The Walking Dead Season 8

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Aggie87, Oct 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Yeah, but I saw it coming a mile away. I mean, you had to know Negan was going to take him out. I just wonder what type of twisted thing Negan has in mind for Dwight now.

2. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

I thought that was a surprisingly good episode. After an initial period of silence, Negan finally showed that he knew about Simon and Dwight's betrayals, and I liked how he handled it. It was Laura after all that he picked up in the car. I did not see the fistfight with Simon coming and fully expected that he would get Lucilled. Though relatively short, that was one of the best one-on-one matches I've seen on TV recently. Eugene is finally making bullets, and although he clearly did not want to get captured by Darrl and Rosita, I wonder if he may have some kind of plan to sabotage the bullets. Wasn't he looking closely at the end of one of the bullets for some reason? I don't think any mention was made of how Gregory got back to the Saviors' compound, but he was his typical cowardly self. Even though Rick's group now has a phoney battle plan, I somehow assume that the Saviors' overconfidence will again lead to another defeat like we've already seen 2 or 3 times. It will be interesting how the season wraps up next week.

3. I was hoping Simon would have been smart enough to leave with a few of his loyalists to start his own crew. It could have brought a bit more chaos to the group dynamics.

4. Lownote30

He was never smart enough to do that and underestimated Negan in a fist fight situation as well, though.

5. balzac

balzac Senior Member

The show's not really getting any better in a measurable, technical sense. It's getting a bit more watchable in recent episodes simply by virtue of "things" actually happening.

The writing was still awful in this episode. Negan recounting how he found out about Simon and Dwight was written like the ending of a Scooby Doo episode.

The stuff with Aaron reminded us that yes, the writers are still willing to put scenes in episodes that elicit the now-common "Walking Dead" response of "Oh yeah, I forgot; that character is still on the show."

I agree that Simon was one of very few interesting characters (along with Dwight). So *of course* Gimple killed Simon off. It's what Gimple does. I have little faith they'll do something good with Dwight, but I guess we'll (maybe) see.

I also wouldn't count on any answers about the helicopter. I think that'll come next season.

And that poor lady on the "Talking Dead" episode; the "Ultimate Fan"; she writes like 20 pages of color-coded notes (a close-up freezeframe proves what I thought, which is that the notes were as useless and as much a filler as the actually writing on the show), and of course is only going to be talking for about two minutes total in the episode. But hey, she can probably make some good money on eBay with her huge gift basket.

6. To be fair, he never thought he'd be in a fist fight situation with Negan, and didn't have a say in it one way or the other. But point taken on him not being the smartest turnip on the truck.

Lownote30 likes this.
  7. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I don't think it was implausible that Simon thought he could take Negan in a non-weapon fight. Of course it was dumb to talk before the fight like it was a sure thing. But he's arguably taller than Negan, and doesn't seem particularly smaller in any way. All else being equal (and Simon has probably been doing more hand-to-hand as Negan's #2 guy), it's not comically implausible that Simon could take out Negan.

But I thought there was a *very rare* quick interesting (if obvious) insight from Steven Ogg about this scene: The character of Simon (and probably the others) *would* probably be interested to know if Negan's "toughness" comes predominantly from his bat rather than his fists.

Shawn likes this.
  8. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

And Simon & Dwight would have gotten away with it if not for those meddling kids(err. that meddling woman).

I thought Gimple was replaced as the Showrunner with a Woman also involved with the show(forget her name), because of ratings decline and viewers' criticisms of the recent seasons, or was this change not to be implemented until the start of next season?

9. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Correct, the new showrunner starts *next season.* So we're still watching Gimple-helmed episodes through the end of this season.

10. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Boy, this season has been hard to watch. Would somebody please kill Negan so it can go forward.

Phil Tate likes this.
  11. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

One of the things that bugs me about this show is the disappearance of Heath. I get that the actor that plays him has had many other lucrative projects outside TWD, but to just completely go on without mentioning him after his disappearance for an entire season is really weird. No search party? No concern from anyone that one of their own has gone missing? No one misses him? No one cares about his whereabouts? Not even Tara? They don't have to do an entire episode on him, but at least mention him, even in passing. A human being vanishing from your crew should be a big plot hole. At least, I'd like to think so.

12. DLD

DLD Senior Member

One of the season's better episodes yet, even tho it was a good un, I found myself fast forwarding thru the maudlin scenes. Altho Negan's storyline has been fully fleshed out and he needs to die, I'm gonna miss his personality as he seems to be the only person with one.

