The Weekly Top 10-December 5, 1970

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, Dec 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

It made it to the top by being a good record, old man! :laugh: No one cares if it was David Cassidy and his mom!

But, you do make a good point. Most of this chart is bubblegum, which the majority of chart hits were back in 1970. There seemed to be a dividing line back then, where younger kids would listen to the bibblegum, and the older kids went hard rock and progressive.. Me, being nine years old at the time, tended to listen to the Jackson 5 or Partridge Family more than Led Zepplin. Although I heard the "serious" stuff too, I didn't really take notice of it until three years later. But, I was always into the soul music of the day.

See, the biggest influence in my life, my older sister, go married and moved away, so my other sister and I lost that exposure to "mature" music.

And, thank God we had cable back then, or else I never would have gotten exposed to all the great soul music via Soul Train.

2. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

That pressing pictured on this thread was from Capitol's Jacksonville, IL plant (with the stamped "0" in the dead wax), based upon the label-copy typesetting variation. The 360 interlocking serrations on the outer edge of the labels, a common sight on European pressings, was first introduced to U.S. Capitol pressings in August of 1968, right around the time that Capitol was reorganized as "a subsidiary of Capitol Industries, Inc." Only a few Capitol 45 pressings from there on in did not have such serrations (for example, a 1970 West Coast-pressed Al Martino single and one side of a Winchester, VA-pressed Merle Haggard 45 from 1973, both in my collection); they would be a common fixture (that, and the 3 5/16" center labels) right up to the time Capitol ceased to manufacture their own vinyl records in 1986 (after which they subcontracted to WEA Manufacturing for same). So to put it simply: Yes, every Capitol, Apple (and other subsidiary or distributed) 45 had those serrations. Not to mention, from 1971 to '73, some copies of records on labels like Brunswick or Polydor for whom Capitol pressed. Or copies they made for Warner/Reprise from 1976-c.85.

Only one "other" pressing plant had the serrations on their 45's, and that was North American Music Industries -- which took over Capitol's Scranton, PA plant in late 1973 and ran it for the rest of the decade until it closed.

And to my knowledge, Bell Sound (which ABKCO used at the time to master their lacquers) had nothing to do with the Bell label.

3. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

And prior to 1969 these labels were actually affiliated with the Bestway Products pressing plant (as in the infamous -BW suffix), until that year when the record label was acquired by Columbia Pictures, upon which: a) Amy and Mala bit the dust, and b) the silver label with the lower-case "bell" - in Futura Demi Bold, by the way - below a bell-and-record motif as its logo, took effect.

But it wasn't just these labels that had the "painted-label" 45's; I've seen mid-'60's records on some clients of Bestway's (like Dimension and Scepter) that were likewise "painted." To say nothing of Golden Records children's releases (Bestway, I.I.N.M., also had a stake in that label, which in turn was affiliated with the Yew label of Intrigues fame).

4. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I love " I Think I Love You"....its only one of the best and purest pop confections of all-time. Pure magic!

Great list...all the songs are classics now.

5. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

I was 13 at the time, still buying more 45s than LPs...I had #1, 4, and 10 as singles. Of course, I've got 'em all now, on CD...who knew that 34 years later, I'd still be obsessed with collecting them? :agree: :help:

6. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

I know exactly what you mean Jimbo. It's almost a compulsive habit with me!! :D

7. Grant

Same here, guys. I have all of these songs on CD many times over. But, in 1970, I only owned one of these singles, the one my sister broke. The next year I finally got the Jackson 5 song, except in stereo, and in 1972 I got the 5th Dimension song on LP. I didbn't get anymore until 1989, when those Billboard CDs started coming out, and then it would take me another couple of years 'till I got the proper single mixes where they applied.

I did buy/own many 45s, but they were mostly 60s sides. Otherwise, I knew most of these chart hits from radio.

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

...brain freeze...yea, I'm waiting too. :D :wave:

9. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Very cool. I know I've spend a great deal of time looking for the correct and best sounding versions of these classics. Not only for my private use, but for DJing purposes since I still do mobiles and club gigs from time to time. I got tired of poor sounding oldies compilations, so I started searching out original copies and good reissue pressings. When I started using CD's I looked for the same. Original pressings of 45's have been my main area of concentration lately I've managed to turn up some really cool stuff. Including finding clean replacement copies of records that I've either worn out or lost over the years. I lost a lot of my first 45's while moving to California from Nevada. They warped in our hot car while we were driving through the desert!!!

10. Grant

Finding the correct single versions is perhaps the only joy I really get out of collecting anymore, that and discovering GREAT stuff I missed the fIrst time around.

My current obsession is in deciding on the best sample rate for my recording.

11. RJL2424

RJL2424 Forum Resident

Actually, "S. Judkins" was Steveland Judkins, his real birth name. A few years later, he became "Steveland Morris," and then became known as "Stevie Wonder" when he recorded "Fingertips" in 1962.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.