The Walking Dead on AMC (part 2)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MilesSmiles, Mar 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MilesSmiles

MilesSmiles Oenologist Thread Starter

2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Thought the season finale was pretty good, not great. The previous episode was IMHO better. The deaths were of the red shirt variety...Clearly most of the second half of the episode (as well as the previous episode) were to move Rick's character to the place where he could give that final speech.

Much as I have found Lori annoying (along with the rest of you), I hadn't gone over to the "kill her now" camp until this episode. Now I'm with you fully.

3. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I'm also now in that camp. When she backed away from Rick in "disgust" after he told her what happened, it just painted her as an evil, conniving, hypocrite - mainly due to the whispered conversation she had with Rick a few episodes ago about Shane, that seemed like she was taunting him to do something about Shane.

Her character is either a complete and utter manipulator AND hypocrite, or the writing of her character just plain blows. I'm going with the latter.

The hooded figure's rescue of Andrea in the forest was the best part of the episode. I don't know who it is beyond their name, and don't want to know any more until next season.

Thank goodness they're off that bloody farm, and things are moving on.

4. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

My wife has been referring to Lori as Lady MacBeth for a while now.
    I don't know about killing her off - the emotional estrangement between her and Rick and the ambivalence she feels could fuel some interesting developments.
    Glad Herschell survived. His old Testament-like character could also be interesting in the context of new plot lines.

5. Good end to the season. Lori's reaction to Rick's confession was baffling and off-putting. A real improvement over season 2 so I am cautiously optimistic for the future.

6. Enjoyable finale. Still, one wonders why the cast just didn't all drive off in the vehicles when they saw the hordes of zombies approaching, wait a couple hours until the zombies passed and then go back to the farm... if for nothing else than to pick up supplies (if not to just move back in). That said, I'm glad they left.

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Lori may be carrying Shane's baby...she still had feelings for him...perhaps she was hoping Shane would win in a confrontation with her husband.

8. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Nothing left. A hoard the size will destroy anything in it's path. They describe in the comics this way. One zombie brushes up against a door knob and rattles it, this attracts him and others join him they keep pilling on until what we saw with the fence happens with basically any structure in their path.

It's like a tornado runs through.

9. subatomic09

subatomic09 Forum Resident

Yeah, I wasn't at all bothered by Lori's reaction - which is weird, because I don't like her. I think it was an entirely appropriate reaction, in fact.

The way I see it, it's case of "be careful what you wish for." Lori wanted Shane out of the way, but there has obviously been a part of her that still feels something, even just in the sense of the gratitude that we saw by the windmill a couple episodes ago. She does feel that Shane is the only reason her and Carl lived to see Rick again.

She knew that Shane had become a problem, hence the conversation with Rick to do something about it. But now the reality of knowing her husband has killed Shane is harder to accept than she expected, and not only because Shane is gone for good and a part of her is most definitely grieving that (despite what she says, she knows this baby could be Shane's and that does something to you). The fact is, killing Shane changed Rick. Maybe Lori goaded him to do it, but I don't think she believed Rick had it in him. I think she thought he'd find a diplomatic means, maybe convince Shane to go off on his own, whatever. She's looking at Rick differently now, she seems almost a little frightened of him.

More than anything, I think that scene was about Lori realizing that Rick is not the same man he was before all of this started. And she's wondering will he be able to keep control, and not let this world drag him over the edge like it did Shane.

10. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

In that case, her whispered challenge (or attempt at manipulation) in Rick's ear a few episodes back, taken with her big weepy SORRY to Shane could all be seen as a big attempt by HER to put together that confrontation, no? The question is: who was she hoping would win?

In any case, I am now, more than ever, ready to have her (and Carl) both just disappear. Ugh.

11. subatomic09

Guys, I'm rarely one to correct spelling, but since it's a word that comes up a lot around here:

It's horde, not hoard.

12. hutlock

Well, given that most of us here HOARD music, I understand the mistake! :righton:

13. subatomic09

:laugh:

14. Paradiddle

Paradiddle Forum Resident

Er, I believe the actual term used in both the comics and show is "herd." :hide:

15. hutlock

I think you are correct!

16. subatomic09

True, they use the term "herd" in the show, but the phrase "zombie horde" is a common phrase used by fans of zombie fiction. A horde is a large group, like a swarm of zombies.

17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, as I said...

we are on the same page...

18. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I was thinking how this season ended right where it started. At first, thinking, ironic, but then, I'm back to the whole lost second season of Lost.

Back where they started the season and what have they gained? No supplies, different people, no direction, no base camp, and not much for useful knowledge. They only reveal was that Rick knew that everyone was infected a season ago. So not new. Not really moving foreword.

There was quite a bit of character developement. Did the story have to stop for an entire season for the development to occur?

I did like the hooded character and thought that has a chance to be exciting. What does she know? Where is she from? What can we learn from her? What does she bring?

I'm glad this season is over so the story can finally move.

19. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Decent finale.... Loved Andrea's rescuer.... What's up with that!!!

Lori has gone from bad to worse. If she was killed off the next episode I would be very happy...

20. subatomic09

I think there are some comparisons to be drawn from Lost. Namely, that when trying to survive in a harsh environment, there will be as many steps backwards as forwards. It's part of the experience, working twice as hard for half the gains is one that people would most definitely have to deal with in this scenario. Early on the series, I think it's crucial, in fact, that the characters do reach a point where they have worked very hard without moving forward, because it's a point at which they can say, "Well, none of that worked, we have to rethink our game plan." That would happen in real life.

21. hutlock

I agree totally with you. There was plenty of "development" this season. You can be in the same place under the same circumstances (which they are not, really, because a few of them are dead for one thing...) and still have "development" aplenty.

22. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I disagree: The entire season, in my opinion, has been about the characters learning to cope with the new reality and with each other.

The key point: How Rick has changed, as suggested by his final speech. It's no longer a democracy, and Rick will now do what he has to to keep their group alive. In a sense, he has stepped into Shane's shoes, although with a greater fundamental sense of humanity.

They have laid the groundwork for how this group will deal with subsequent terrors OTHER THAN ZOMBIES.

I think this groundwork was necessary.

23. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

I wouldn't mind if she goes away. Here is my version: Lori's baby dies in utero and from there we get.. zombie fetus! :eek:

That might be a little rough, even for this show.

24. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Actually that's tame compared to stuff that happens in this series. Not sure how much of it will make it to the TV series, but that's lame and cliche compared to the real horrors down the road.

25. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

We saw how the zombies all followed the helicopter. Daryl (or somebody) could have hopped on his bike and led them off. A few miles down the road at an intersection he could have gunned it and circled back around to the farm.

Chad

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.