13. Well, this episode was full of twists and turns, like nobody saw Eugene escaping via projectile vomit, and nobody saw Carl's speech from beyond the grave going on way too long (hey it started off good), and of course nobody saw Aaron's brilliant plan coming, i.e. I'll make the Fish Women come around by slinking about their perimeter, exposed to the elements, surrounded by zombies, until they see how dedicated I am, even if it kills me. Of course his plan worked, and of course Rosita has perfect eyebrows and conditioned hair.

I really loved the scene with Gregory telling Simon off. Those were my two favorite TWD actors in the same room. Brilliant!

...and here I was thinking that the war would be over by this season. Yikes!

14. If they kill him, there will just be another super bad leader they’ll need to confront.

beat_truck likes this.
  15. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

I say there's a 98% chance Negan lives

16. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

I sense a “we knew the plan was a phony the whole time” twist coming. I hope I’m wrong.

17. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Daryl stopped trusting Dwight a couple episodes back.

Great speech by Gregory.

I agree I think Negan won't be killed but he might sneak away for a prolonged period.

Show needs to move in another direction.

18. You may be right. You may be wrong for all I know, but you may be right.

I think it's more likely that the Fish Women show up in the nick of time, spotting Negan's people and thwarting his evil plan. :evil:

19. As if having Rick as a super bad leader isn't enough? :whistle:

Shawn likes this.
  20. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

These are the things I want to know:

1) How many Saviors are there? They have killed hundreds of them and and they still project such a constant superiority in numbers all the time. How do you feed so many people?

2) How many bullets are there? Every battle is Saving Private Ryan worthy! By now they should be down to fighting with bats and axes. The Eugene factory is a joke.

3) Mentioned before: zombie falls down two flights of stairs and nobody hears it? Not a single guard when reason would tell you that the Saviors might attack again while you are all asleep? People getting bit all over the place but nobody screams?

4) What is the Garbage Lady going to do with the captured Negan? Uh, nothing, let him go.

5) There is still gasoline and diesel to run caravans of attacking trucks?

6) Negan has Dwight move the dumpster because he just happens to guess that that is where Simon is going to hold his meeting? And the shootings of Simon's peoples must have been done by the fastest sharpshooters in the world. Dwight and Negan are standing among them and they don't even flinch.

7) What the hell is Aaron doing in the wild, killing himself to show to the Seaside girls he is a nice guy? Every one of his arguments can be answered with "Yeah, but we are alive!"

8) By now everybody should be skinny as a stick, but they are not. Tara is my type of girl but really.....

9) I firmly believe Carl was killed off because the actor just could not pull it off anymore and was an embarrassment to the show. But why bring in another kid to dumb things down again?

and...

10) How many Saviors are there?

Kyhl, beat_truck, EVOLVIST and 4 others like this.
  21. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

That's ok, just move forward from him.

22. Lownote30

Answer to questions 1 - 10: It's a TV show!

EVOLVIST and Hall Cat like this.
  23. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Now that I'm caught up with the comic again I'm pretty sad that the show isn't taking more of the character arcs from the comic instead of going off in their own, awful, direction. What the show has done to some of the characters is a travesty.

shokhead likes this.
  24. I don't want to stray in to the comic much but I've been very disappointed in its writing lately as much as I am with the TV show.

25. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I won't introduce specific comic spoilers, but the way the Negan issue is addressed in the comic book seems like the most plausible way I could see the direction of the show moving in. Without going into specifics, it arguably solves the Negan problem both for those who like the character and those who don't.

They actually foreshadowed mirroring the comic book as far as what happens with Negan with something that occurred ages ago back in Alexandria. Again, I won't go into specifics.

Then again, with Carl gone, it's pretty clear they're going in the direction of mirroring elements of the comic book *less and less.* I don't think it's a spoiler to mention that there are later points in the comic book where things slow down to vary degrees, and I don't envision the TV show really doing that sort of setting/plotting for like an entire season.

How much they continue to pull elements of the comic book into the show will also of course depend on whether Lauren Cohan stays on the show or not. If both Maggie and Carl disappear from the show, they'll probably move in a very different direction from what is "supposed to" happen next.

But Gimple's awful showrunning has put the show in a pretty difficult predicament. They most likely need to get a pretty fresh start and a clean slate.

Kyhl, DreadPikathulhu and Shawn like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.