The Verve - Urban Hymns (2017 Box Set)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by raimiz1991inc, Jun 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hallogallo

Hallogallo Forum Resident

2. TomNYC

TomNYC Forum Resident

See here:

Hallogallo and AlienRendel like this.
  3. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Where are all these coming from? Did McCabe quietly slip someone the vetoed disc?

A Man Called Sun and granata like this.
  4. A Man Called Sun

A Man Called Sun Forum Resident

Of course not! How dare you accuse Nick of leaking an album worth of unheard studio quality material that he firmly believes should have been part of the boxset because he feels the fans deserve to hear it, and considers it a travesty that Richard blocked it.

Geez, next you'll be accusing Nick of leaking Blue Pacific Ocean back in 2008 because he was miffed it never got on the album and wanted everyone to hear how good it was.

;)

ZEP77, qtrules, Yorick and 10 others like this.
  5. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Real talk: Is the LP box-set worth $100, or should I stick to the regular LP for $20?
    (or the CD set plus the LP, or just the CDs?) So many options!

6. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Best post of the week!

7. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I saw one of the Cole dates, too. It was a decent enough show but I'd seen them, with McCabe, the previous fall and it remains one of the best shows I've ever seen. In less than a year, the "Bitter Sweet" legal woes had emerged, the guitar player left, and the planned tour of small arenas with Massive Attack was downgraded to a solo tour of much smaller sheds. The band seemed deflated, and they apparently were because they were done at the end of the month.

I don't remember much about Cole or obvious samples, but my memory's foggy. I know that Richard seemed to play more electric rhythm guitar. I used to have a boot of the show somewhere; maybe I can find it.

Anyway, the "Urban Hymns" box in en route as we speak.

walrus likes this.
  8. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Mine might get here tomorrow, I'll try to post some impressions. Although mine was only $79 from Amazon UK.

9. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I just received the Box Set(CD) today. I was wondering if you own the CD Box set for 'A Northern Soul' and if so, is the Outer Box just as nice as the one used for this 'Urban Hymns' CD Box Set? It is a really nicely put together, except do not care for the cardboard sleeves used for all of the discs.

10. I don't have the A Northern Soul set but it is on order for me. I have seen it so, while I can't attest to how the contents are packaged on the inside, it appears to be the same.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  11. followmehome

followmehome Forum Resident

Word is that there are high quality WAV files doing the round of the tracks that were nixed. If anyone would be willing to share (via private message), it'd be much appreciated!!!!

TomNYC, wayneklein and Hallogallo like this.
  12. Hallogallo

Me too!

13. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

I, also, would love to know where to find said aforementioned WAV files.

Hallogallo likes this.
  14. I agree. Flac would be great!

I just find it perplexing. It seems like more of a control issue for Ashcroft.

Hallogallo likes this.
  15. A Man Called Sun

A Man Called Sun Forum Resident

I hope the people getting the WAVs will at least buy the digital album, if not the boxset as a thanks to Nick, Si and Pete as they're worth the money alone, as the unreleased stuff is basically a new Verve album on its own.

The person who leaked them did so because he/she believed fans buying the reissue deserved to hear them.

16. Hallogallo

Indeed.
    It definitely changes the history of Urban Hymns.

17. TheSeldomSeenKid

I bought the Box Set(CD) and even though a little high priced(although pre-ordered a few months ago from Amazon UK not sure I paid much less than Amazon US now, since had to pay for Shipping), it is still something I had to own being my 3rd favorite album from 1997. I do feel disappointed now finding out there are a lot of unreleased songs that were not included and wish I knew how to access the WAV files.

18. djcavanagh

djcavanagh Forum Resident

Ditto.
    [​IMG]
    Delivery 1 of 1 has been dispatched

Order No. C2565822— Thursday, July 6, 2017 3:49:38 PM

Shipped Item(s)
    1 x Urban Hymns: Super Deluxe (20th Anniversary Edition)
    1 x Bitter Sweet Symphony Alt. Version: Exclusive 12" Vinyl Single
    1 x The Verve – Photographs By Chris Floyd

19. TomNYC

TomNYC Forum Resident

+1 to this. The boxset is worth the money as is, the live material and the DVD are great, and the book is well done. I would love to have been given the opportunity to support the band by buying the unreleased stuff as well, even as a separate release, it is a shame that they weren't included.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  20. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

Got the boxset. And all the other stuff they've released officially. I want those outtakes! :uhhuh:

21. shelflife

shelflife Forum Resident

My Urban Hymns box vinyl arrives today. Those digital files would be the icing on a very delicious cake. Would love to hear them.

22. TheSeldomSeenKid

The book and the photo cards were a nice surprise to me, as guess I missed those items being included when I ordered the Box Set, as just was looking at the music on the CDs and DVD in the Box Set. The Sturdy Outer Box is good quality and seems similar to the U2 Deluxe Sets from 2007(?) for The Unforgettable Fire & The Joshua Tree.

23. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

Me too, please! :)

24. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

The box arrived last night. I only gave a quick spin to the original album but everything sounds and looks good.

Nice to see everybody giving credit to the somewhat forgotten Simon Tong, McCabe pointing out that he's been credited for things Simon played.

meandafoe likes this.
  25. faz09

faz09 Forum Resident

I got the CD/DVD remaster in the mail today and opened it up. Really nice packaging. I don't have the CD versions of the previous remasters. I have a feeling this one is much nicer. I was hoping to find out about the bside "MSG". I did find out that it is based on Bittersweet Symphony. I still have questions on who from the Verve was responsible for this song or was it a re-mixer who came in? The info in the book that comes with the remaster only lists the same credits as the other versions of Bittersweet Symphony within this package. Anyone else have any details of this song. The song is not unexpected but it is radically different than any other song they released.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.