her on record is one thing, but you really need to see and hear her in person to appreciate what she brought to the band.

bleachershane, DTK and Fullbug like this.
  22. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

It was Lou's idea to get rid of Warhol and Nico, by the way, and, I'm not sure if there's anyone on this forum from Dallas, but I don't think they'd appreciate it being called a Forrest Gump hick town!

Russ Lee and mr.datsun like this.
  23. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

VU actually made top fifty in the UK.

Another view didn't, but it didn't really get a solid release as such, it was an extra in a box, then got a stand alone release.

alexpop likes this.
  24. the pope ondine

you might be right.....im not seeing it yet....how did this sit in a drawer somewhere for 50 years?? amazing

BadJack likes this.
  25. alexpop

Terrible album covers.
    But what beautiful content.

Man at C&A likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.