The Verve - Urban Hymns (2017 Box Set)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by raimiz1991inc, Jun 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. faz09

faz09 Forum Resident

Thanks for this!! $93.34 shipped from amazon.fr (tip: add it to your cart and press checkout to see the lower price)

Javier Santivanez likes this.
  2. ScienceFriction

ScienceFriction Forum Resident

Unless the prices have changed, it's still cheaper to get the vinyl set from Amazon UK than France. Roughly $81 shipped for me from the UK, standard speed. I'm not sure I'll keep my preorder, but I have time to think about it. A bit soured on what was vetoed, and questioning how good this will sound compared to the original when IIRC the recent reissues weren't as good? I do love the extras they did include however, and it is cool.

Javier Santivanez likes this.
  3. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

Anyone recall this awesome promotional item from 1997. The store I worked at got one. I didn't hang on to my copy though.. here's an image from eBay.

[​IMG]

ZEP77 and mark renard like this.
  4. followmehome

followmehome Forum Resident

[​IMG]

No it isn't - don't talk nonsense. If you think that is even mastered loud, let alone brickwalled you don't know what your talking about.
    [​IMG]

5. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Link? All I'm able to find on amazon.uk is a listing for the CD version.

6. ScienceFriction

ScienceFriction Forum Resident

walrus likes this.
  7. walrus

It's not as bad as other albums that came out of the UK around that time, but it's still not exactly a warm, ear-friendly listen, especially since it's over an hour long. It could've been worse, but it also could've been so much better, considering how dynamic the actual music is on stuff like "Velvet Morning."

8. walrus

Thanks! No idea why I couldn't find it in my search.

Edit: $81 shipped. Not bad. And nice to see one of these supersized vinyl boxes reasonably priced and with well-thought out content.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  9. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Do you think the mastering will be different from last year's remaster ?
    Is it worth paying 90€ if i do not care about bonuses and t last year's can be bought for 24€ ?

10. MarioHead

MarioHead Forum Resident

Pre-ordered the 6LP set myself. I'm really excited for the Haigh Hall concert.

walrus likes this.
  11. walrus

I doubt it would be markedly different. I'd even guess that the main album might use the same stampers. The big selling point here is the b-sides and live set.

Speaking of...how disappointing is it that the Storm In Heaven b-sides never got this kind of treatment?

AlienRendel likes this.
  12. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Amazon.uk lowered the price for the CD/DVD set last week, I could not resist.

13. MarioHead

MarioHead Forum Resident

Pre-ordered the 6 lp set from Amazon UK for roughly $81 including shipping to New York.

14. Hallogallo

Hallogallo Forum Resident

Faktory Studio is run by Simon Jones.

"So today and yesterday 75% of The Verve were having a jam in the live room. Good to see the lads playing again!!!"
    [​IMG]

AlienRendel, jamesc and BadJack like this.
  15. Hallogallo

Pretty sure this is a shot of them.[​IMG]

16. MarioHead

MarioHead Forum Resident

17. walrus

I wonder what they were doing... :shh:

I don't think I could do "the Verve" with a new singer, but I'd certainly be into those three working with a new singer under a new name, and perhaps rekindling some of the spirit of the first two albums.

18. Hallogallo

I'd be happy with instrumental tracks.

19. walrus

That would get pretty boring pretty fast for me. Nick McCabe is one of my favorite guitarists, but without someone organizing those jams into some kind of structure, it's just not that interesting. My favorite Verve tracks are things like "A Northern Soul" or "Slide Away," full of great guitar playing and soundscapes, but still well sorted out with some great melodies on top.

They could get Liam to sing, and be kind of the british Audioslave. :laugh:

20. Hallogallo

I understand that, but please, no Liam.
    I love long meandering sonic jams, although A Northern Soul is actually my favorite Verve song and one of my favorite guitar sounds ever.

Whatever needs to happen to have those 3 releasing music together again would work for me.

AlienRendel and supernaut like this.
  21. walrus

That was a joke. I like good jams, but get bored when they lose purpose and start...meandering. I really do think the band found a great balance in the 90's...you had sprawling, tripped-out stuff like "The Sun, The Sea" or "Rolling People," but they kept it focused and in check, and didn't let the tunes go on longer than they should have in the studio. Without a vocalist, it's tough for that style of music to have any structure or context. Not impossible, obviously, but going by the few instrumental b-sides and album tracks they had in the 90's, that isn't really something they're keen on on their own.

AlienRendel, Rupe33 and Hallogallo like this.
  22. Hallogallo

I can't disagree with any of this.

23. walrus

This whole thread reminds me, I need to go back and listen to Black Submarine again. I remember when it came out, but I gave it a couple listens and it didn't stick with me. I was about to say "maybe the band should get a female singer to avoid Ashcroft comparisons" and then realized "wait, they already sort of did that." :laugh: But I don't really remember what it sounded like.

Hallogallo likes this.
  24. Hallogallo

I actually really liked it.
    Don't forget they did some soundtrack work before the album. There's some really good rocking tunes there also.

25. walrus

For what soundtracks? Song titles? There's a version on Apple Music with three bonus tracks, I wonder if those were the soundtrack tunes?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.