The Walking Dead Season 8

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Aggie87, Oct 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Higlander

Higlander Well-Known Member

Maybe they need to kill off Rick and Carl and a few of the long time people.

Realistically would they survive THIS long?
    As to Ammo, I thought they were all taken, ..........something feels wrong, like they messed up their own internal storyline.
    But they had enought to shoot Several thousand rounds???

2. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I think it's pretty insulting to compare posts in this thread to the "comments" section of news articles and the like. People here are by and large making cogent, clear arguments, whether one agrees or disagrees.

Also, the folks criticizing the show here, as far as I can tell, aren't trying to *convince* those who really like the show that they should change their mind and dislike it. It's just a discussion. I don't feel like anybody is taking it too seriously.

This is a TV show that has an *hour-long* post-show for *every* episode. So I don't think a few pages here is a case of taking the show too seriously.

Indeed, the show and more specifically the showrunners are giving the impression *they're* not taking the show seriously, which makes it appear that perhaps that's one of the reasons the show is getting worse.

As far as the "if you hate it so much, why do you watch it?" argument, which is often used when shows are criticized, I and others have explained in old posts that "The Walking Dead" *is* somewhat unique in that a lot of people, whose enthusiasm for the show has eroded slowly season after season, still have some sort of attachment to the show, to see the thing through.

The trainwreck this show is becoming is truly a fascinating story both on the creative side and the business side. Even at this late stage, AMC *could* clean house and get new writers and showrunners and turn this thing around. Most shows have *no* chance of doing that after eight seasons. But I think the concept of the show is strong enough that they could clean house both on staff and in terms of story/cast, and turn it around to some degree. Sure, they'd keep Kirkman on as producer because he owns a stake in the thing, and probably keep Nicotero on to do special effects. But get these guys out of the directors and writers chair, send Gimple off to do something on another show, and get the writing and mapping out of this show up to par to even 20% as good as other AMC shows like "Better Call Saul", etc.

mr. steak, Rock-C-Art, Shawn and 6 others like this.
  3. Higlander

I truly loved the show, but simply see a distinct decline in several ways. Mostly the writing though.
    I am not bashing it just to bash it, but criticizing something I truly loved for several years.

I hope it can come back and gain whatever it was it lost over the last couple seasons.
    There is a lot of good in some ways, but lack of logic overall.
    I always say, that if the writing is good enough you can easilty suspend your disbelief.
    One should not fight to suspend it.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  4. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Fair enough. That was a well thought out and well written critique/response. If we all talked about it this way, I feel like there could be a logical discussion/critique of this show at a table, and in person, without it spiraling into an argument. :edthumbs:

Higlander likes this.
  5. Lownote30

"Argument" is the keyword you used here. That's what it becomes on a forum like this rather than a discussion. What I keep seeing is the notion that people on this forum could produce better results for the show than the people who run it actually do. If people seriously think they could make a better Walking Dead, they should contact AMC with suggestions. For the record, I don't have a problem with people not liking the show. I just have the opinion that a number of posts in this thread have gone overboard with their "bashing" (not the same as critiquing).

6. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I was disappointed.

Negan was just asking to be shot standing out there. Ridiculous.

7. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

I don't feel Im bashing because I WANT TO LOVE THE SHOW LIKE I USED TO.... but at some point you have to ask if they are just insulting your intelligence?

Here is my critique:

zombie horde should kill in this order:

Rick
    Carl
    Judith
    Maggie
    Michonne
    Carol
    Gabriel
    Enid

and resurrect Merle . . . in fact the whole rest of the series should just be Merle fighting his way across zombie america with nothing but a Bowie knife and barbed wire. Maybe he can come across Ted Nugent holed up in his mansion and fight off the the encroaching holocaust with his arsenal of weapons, throwing taxidermy animals at the herd until they can cobble an escape plan which is never forthcoming, until Merle dispatches Nugent to the herd.

or maybe turn it into a musical....

DHamilton and Higlander like this.
  8. Higlander

I seriously think it is time for a few of the Main stars to go.
    Not that I do not like them, but realistically, some would have been killed by now.

