The Velvet Underground - White Light/White Heat (Favorite Track Poll & General Discussion Thread)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gpg6212, Dec 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. typicalrecords

typicalrecords New Member

Yes, finally! Someone mention's this track. It's my favorite as well. I love how they pan the vocals all over the place (in the stereo version--I've never heard the mono version so I don't know if this song sounds as cool on it).

2. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

No. 4 Here She Comes Now (sounds like the title of an MBV song)

I know who MBV are not clear what they have to do with the VU, coming decades later, and I always wonder why it's been added to the title of that song.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  3. drasil

drasil Former Resident

it's mentioned three times on the first page alone--including the vocal mix, specifically.

still a killer cut. pun intended.

I agree that the title 'here she comes now' is pretty Shields-esque. what would be the reverse?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  4. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I edited my post. But I said 'inverse'. It means it's more true to say that the MVB song titles sound like a VU title as the VU came first chronologically. But really just not sure why it had been made such a prominent feature of the tracks listings. :)

5. Ànd now the humour is deader than the sailor. :)

gpg6212 likes this.
  6. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

My fave VU LP though I usually skip The Gift.

7. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

1. Sister Ray
    2. Lady Godiva
    3. Hear Her
    5. Here She Comes Now / The Gift
    6. WL/WH

8. typicalrecords

typicalrecords New Member

You're right in that a couple people mention that song being their favorite. I somehow overlooked that; I only noticed the one person who gave it a backhanded compliment. But I don't see anyone mention anything about the vocal mix on the song. Point me to that post and I will gladly throw my hands up in surrender and admit my mistake (it won't be the first time).

9. gpg6212

gpg6212 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I just wanted to comment it cuz I thought it was funny/interesting. It sounds like an MBV title to me.

drasil likes this.
  10. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Ok - maybe they/he was a fan. In all likelihood, probably was.

11. drasil

drasil Former Resident

he has confirmed this in interviews many times.

not that it's not extremely apparent just in looking at them.

12. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

It doesn't surprise me, but i get no strong connection between the two bands that makes me want to listen to mbv.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  13. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Even the VU came to regret the recording approach they took as it diminishes the impact. Probably should have been recorded live.

I Heard Her Call My Name was my pick FWIW.

14. kevinsponge

kevinsponge Senior Member

It's really a toss-up between I heard her call my name and White light/White heat.

Yet another fan of the end section of the title track. To me, it's the sound of somebody's eyes rolling back in their head.

15. greenoort

greenoort Forum Resident

This album absolutely destroyed me when I first heard it. One of the loudest, filthiest, and most revoultionary things i'd ever heard. Its bonkers this was released when it did, I can say the same about their debut. 'Sister Ray' and 'I Heard Her Call My Name' will make you soil yourself.

JL7, rnranimal and strummer101 like this.
  16. Reever

Reever Forum Resident

"Sister Ray"....if only for that ecstatic moment when the whole degenerate works collapses on itself....then....somehow...impossibly...resurrects. One of the great moments in all of rock for me.

But the entire record is sublime. Listening to it now.

17. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Hey, just listened to The Gift on the live gymnasium recording. Why is it my fave Version ever?...no vocals/lyrics!

18. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

One of their best songs at the time was perversely not even recorded for the album - I Guess I'm Falling in Love.

It's hard to imagine where on the album it would've fitted - maybe in place of 'The Gift' with one or two of the demo-ed songs from early 1967?

19. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

One of my favourite albums. Wore out my vinyl copy. I have a great memory of listening to "Sister Ray" loud with a friend, after having smoked some Afghan from a frost bong. The music made it so much more powerful! We both hallucinated, and my friend freaked out at one point, and had to stop the track. :p

I can't bring myself to pick one favourite song, but my three favourite moments on the album are:

1: "And then my mind split open..." -> ( ( ( FEEEEEEEED ) ) )
    2: The last 30 seconds of the title track - especially John's bass
    3: About 13 minutes into "Sister Ray" with Lou going siiiiiiiiidahwaaaaaaays, and the whole band steadily disintegrating for a few minutes before reaching yet another climax

marmalade166, richard a and crozcat like this.
  20. Dr Faustus

Dr Faustus A younger man now getting old

So hard to pick - one of those albums where each song flows into the next perfectly. I picked White Light/White Heat because it's the first track. You know you're in for a ride when that comes on. I might have to spin this tonight...

21. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I like the 3 shorter tracks and really don't care for the 3 longer ones.
    Heard Her Call however has possibly one of the greatest solos of all time:)

22. Tsomi

Tsomi Forum Resident

I voted White Light / White Heat, because I still can't describe its sound.

Can't stand I Heard Her Call My Name, though...

23. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Aw, man, it's brilliantly funny. The relentless length being part of that.

(Someone ~ um, Lou in the deluxe edition liner notes ~ first had to point me to the situation of one thing going on over here, while a completely different thing is going on over there, before I could appreciate it.)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  24. brianvargo

brianvargo Senior Member

I went with "Sister Ray." Oh, do I love sweet "Sister Ray."

I'm pretty sure I've heard every version committed to tape that has circulated, and while I love 'em all, the studio version remains my favorite. It's the epitome of rock and roll in all its tattered glory.

anth67 likes this.
  25. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

I bought an old CD copy today for 2€ to compare with the mid 90s remaster...I've never heard an old German CD version of that album - and sound is quite an issue on this album, whether you love it or hate it! Will spin it tonight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.