The Walking Dead Season 8

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Aggie87, Oct 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

They are telegraphing way too obviously that in the next Saviors-Hilltop battle the Seaside women are going to come to the last minute rescue. If this actually happens, it will be the laziest writing ever.

The show has plenty of strong and heroic female characters, more so than just about any show I can think of. I hope that they can come up with something not so obvious.

2. Speaking of Maggie, is she still pregnant?

3. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Great idea. I'll use that line for any show I watch from now on & I'll never be disappointed again.

4. balzac

balzac Senior Member

While even actors on the show Ogg and Serratos professed to not be aware of the precise timeline, it's basically been a few weeks *since Glenn died.* That's right, 32 episodes have taken place over the course of a few weeks. So Maggie is "barely" pregnant.

One of the primary reasons the show is such a slog is that it's moving so slowly. It's impossible for the viewer to still feel the urgency of emotion of Glenn's death that the characters on the show would be feeling.

That's why I was laughing when Christian Serrators talked about how much "Rosita" has evolved over the least season or two. Why would any character evolve that much over the course of a few weeks?

So of course, I'm guessing we'll get like a 27 year time jump for the next season because this show can't do anything subtly.

5. spewey

spewey Senior Member

What did you think of the latest episode of Here Comes Honey Boo Boo?

I LOVED IT!!!

Why?

IT'S A TV SHOW!!

:D:D:D

Scotian likes this.
  6. Ya know, as much as I respect you as a poster (I really do, both in music and TV shows), this is a tiny bit of a cop out. I'm not really calling you out in a negative way, but think about it. There's only so much that a show can ask the viewer to suspend their disbelief.

Sure, "It's a TV show," is a legitimate answer, inasmuch as we're watching a post-zombie-apocalyptic thriller/drama, but it's asking a lot of me to watch Indiana Jones escaping a nuclear blast in a lead-lined refrigerator 3 or 4 times an episode.

I watch the show because I've invested so much in the franchise, and I'm always curious what's going to happen next. In fact, I feel a little guilty always taking the piss out of the show, yet it's like having a sore on the roof of your mouth, or a black tooth; you keep tonguing it, despite the dull pain; you can't help yourself. It's a perverse glee.

Only one more episode to go this season, and we're in the exact same spot as where we started 15 episodes ago. I don't feel we've worked toward anything. It's an epic dry-hump. :)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  7. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

This season has definitely made me think about not watching the next one, but I have a pathological need to see it through to the end. The days of avoiding spoilers and getting up at 6AM on Monday to watch it are definitely over - I've even started reading reviews before watching the show so I know when to pay attention.

8. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Maybe with a new showrunner they can scrap these last two seasons in the first episode next year and trigger a reboot to a new story line. That may bring me back.

tommy-thewho likes this.
  9. Merle's gonna wake up and we find it was all some crazy dream he was having.

10. Hahaha! Merle, of all people! :biglaugh: Meth induced, no less!

11. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

I hope it ends like Blazing Saddles.

Imagine Darryl yelling " I'm workin' for Scott Gimple !" and punching a horse.... Actually, at this stage that's not that hard to imagine.

D.D.

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

let's see now...mulletman , crying preacher, whining Carl aka Master. Peacenick...OMG, it's getting worse than I imagined... more Carl sugar next week...why can't we all live in peace? LOL!...Give up your guns, Hmmm...PLEASE STOP!!!!...Negan was great as usual...smart as a whip...and kicking ass. The only normal one in that world...Pox on it. BUT, I will continue on.

tommy-thewho and Scott222C like this.
  13. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

I didn't say you had to love it and not be disappointed. I'm just saying it exists in the land of make believe.

14. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

If you're always curious about what's happening next, then the show is doing its job. You keep going back to it. I won't lie. I've been disappointed in episodes of TWD as well, but I don't need to talk about that here. I don't expect believable things to happen on TV. I expect to be entertained, and TWD is entertaining for the most part.

15. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

I think the show will end one of two ways.

1. We'll find out it was all a dream.
    2. They'll show everyone living in harmony years from now . . . even the walkers.

16. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I don't think anyone expects TWD to be top tier TV like The Wire, Breaking Bad, Sopranos, etc. It would, however, be nice if it seemed like the show tried a bit to hit that level. If they aimed high & failed, I'd admire them for that. The potential is there for the quality to come back but I don't know how many people will be left at that point that care anymore.

17. Well, as of right now, an average of 6.7 million viewers on Sunday nights, not counting the Live+3 numbers, which is assuredly higher, given on demand and re-broadcast viewers.

What's interesting is that's almost half the viewers of last season. That's a big drop off.

On the other hand, Breaking Bad only gleaned an average of 4.3 million viewers at its peak. Better Call Saul? 3.2 million viewers. I'm not even sure what the Sopranos and The Wire pulled in, as I don't know how they figure that in for premium channel viewership. Still, to throw another bone in the pile, Mad Men brought in 2.6 million viewers at its height.

Comparing apples to apples, by today's show standards, it really makes me wonder what excellent programs like The Leftovers, Ozark & The Handmaid's Tale brought in. One a premium channel show, the other two Netflix and Hulu, respectively.

It's a trip, right? :)

Scotian and Lownote30 like this.
  18. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Post-Apocalyptic Kumbaya..... nice. :uhhuh:

D.D.

rswitzer likes this.
  19. Michael

...unless they find a cure (since they are all infected) it cannot end happily...as soon as one dies they turn...an endless cycle that will go on forever all over the world...

tommy-thewho likes this.
  20. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

well said Michael.

Michael likes this.
  21. Michael

after 8 years I'm still trying to figure out the motive as to why the writers never gave us the reason for the virus, but gave us the info that everyone is INFECTED?...any thoughts?

22. Well, the comic doesn't even give us as much as the TV show. In the comic they sort of kinda figured that out, but it's still a nebulous concept, not confirmed by a doctor.

So, the reason for the TV show being so coy is a.) not to diverge from Kirkman's original premise that we'll never know what caused it, and b.) there is no B. :)

Really, I think it's better that way.

Michael likes this.
  23. Michael

but that makes for an endless loop...it could never end without a cure...maybe that's what they intended...

PaperbackBroadstreet likes this.
  24. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Rumor Season 9 is going in a whole other direction whatever that means.

Michael likes this.
  25. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

I always figured the walking dead referred to those who were not zombies ( as in they are dead men walking ).
    Therefore the inevitable end is when no more dead are walking. Period.

EVOLVIST and Michael like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.