The Walking Dead Season 8

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Aggie87, Oct 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

Terminate them all - and get some better actors and writers on the show!

2. jeroemba

jeroemba Forum Resident

And better directors as well! It's so badly directed that you struggle to understand where the characters are, why they are doing it and what's at stake. All those blank shots also reminded me of The A-Team!

beat_truck and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Jesus is just alright with me.

Lownote30 and EVOLVIST like this.
  4. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

you think with Rick's training as a cop, he would have eliminated Negan when opportunity struck. Instead he's Barney Fife...

5. Barney would have done better with his one bullet.

6. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Yep. So far, Season 8 really sucks. Ready to turn it off.

7. But but but they really get the sound of crickets and frogs right in this show (seemingly in every scene). Gotta find the good in this where you can.

Higlander likes this.
  8. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I had a bit of a beyotch-fest with my wife prior to watching 8-2. I vented - mostly about the stuff we've been discussing in this thread - and I felt bad because she still really likes the show a lot and really looks forward to it each week. I'm going to have to restrict my venting to SHMF from now on so that my wife can enjoy season 8 untainted by my curmudgeon-ness.

Oh, and I thought 8-2 stunk for the most part.

Kyhl likes this.
  9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

This show is best when it deals with people. It is worst when it deals with showers of walkers and showers of bullets. The first two episodes have focused on the latter. So, yeah, not great episodes.

But--surprisingly--by episode two they hadn't already moved to set pieces between 1-3 characters to save money. Usually, the first and last episodes of a half season have most everyone and the rest save money. Here, they've spent big money on two episodes.

(Maybe they decided to save money by firing the continuity people and skilled writers :) ).

Kyhl and beat_truck like this.
  10. masswriter

man Id take the wakers over the pseudo-drama and long conversations and rick speeches... ugh.

I can take dialogue ... yesterday I watched The Sunset Limited. Just one room with two characters talking... Tommy Lee Jones and Samuel L. Jackson. Such a difference when there are great writers paid to create and not just write.

That being said, there is something to be said for writing in general, how little regard there is for paying for talent. Corporations try to dispense with technical writers and has Frank the filer or Betty the receptionist write up a users guide for their ABC gadget... or hire overseas. Or HuffPost that doesn't pay for their writers... just a by-line. Writing in general has gone down the tubes.

11. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Or at least caught him via Check Point Chickie

12. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

This entire episode I had no idea where and when most of the action was taking place. Bad writing? Bad directing? Both? If I have to watch a talk show to explain what I just watched, then the creators are doing a terrible job of conveying information within the show itself.

13. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Wait, this is a joke, right?

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  14. twowwheels

twowwheels Forum Resident

That episode was terrible, easily the worst WD episode in the history of the show by a long shot.

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  15. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Done with this show. I was bored and dumbfounded with the 1st episode. Skipped episode two. Sounds like I missed some ****tin pants of an episode.
    Watched last season more out of habit than interest in the characters and plots. Using this now reclaimed hour of the week for Dirk Gently.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  16. Ethan B

Ethan B Forum Resident

But you wont just like most of the others here who now hate the show. If it is that bad I have no idea why the majority of those posting here are still watching.

Lownote30 and mace like this.
  17. The only thing good about ep 2 was when the bad side woman finally realized why our team was staying back and not closing in on them. Seeing her peeps dying and coming back as walkers chomping on their own.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    DreadPikathulhu and jriems like this.
  18. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I think it's because there are a lot of us that like it, and have invested years of viewing into this show and it's characters. Part of the reason I keep checking back on - and contributing to - this thread is to see if I'm the only one disliking the direction the show is heading, or to see if I'm not alone in my assessments.

I, for one, still don't HATE the show. If I truly hate something, I'm not going to waste any time on it. But I feel perfectly comfortable pointing out the "stupid is as stupid does" moments in TWD that leave me rolling my eyes and/or scratching my head (some scenes even have me simultaneously rolling my eyes, scratching my head, AND audibly groaning - it takes coordination).

19. masswriter

for the same reason why we log into CNN ... train wrecks are fun to watch

20. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Let's face it, TWD has become bad television. It couldn't last forever, folks.

21. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I want to see more Zombies, but It's a dog eat dog world now.

22. spewey

spewey Senior Member

Interesting article in Forbes concerning this....

AMC paid Lionsgate Studios
    $4 million per episode for “Mad Men”

AMC pays itself
    $2 million per episode for “Walking Dead”

Cutting the creators out of a lot of profit...but the CEO of AMC recently got a 328% raise.

Yeah...I can see why “Walking Dead” sucks now.

23. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I had no idea what was going on in the most recent episode and frankly didn't care. My Sunday evening enthusiasm has beamed over to Star Trek: Discovery.

mr. steak and Torontotom like this.
  24. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

The high point for me as well.

25. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

I think we were supposed to be following along with that napkin Rick has been carrying around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.