The Walking Dead Season 8

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Aggie87, Oct 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I thought the main ammo problem was that their arms were all confiscated by The Saviors. So once they stopped paying tribute, there's no inherent reason not to have ammo...

2. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

They've been pretty unclear with the show's timeline but I don't think ammo has a long shelf life. They seem to have no problem going out and finding stashes of small arms but I also wonder why they haven't gone to a military base to pick up something bigger. They could have taken down the walls of Negan's building with some mortar shots or grenade tosses.

3. beat_truck

beat_truck Forum Resident

A good reason not to have ammo is that they are already a few years into the apocalypse, so I would think that it would be getting harder and harder to find ammo. New places to scavenge from that aren't already picked over aren't getting any more plentiful.

4. misterdecibel

Isn't that expecting a little too much realistic consistency in a show where we already accept the idea of animated corpses?

Is there such a thing as selective suspension of disbelief?

Bender Rodriguez and Lownote30 like this.
  5. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

no offense, but that false equivalency has been used to death when it comes to discussing this show.

6. beat_truck

No, not really. Not long ago at all they were having a very hard time finding ammo and were almost out, especially after the saviors cleaned them out. Now they have so much of it that they can waste thousands of rounds? That's TOTALLY inconsistent lazy writing.

7. DreadPikathulhu

So many of these issues could be solved by adding a line or two of dialog.

8. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

A show can establish whatever fantastical setting it wants, in this case a zombie apocalypse, but once the setup is complete it needs to follow internal logic. Not sure why it's so hard for some people to grasp that.

9. beat_truck

Exactly. All they had to do was mention they got ammo from an outpost or military camp etc. And on not shooting Negan on sight, they could have added at least some dialog about their plans. Maybe (hopefully) they will explain in the next episodes.

10. DreadPikathulhu

Most of the characters appear to have no problem finding shampoo and soap and are able to keep themselves well groomed. I wish they'd take some time off from Negan - we know they're not going to doing anything of consequence with him until the season finale anyway - and do some self-contained stories about life during the zombie apocalypse.

beat_truck and Daryl M like this.
  11. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

And didn't the garbage people take most of their guns?

Rock-C-Art and Higlander like this.
  12. misterdecibel

I'm halfway expecting that. It looks to me that they are engaged in a round of non-linear storytelling. Some time has passed since the end of the 7th season, leaving them some gaps to fill in if they choose. I think it may be too soon to judge events in S08E01 until a few more episodes have passed, to see if they go back and plug some of those plot holes.

13. This is how I would like TWD TV show to end (and I'm being serious, too):

This happens after the war with Negan. One of our heroes got a HAM radio to work, so our gang is on a mission to meet the people who they've been talking to via radio. They've made it as far as Pittsburgh, and while in the city they accidentally corner themselves on a tall rooftop of one of the buildings, while a good-sized hoard reaches them from the stairs leading to the roof. There are too many to fight.

Eugene jumps from the roof, rather than being killed by zombies. In the fight, we don't see Michonne go down because of the confusion; our view is obscured.

Penultimate scene: We're looking through Rick's eyes, as zombies are already feasting on his guts. Rick no longer feels pain, or if he does, he's too much in a death stupor to scream. He looks all the way to his left and sees that Michonne has been dead for at least a few minutes, as her motionless body is being eaten by a crowd of walkers. Slightly beyond Michonne's corpse is Carl, weaponless, scooting back on his butt, crying, while zombies are biting into his legs and lower torso, about to open him up wide. We flash to Rick's red-rimmed eyes over this loss. Rick then sees Maggie and Jesus, still standing, still fighting, and though Maggie appears to be whole, there is a great chunk of flesh missing from Jesus' left thigh. Jesus will be gone soon, too. This is when Rick dies, having taken his last look at Carl. The boy is now covered in zombies, yet his arms are seen flailing. It's over.

Cut to black.

Final scene: The empty rooftop. A view of the street. A hoard of zombies. One by one, in the crowd, we see Rick, Michonne, Eugene, and Carl, now zombies, slogging along with the rest of them. We don't see Jesus, but we know he was bitten badly, so he must be dead or on his way. We'll never know if Maggie made it.

~The End~

ArpMoog likes this.
  14. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

yeah I like that version, but this is TV and huge cajones would be needed to toss that out into the lap of the ever-dwindling audience.

I would love to see the final days turn into The Road or something of the like. Desolate, scarred and without hope.

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

16. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

...and yet, IMO, season three was more compelling and engaging episode to episode than season two. Just one man's opinion.

17. jeroemba

jeroemba Forum Resident

Speaking of internal logic, most of the gasoline should have gone bad by now, especially the one that was stored in a car tank. Therefore, the scene with Carl hunting for car gasoline didn't make any sense. It's funny that the show never adressed this issue. Mad Max anyone?

18. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

They could have and should have killed him early last season. I lost interest last season when Negan came to Victoria to confiscate all their firearms. Rick knew they were coming. In that stash of firearms was an RPG. Knowing Negan was coming, knowing that they wanted to kill Negan last season, they could have killed Negan and most of his lead henchmen in one shot then wack the rest in the ensuing ambush.

At that point I stopped caring about this show because it is so poorly written. I watched because my wife still wanted to watch it last season but we still haven't finished last season with two episodes to go. I checked in here hoping to find that the writing had gotten better but it sounds even worse, as unbelievable as that seems.
    Either finish off this story, or write it better. The writing and continuity has been horrible.

19. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I've had that issue since season two. Today's oxygenated gas has a very short shelf life, three months. Even if it wasn't gone, it wouldn't burn very well two years into the apocalypse.

Part of the reason I always run non-oxy in my small engines. Non-oxy can sit for years and still work.

Shawn likes this.
  20. masswriter

I'm glad that I didn't waste my hour...

is it already renewed for next season?

21. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

22. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

This show is a total waste of time... Wait! I mean, I still watch it every week. This forum almost got me again!

Vidiot likes this.
  23. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

That was kind of cute the first time you did that.

utopiarun and beat_truck like this.
  24. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Well the show sucks in every way! Crap! There I go again getting sucked into the collective disdain for this show. Why is this thread still going if everyone here hates it so much?

Oh yeah, it was never cute when this thread went into Walking Dead bashing mode. I'm just trying to inject a little humor into something people are taking way too seriously! When I read this thread, it reminds me of the comments at the end of Yahoo news articles (without the HUGE amount of spelling errors, of course).

25. masswriter

I really don't want to "bash it," but it's bashing itself.. C'mon!

Kyhl likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.