The voice of UNDERDOG Wally Cox had a hit record, well, a wacky record..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

This 1949 RCA-Victor record (for reasons unknown) was actually reserviced as a 45 single to radio in 1976 and our college station got a copy. It fascinated the hell out of me. Listen to both sides. Like a bi-polar nightmare but funny.

CliffL and billdcat like this.
  2. Steve Hoffman

I'd like to meet the Victor A&R man who approved that coupling!

3. Byrdsmaniac

Byrdsmaniac Forum Resident

That's a riot! I hadn't thought of Wally Cox in decades. Thanks for that.

4. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Mister Charlie likes this.
  5. Steve Hoffman

I guess encouraged by his buddy Marlon Brando, Wally went on Arthur Godfrey's Talent Scouts TV program in 1949 and performed both DUFO and the YODEL. Went over great, hence the record release.

Ya learn something new every day!

BTW, my uncle used to love to tell the story of how two bikers almost ran him off the road in Beverly Hills one day. Those two bikers were Brando and Cox.

Love that.

6. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

That first bit sounds like he's imitating Brando, and the second is harder than hell. Just wow.

7. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Now THAT is an awesome story = love it!

Btw - love that Wally Cox b-side.

8. RickJ

RickJ Forum Resident

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing the single, the background on it, and your uncle's story. Always loved Wally.

9. Steve Hoffman

Wally was one of a kind.

10. Steve Hoffman

Wait, I have a Wally story. My buddy and I were on a field trip to NBC "Color City", Burbank where we were writing a homework assignment on how the TV news was done, we snuck out of the news area and into one of the stages to see if we could find anything going on. No one cared, no one stopped us. My mom was waiting in the car in the lot.

So, they are filming HOLLYWOOD SQUARES on one of the stages, I guess they filmed all of them in one day or something. So, the audience is almost non-existent. No one is there. We sit down, watch a show. They must have added a laugh track later, there wasn't a peep.

At any rate, the show was over and we just got up, went down to the stage as they were breaking and followed everyone off the set, around the big squares (which looked like they would fall down if you breathed on them) and right backstage and through the open doors. We found ourselves in the dressing room area and all were filled with the stars of the show. We peeked in to one dressing room and there was Wally Cox and Rose Marie knocking back a few. Wally looked over and said "Hi, Kids!"

We said "Hi, Wally!" and got out of there. Still, no one stopped us so we ended up (if you've ever been to NBC) in that long hallway in the middle of the place that connects all the stages. We wandered around, saw master control, etc., it was great.

That's it, but Wally was nice to us, that's what I remember the most.

(Opening of the daytime HOLLYWOOD SQUARES show of February 16, 1973, the day after Wally's death):
    Peter Marshall: "Dear Lord, have no fear, Underdog is there!"

Wally%20Cox%20103%205-28-11.jpg

11. RickJ

RickJ Forum Resident

This thread just keeps getting better and better! Great story, captivates the imagination big time - thanks yet again!

12. Steve Hoffman

Most people have no idea who Wally Cox was. Only us old-timers....

13. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

I loved the Burbank facility. And Wally Cox.

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  14. Steve Hoffman

NBC, Burbank was quite the place.

15. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

I'm a fan. An old fan.

16. mark kirk

mark kirk Forum Resident

Wow, I grew up watching Underdog and Wally on the Hollywood Squares, but was never aware of the Brando connection - friends since childhood? That is so cool... and the yodelling on "There Is a Tavern In The Town', I'm no fan of the genre (is yodelling a genre?), but that IS impressive.

17. RickJ

RickJ Forum Resident

I'm not sure if a separate thread should be created to pose this question.

In light of the cessation of the "Adventures In Mastering" threads (pre-release, at least), and relative to this thread, the "A Nun's Story" thread, and other personal recollection threads Steve has posted, my question is, might we ever see "Adventures In Mastering" - The hardcover book?

It could start with some autobiographical background, peppered with memorable childhood recollections such as this post #10 here, tell us when and how you realized that audio engineering was your calling, and go from there with your best stories.

I realize that the number one prohibitive factor for this would probably be lack of available time to attempt such a thing (if there were a desire or interest in doing so), but it would be a book that i, for one, would certainly buy.

18. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Wally Cox was indeed a great entertainer with an interesting life.

19. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

The matrix numbers would have indicated that these tracks were recorded and released in 1953, to tie in to his then-fame as "Mr. Peepers" on TV. And listening to the B side, it would appear on the face of it that the simple piano, bass and guitar backing, plus the overall "sound," betrays which label released it. (And since NBC in those days was co-owned with RCA Victor, wouldn't this have been one of the early cases of corporate synergy?)

CaptainOzone likes this.
  20. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

I sure remember him. Mister Peepers! Always made me feel great just to see him pop up in film/tv. Drollness as high art. I remember the moment I heard he passed, stopped me cold like the death of JFK, so I'm guessing he meant a lot to me.

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  21. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

I loved Underdog!

22. LeeDempsey

LeeDempsey Forum Resident

Bumbletort, we run into each other in another thread!

I was going to post something eerily similar. I was about 11 years old when Wally Cox died (1973) and I remember being so upset when I heard the news. I remember my mom explaining the irony of his Jockey underwear commercial where he says, "Outside I might look like Wally Cox, but inside, I feel like Tyrone Power" -- both died of massive heart attacks in their '40's.

Lee

bumbletort likes this.
  23. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

Haha! This is funny--I'm in the habit of telling my wife when I'm dressed for the beach, "I'm a Wally Cox god." And I mean it, too. One of the things I always loved about him is you knew that it was all a splendid act, that there was a core of steel in there, a very smart and tough character. I remember reading about his best friend Brando and how upset Marlon was--think he couldn't even attend the funeral, just hung around outside nearby or something like that. Made perfect sense to me.

24. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

There's no need to fear...Underdog is here!!!

I loved that cartoon! :love:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.