The Velvet Underground: Newly Discovered Colour Footage from 1969

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bleachershane, Jul 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I was a teenager back then. VU were pretty marginal, and definitely not peace and love. They would not have fit at Woodstock.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    mr.datsun, DTK and alexpop like this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

In the Doug Yule YouTube interview ( about 1hr) he mentions Jimi Hendrix being ecstatic about VU’s Whiskey A Go Go performance in 1969, saying “you guys can really rock “ JH seemed genuinely impressed by them.

3. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

The interview footage of Sterling Morrison suggests they weren't quite as anti peace 'n' love as their image suggests. Also in interviews with Lou from ca. 1969 he sounds, dare I say it, kinda hippyish?

4. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

well obviously not peace and love...and Heroin would've led to some very bad vibes. but they had enough Woodstock friendly music to play well to the crowd (if they wanted to lol) . it would've been an odd pairing but...great music is great music. Blood Sweat and Tears and Shanana went over ok

[​IMG]

5. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

"I know, let's all wear the same shoes!"

6. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Dressed up by a stylist for the promo shot.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  7. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

I always thought a deep love shone through their work. Some kinda love anyway.

8. Agerst1574

Agerst1574 Forum Resident

I have seen well over 1000 shows in over 40 years of concert going and saw Lou about 30 times live. My biggest regret is not flying over to Europe to see the VU reunion in 1993. My son was born that year and everyone assumed there would be US shows particularly in NYC. But it never happened. Such a shame that the egos got in the way, and it would have helped Sterling and Mo financially.

Chris Bernhardt likes this.
  9. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Yes it is a shame the reunion tour did not continue. I am lucky and live in the UK so saw the 2 Edinburgh and 2 London shows. One friend I know from the USA came over for them. Too young and wrong continent to see any VU shows in the 60s or 70s! I have that box set of stuff done live by Doug Yule as the VU without any Lou. I think Mo is on a couple of the discs. How long did Yule carry on touring in the UK/Europe as the VU?

10. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Lou ruined the reunion gigs by being unable or unwilling to sing the songs in tune, in tempo and without inserting the words "Ooh baby" after every second line.

11. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Heheh. He really camped up the whole thing with the gruff 'ooh baby' add-ons. Lou had developed his own patented 'grunt and bear-it' workman-like way of destroying songs by that time. And then there was that huge manly stack of effects behind him. Atrocious.

12. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Any fan who has studied his live oeuvre knows that Lou extemporized lyrics way back from the 70s onwards, like a jazz/soul singer. He always did it. No change for the VU reunion.

13. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Why don't you just stick to the 60s records then? You must loathe Dylan concerts.

mr.datsun likes this.
  14. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Yes. I stick to 60s for 60s acts, 70s for 70s acts, etc... Unless an act actually reinvents their act in an interesting way - but that usually requires new material, something that was actually hinted at with the VU in '92 when they got back together.

Dylan in concert? I'm not too interested but I did listen to one from '65 recently.

15. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

I thought I didn't like the live stuff from the 1990s reunion but a few years ago gave a boot show on Youtube a listen and three to four boots later . . . I was surprised how much I enjoyed their playing and even Lou's singing, go figure.

DTK likes this.
  16. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

They're playing an anti-war rally here, so they would by logic be in favor of peace.

Cokelike- likes this.
  17. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I like the reunion gigs. As I opined, the reaction to Lou's singing style has more to do with the listeners being unfamiliar with his, well, singing style, outside of the VU and early solo records, a jazzier approach. The things I enjoy most are Moe's powerhouse drumming and the guitar playing. Lou said he mainly did the reunion tour so that Moe would get some recognition, and as she's well recorded on the reunion tapes you can really appreciate how essential she was to the band. I don't really enjoy Cale's keyboards and singing on the reunion gigs, though zi am a fan of his solo work.

Boswell likes this.
  18. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Nice to see a socially conscious, progressive dimension to the VU. Proves they weren't all nihilism and hippie-baiting!

19. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Why would I want to go to a Bob Dylan concert?

20. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Yes, he could pull it off in the 70s, even though some of his live vocals were terrible then too, his range was diminished by the 1990s and if you think saying "Ooh baby" every now and again counts as extemporizing lyrics then you've set the bar pretty low.

21. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

No Lou Reed is "setting the bar low". But I'm a fan ;).

22. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Beats me.

23. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

I'm a fan but a discerning one, when he's bad, he's bad.

24. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Quite fascinating glimpses of the past.

bleachershane likes this.
  25. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Even when he's bad he's way ahead of most rock music.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.