The Weakest Link: Journey’s Greatest Hits- Round Two

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zoot Marimba, Apr 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group Thread Starter

You weren’t good to yourself so the Woman you loved us not waiting any longer.

DQ: What were your initial impressions of this compilation?

2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

lovin touchin squeezin, send her my love ... a bit sappy for me ...

hoping for wheel in the sky, don't stop believin' or open arms for the win (open arms purely for that vocal)

Michael Rose and Zoot Marimba like this.
  3. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Same two again: Lights, LTS.

I have never seen this comp before, but it's not my idea of the best of Journey. Where is Where Were You? Look Into The Future? Karma? Can Do? Stone In Love? Under The Blade?

Were all of these really hits? They only ever had one hit over here.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  4. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

Still too much Lovin Touchin Squeezin’ and Open Arms always did seem like the most contrived ballad of the 80s. Be gone.
    On the question from Dharkan - yes this is a pretty clear set of the biggest hits.
    Greatest Hits Vol 2 which came out much later ( a bit ambitious IMHO) has some of the tracks you mention.

ian christopher and Zoot Marimba like this.
  5. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Only the Young
    Ask the Lonely

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  6. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I'm aware that the classic ballads are cheesy but I love 'em! For me we have to go back to the Raised On Radio tracks. They are so much weaker than the rest that they have to go.

Farewell then, Girl can't Help It and I'll Be Alright Without You. Hopefully!

I think it's a fine compilation. The vast majority of tracks are like a comfort blanket for my aural health. If I was doing my own comp, would it be different? Definitely but it would be full of deep cuts.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  7. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Gotta go with

I’ll Be Alright Without You and ...
    Faithfully (I just can’t stomach it anymore)

DQ: I’ve never owned this comp. Still, it seems like a good collection of songs from the Perry era.

Zoot Marimba and carlwm like this.
  8. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I love Faithfully but it's cheesier than a basket of Babybels so I totally understand why it makes you queasy!

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  9. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a GOOD ballad (well written and constructed) but I just can’t deal with it anymore. That said, is it the weakest link in that list of tunes? No, it isn’t so I’m not playing the game in the right manner I suppose...

10. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Go with your gut instinct, my friend! :righton:

GodShifter and Zoot Marimba like this.
  11. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

Girl Can't Help it
    Any Way You Want It

I would have to go back and listen to AWYWI and LTS to see if I made a mistake and should have switched. I'm too lazy, and I don't care enough about those two songs to bother.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  12. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I’ll Be Alright Without You
    Open Arms

DQ: It has some great stuff on it. I love Ask the Lonely.

carlwm and Zoot Marimba like this.
  13. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

The first is my favorite Journey song ever. The 2nd can go, but Lovin Touchin Squeezin never did much for me.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  14. ian christopher

Girl Can't Help it has that soaring outro section which is a nice diversion from the beginning of the song.

I've always felt that many Raised on Radio tracks are underrated - they seem a bit more progressive than tracks from Frontiers or Escape.

OptimisticGoat and Zoot Marimba like this.
  15. ian christopher

I used to dislike Faithfully quite a bit, but in later years the performance seems more sincere (and less over the top) than Separate Ways and Open Arms -- a bit more subtle, and sounds better with repeated listens.

carlwm and Zoot Marimba like this.
  16. ian christopher

go ahead - grab your pitchforks ....

Separate Ways has a vote now!

:hide:

carlwm, GodShifter and Zoot Marimba like this.
  17. Chew

Chew Casual Stalker

"Girl Can't Help It" is my favorite Journey track by a MILE! We all know "Don't Stop Believing" will win. (Stupid casual fans...)

18. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I’m not a fan of that one, either. The video was beyond cringe worthy.

19. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group Thread Starter

:19 is where it starts

ian christopher likes this.
  20. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

I voted Who's Crying Now and Wheel in the Sky.

I'm worried that the last man standing will be Don't Stop Believin'. It's a great song, definitely. I'm just so sick of it. But hey, people respond to it so who am I to say?

I loved it, not only for the inclusion of Only the Young and Ask the Lonley, but I thought it gave a good overview of their most popular songs. They're not my favorites, because I could think of 15 songs I like better than these. There's no denying that these are the only people respond to most. Of course, maybe people respond so positively because of this album? It's a sort of self-fulfilling prophecy - stick songs on a "Greatest Hits" album and they become those hits to people who were introduced to Journey through this album. I love the sequencing on here.

21. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

Raised on Radio has some amazing songs. I think that if the production was better it would be more highly regarded. You're right about that outro section of Girl Can't Help It - that's a really cool addition to the song.

22. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

I went with those two because I'm sticking with studio album tracks. They're both OK songs though. If I were to keep one I suppose I'd keep "Only the Young" because it was a top 10, although working against it is the fact that they sold it to Scandal who released it first.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  23. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Don’t Stop Believing and Faithfully. Their two most played out songs for sure.

This comp was a my first exposure to Journey and was huge part of my childhood. I have memories of when my mom would drive me over to my best friends house to stay over and every time I would pull up to his house I would blast Any Way You Want It and me and my friend would start dancing in the street like Rodney Dangerfield in Caddyshack

24. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

I think Faithfully is a fantastic rock ballad.

25. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin'
    Open Arms

"Open Arms" is a classic Journey staple, and I can appreciate that it is well written ballad, but I do not think it is among their best work. It is not because it is overplayed, I never was particularly taken with it, even when it was being played everywhere in the early 1980's. That said, it will probably stay in the game for many subsequent rounds.

I also cannot believe "Send Her My Love" is receiving so many votes and facing elimination. That song contains one of Steve Perry's finest all-time vocals and Neal Schon's guitar work is sublime. To these ears, it is a top five Journey song.

DQ: I thought it was a well-compiled compilation, containing most of the radio staples and hits from the Steve Perry era. It did its job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.