The Walking Dead Season 8

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Aggie87, Oct 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeah, it is entertaining. I like it. It's like a spoof of the comic book, only, alas, now the comic book is a spoof of the comic book.

I love to watch this show, and so does the wife and my two kids. The cool thing is, my kids never question the show, so I follow them in. In fact, I was thinking during this very episode that one day my kids will look back on family TV time, hopefully with sense of nostalgia.

It seems as if the times I knew as a kid, with the whole family sitting around watching a TV show, has gone bye bye. I am thankful to the TWD for that.

But you're right; with shows like Fargo, The Leftovers, Better Call Saul, Ozark, Narcos, Mindhunters, The Knick, etc., The Walking Dead is downright candy. And there's always time for candy in my book. :D

Purplefowler and notesofachord like this.
  2. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I wonder why Rick's flash forward or fantasy sequence would include a Weird Al tune? I'm kind of assuming that someone very close to Rick is going to die before the end of the season.

DHamilton likes this.
  3. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Did one of Negan's men almost accept Rick's offer to surrender, and didn't this happen right in front of Negan?

I felt myself daydreaming through most of the gunshots and explosions, but I always do that.

Rock-C-Art and Aggie87 like this.
  4. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

No matter what happens, at least they still have twizzlers.

5. timind

timind phorum rezident

When the episode ended with Negan still alive I vowed not to watch anymore. I don't care how the show would progress without him, the fact they didn't have a couple sharpshooters with rifles ready to take Negan's head off when he walked out the door is more than I can accept.

Also, why would they bring a horde of zombies to do their killing? At this point, the zombies are the least dangerous two legged creatures on the show.

I'm out.

Rock-C-Art and jriems like this.
  6. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

Breaking Bad was just a freakin' TV show too . . .but they managed to make real characters in real situations with well-written dialogue and kept their audience on edge week after week.
    TWD is a joke, pure and simple.

7. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

don't those things get super hard after they have been on the shelf for too long?

Morton LaBongo, EVOLVIST and Scotian like this.
  8. Scott Gimple already explained that she had twizzled the whole thing in her mouth to moisten it up before finding an end to chew on. It seems this was the biggest point of contention this episode, so I'm glad that's cleared up.

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, they crystallize like glass...

10. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

My biggest bone of contention with this one isn't the shelf life but more of anything on the shelf at all. A few seasons ago they were making a big deal about Carl & his pudding so it's already been established there's not much packaged food left around. This does pretty much fall in line with what I expect from this show these days so it's not a big deal.

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

how can we expect logic in a show about Zombies? stick with it! LOL!

12. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

For those that insist these niggling complaints are just nitpicks from viewers looking for something to complain about, in my case it truly isn't.

I like TWD. I've been watching it from the beginning. I know how to suspend disbelief. I'm not going out of my way to find these stupid, stupid scenarios. They just present themselves so blatantly and lamely that it's like being smacked in the face with Lucille.

It's clear the makers of TWD don't care anymore about doing things in a way that would curb the negativity from observing the stupid. I think they feel it's so entrenched and successful that they don't have to think too much anymore. I think they're just getting extremely lazy.

The two major complaints mentioned for 8-1 - the Negan convo setup, and the walkers moving at a lightning pace behind Darryl and his motorcycle - are both legit and easily correctable. The show runners just don't care anymore about going to the trouble of correcting them.

13. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Comic Book Spoiler

People with a blood lust for Negan eventually getting his just desserts are going to be sorely disappointed if the show follows the comics and Rick spares Negan's life to make a philosophical point and instead locks him up in the town jail for a life sentence.

14. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

Wouldn't all canned food be way post its expiration date by now. My stuff is only good for a year. We are talking cans that are years old.

15. I mean this guy is like Hitler. Knowing this why wouldn't anyone just take the friggen shot right away.

Of course its just a TV show but are you kidding me?

Rock-C-Art likes this.
  16. Gasoline would have broken down by now and would not be able to fuel a car either. It would be interesting if they addressed this (and had to start figuring out other ways to get around) but I'm guessing the writers won't.

beat_truck likes this.
  17. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Aren't all of the dead Saviors going to turn into Zombies now? Why not blow up the whole place once it was infiltrated?

Shawn likes this.
  18. And why wouldn't Gabriel kill Negan on sight?