By having them live no matter what, the suspense is partially gone. Everyone knows Rick, Carol, Daryl, Carl, and Sasha will live through pretty much anything.
    And I think that is where a lot of TV shows falter.
    You can rotate a main cast, and once in a while some will fall prey to zombies, or outlaw gangs shooting them or what have you.
    As it is, ........

9. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

Sasha is dead..

beat_truck and GentleSenator like this.
  10. Higlander

Wow, im tired...Meant MICHONNE!!!

11. Lownote30

Send your ideas to AMC and see what they think.

12. Higlander

They will not take ideas given privately from fans or individuals for legal reasons.

13. Yeah, like the legality of taking the idea and thieving money off of it.

14. Lownote30

Maybe they'll bring someone with a good idea on as a writer.

15. With a show like The Walking Dead, it's not about the writers and their good ideas. It's about towing the party line. The head writer knows the line and will squash anything that veers too far from it. It's like that in all writer's rooms. However, some writer's rooms are more liberal and judicious than others. Take Better Call Saul for example. AMC doesn't own the show outright, so the senior writers have a lot more leeway, thus trickling down to the junior writers.

What I find funny, yet kind of crappy, is that by the end of this season, this thread will probably be close to 50pgs, while current shows like Mr. Mercedes, Mindhunter, Narcos, Ozark and the like - much better shows in my estimation - can barely crack 5 or 10 pages.

Perhaps there is just so much to watch out there that the more high profile the show is, the more clicks it gets. Look, I'm doing it right now!

Rufus McDufus and GentleSenator like this.
  16. Rock-C-Art

Rock-C-Art Senior Member

Ah so true. So disappointed.

17. Rock-C-Art

Rock-C-Art Senior Member

OMG - right?! That was simply incredible. All this speech making, and the gist of the speeches being, "one man" take out one man. We just have to take out one man. And then Gabriel just looks at him. In the first few seasons they never would have done this. I never talk about these things in forums or anything but I just saw it and it's SO disappointing. And yes. It is just a TV show. And I thought it used to be a damn good one.

beat_truck and Shawn like this.
  18. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

Someone has to live that long otherwise there would be no show. This show happens to be about those people.

19. Higlander

Well, new characters introduced could simply have larger roles.
    I like the main characters, but realistically, are they ALL going to live forever?
    I think it is beginning to strain believability a bit.

I know it is about "those" people, but if we realize they will never die, the suspense is mostly gone.
    No situation is truly that scary or suspenseful anymore, UNLESS a main character could be gone at any moment.

20. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

You should have read some of the post show discussions with the showrunners.

Apparently, at the home fort, Negan is protected by an electric shield that his people built for him and that he wears. If you shoot at him the bullets will just hit the shield and fizzle away. That's why there's a power cord running behind him and up his body. The good guys know this (from their inside intel) and so purposely didn't shoot at him to demonstrate they have his number.

As for the ammunition, they supposedly took it back from the Garbage People, but it's understood that this took place off camera.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  21. Heh. No comments on tonight's episode?

I thought it was a little better than Episode 1. Not by much, though. Ezekiel is becoming super annoying. But maybe you get the right to be annoying if you own a CGI tiger.

All of those rounds in all of those different calibers. I counted 5 different calibered weapons tonight. Somebody must seriously be pressings rounds behind the scenes.

I'm with Twizler Chick. You should wax every Savior in sight.

Oh yeah, and my wife went to HS with the guy who plays Morales.

DreadPikathulhu, beat_truck and Shawn like this.
  22. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

Another laughable episode that had me cheering for the bad guys. The best line of the evening was, "Protect the King!"

Let's think about just how bad that line is, and how bad the entire character is. The King is some former theater actor or Shakespeare buff or maybe even a zoo keeper and he managed to convince a lot of people that he is some king. I think some of the guys who support him would really be breaking his chops. There's not one JB Smoove in the entire group!

23. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Jesus is so wrong in protecting those who surrender. Soon the POW's will outnumber Rick's group. I hope the captured prisoners are all executed.

Or maybe Jesus is right, I don't know. What do you think?

24. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

Terminate with extreme prejudice.

25. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Okay, but isn't that what happened at My Lai? Do we want another massacre?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.