Rock-C-Art likes this.
  19. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

You guys do know it’s not a documentary don’t you? :D

I really enjoyed it. Yes it’s inaccurate, sometimes plain stupid and the pacing can be fickle, but it’s one of the few series that I’ve watched from the start and am still enjoying. It’s an hour a week where I can turn reality off and just enjoy the ride. Glad to see carol is back and I did smile when Morgan took that first kill too. Having been a fan of the comics, it will be interesting to see where the tv follows and where it splits off. Even Carl didn’t annoy me last night (although his attempt at a beard on talking dead was dodgy)

oxegen likes this.
  20. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Easily decapitating the leadership on that balcony would not remove the Saviors as a threat. I think Rick has a strategy, and is luring them out for a larger battle.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    notesofachord and Aggie87 like this.
  21. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Episode was middling-to-bad overall. It wasn’t the worst the show has ever been.

The complaint about Rick (and others) not shooting Negan despite having a *clear* shot is an obvious complaint, but it’s 100% valid. I’m not saying “Negan should be killed.” I’m saying they could *easily* write it and stage it in such a way that doesn’t make Rick and his crew look like total morons. Just *don’t* stage it so they have a clear shot. There, done!

To those that say this is just nitpicking, I submit that if it’s such a minor detail, it would then have been very easy for them to fix. They’ve already received this same criticism last season. We all get it; they’re not going to kill Negan yet, if ever. Nothing to do with any comic spoilers. He’s just too big of a character. But the showrunners aren’t even trying to not make *both sides* of this “all-out war” look completely incompetent.

And yes, even though I had already seen/heard it in the trailer for this season a few months ago, Negan’s “s****ing pants” line is among the worst, most ridiculous lines ever written and uttered in a major, popular TV series and certainly one of the dumbest lines ever written for this show, and this show has some doozies from the past.

Rick’s speech to the crowd was full of empty bumper sticker slogans. He didn’t really actually say anything. Even as a generic pep talk it was awful.

They send Enid with the main crew to attack Negan, but Carl *and* Michonne stay behind? Huh?

Apparently, viewers are moving on as well, as while the show still maintains strong ratings, this was the lowest viewership for a season premiere since Season 3 five years ago. At this rate, there’s no way this show’s going to last 20 seasons like they seem to want.

This is pretty good review of the opener that I agree with:

'The Walking Dead' Season 8, Episode 1 Review: Mercy

timind, Hall Cat, beat_truck and 2 others like this.
  22. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I`m not even sure what I think about this show anymore.

timind likes this.
  23. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I'm not sure *all* of the flashforwards were fantasies. The "old Rick" sequence (where Rick has a buzzcut and an AWFUL glue-on beard on top of his actual beard, where he has seemingly aged five to ten years, while Michonne hasn't aged at all and Judith has aged a year or so....so dumb...) could easily if not likely be a fantasy. But those bits where Rick is in a cold sweat while stained glass hangs above him seemed to be actual flashforwards of something that *will* take place.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  24. balzac

balzac Senior Member

This "isn't supposed to die" part is undoubtedly true; there's no way the showrunners would kill him off this quickly. But they seem to be unwilling to write scenarios where it's plausible that Rick doesn't shoot Negan and kill him.

Negan may be a "sly dude", but he's presented as a total buffoon on the show who takes *no precautions* and *should have* been shot. The only person who outmatches his seeming idiocy is Rick for not taking the shot.

It was a super-easy fix they could have made. Have Negan use a human shield. Having him talk to Rick but stay out of sight. Put a higher fence or something else in front of Rick and his crew to make a shot at Negan implausible.

beat_truck and Shawn like this.
  25. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I don't think anyone should have expected Negan to be killed off. But I wasn't expecting the writing and direction and staging to be so lazy that it's painfully obvious Rick could shoot Negan and be done with the whole thing. I half expected "Scott Evil" to go up to Rick and offer to kill Negan, just like that Austin Powers movie scene.

Season 2 of "The Walking Dead" was Citizen Kane compared to where the show is now. Shane threatening Dale, and then Hershel. Relatively intense stuff. Take a look at where the show is at now. How much time has passed between Season 6 and 8?

I'm willing to wager Season 1 and Season 2 saw much more time progress. But more importantly, interesting things happened episode-to-episode. It was never a perfect show, but its early season were *far* better. The Governor, even with his flaws, was far more intriguing than Negan.

The show still hasn't done anything as intense as the episode where Rick, Hershel, and Glenn and pinned down in that bar and then are accosted by the two random guys.

I'm pretty sure if Darabont or even Mazzarra was still running the show, it wouldn't be as bad as it now under Gimple. I get the sense Gimple is a good company guy, and that's why they keep him on. I believe both Darabont *and* Mazzarra are in the midst of lawsuits with AMC.

beat_truck likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.