The White Stripes Elephant Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by iDigital, Mar 6, 2018.

1. RockyRaccoon

RockyRaccoon Forum Resident

On discogs the most detailed matrix/runouts for the 2013 reissue are:
    Said A (Etched): TMR-200 A IT'S OK (Strikethrough original etching): V2-ADV-2748-1-A1-
    Side B (Etched): TMR-200 B BUSTER KEATON (Strikethrough original etching): V2-ADV-27148-1-B-1
    Side 3 (Etched): TMR-200 C SECOND THOUGHTS SECOND LIFE (Strikethrough original etching): V2-ADV-27148-1-C-1 RE
    Side D (Etched): TMR-200 D MINISCULE DISEASE (Strikethrough original etching): V2 ADV-27148-1-D-1
    All sides (Etched): ⓤ

The original 2003 US V2 pressing on white and red translucent vinyl matrix/runouts are:
    Side-A: V2-ADV-2748-1-A1-
    Side-B: V2-ADV-27148-1-B-1
    Side-C: V2-ADV-27148-1-C-1 RE
    Side-D: V2 ADV-27148-1-D-1

Does that indicate that the 2013 was the same master as the 2003 US original?

2. JRose

JRose Forum Resident

Record labels say "Manufactured by United Record Pressing in Nashville, TN". I will share the matrix runouts just for good measure:
    • Barcode: 0 93624 94400 3
    • Matrix / Runout: Side-A: TMR-200-A-RE-1 UNEQUIVOCABLY WG/NRP
    • Matrix / Runout: Side-B: TMR-200-B-RE-1 HAND PEDAL COMPRESSION WG/NRP
    • Matrix / Runout: Side-C: TMR-200-C-RE-2 P KILLERY WG
    • Matrix / Runout: Side-D: TMR 200-D CREEQUEY WG
    I thought it was odd that only record #1 (Sides A and B) have the United Press symbol (the little circle with a U in the middle) in the runout.

I'm cleaning the record before playing it the first time and I've just noticed horrible scratches on "I just don't know what to do with myself". I can feel these with my finger so it is HIGHLY likely this is going to be a return to BullMoose. I can't imagine these scratches from manufacturing are going to play without an audible noise. Based on what you've all shared, I will probably not ask for a replacement and hope this gets a better release someday.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  3. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

what a disappointment. thank you for sharing.

4. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I have the 2013. Guess I am lucky because my pressing is nearly perfect (maybe 2-3 ticks total across all four sides). This is my only copy, but it sounds great too.

The White Stripes - Elephant

Stone Turntable likes this.
  5. nerd767

nerd767 Forum Resident

My copy (2013) sounds awesome, but LP 2 had the spindle hole too small so i had to fix that. Otherwise no issues

Soundslave likes this.
  6. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Yes.
    Discogs notes the 10th anniversary pressing uses the original V2 masters.

My copy plays fine and sounds better than the cd.

7. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

Received mine from Bull Moose yesterday and noticed the cover is the same as my original V2 with Meg in the black dress. I thought the original preview cover art at BM had Meg in the white dress (I see now it has been changed). Not the reason I purchased it, but thought I'd mention.

8. JRose

JRose Forum Resident

Thank you! I thought I was going crazy. That was a big reason I ordered as well and I was also disappointed that it came in the original US cover. What is really interesting is that somehow my email receipts were updated with the change. I understand that they would've changed the BullMoose website to the US version but how did my emails get changed?

Anyway, I'm sending mine back for pressing issues. The 2nd LP sounds perfect but the first has scratches from manufacturing and some pops in places without defects. It's interesting because the 2nd LP doesn't have the Unite Pressing logo in the deadwax but the 1st LP does. Is it possible United didn't press the 2nd LP? The record sounds amazing and it would be great to get a defect free copy.

Mad Dog likes this.
  9. Gonzo-a-gogo

Gonzo-a-gogo Tombstone hand, graveyard mind

Here to tell you the 2008 UK smokes. The darker cover seems to cop a bit of **** but I think its beautiful; the original comes across almost garish after you've lived with the UK so long.

10. JRose

JRose Forum Resident

I'm getting pulled back into the White Stripes vinyl purchase with the preorders open for "White Blood Cells". I was looking into some information on this release and stumbled across this conversation last year for Elephant. I want to add that my copy of Elephant is perfect. It sounds great and there isn't any audible noise anywhere however it did take 2 copies before I received a good copy. Bull Moose was awesome and just sent another copy without asking me to send the original back.
    It's interesting to me that the 2020 repress/reissue of Elephant dried up quickly. People are reselling them for $80 now. This is relevant as we look to the White Blood Cells reissue on 10/22/2021.

I preordered. I don't have a renewed faith in TMR using better pressing plants. I expect this reissue to be pressed by United but I preordered for a few reasons:
    • It's a great album and I want a copy. Simple as that. Sometimes you have to buy because the music is desirable even knowing the pressing quality or mastering is suspect.
    • Bull Moose demonstrated the ability to make it right if I get a bad pressing. I do have faith in them even though I don't with United pressings.
    • TMR seems to create the demand with limiting the quantity so I need to buy when it's available. This isn't an album I would pay up for so I need to purchase when available at record stores.
    Finally, I'm intrigued with two different versions up for preorder on Bull Moose but no information on the 2nd release. This one ( - White Stripes - White Blood Cells ) has the same barcode information as the 2010 reissue. No mystery there. However, this one ( - White Stripes - White Blood Cellssnyl ) has a completely unique barcode but no additional information. I'm hoping for a color variant. Maybe Bull Moose just posted one of them in error. I could see the 2010 repress being a mistake with the new barcode representing the 2021 reissue and eventually removing the 2010 repress. I preordered both and submitted the question to Bull Moose this morning. I will share their response when I receive it.

Gonzo-a-gogo likes this.
  11. Gonzo-a-gogo

Gonzo-a-gogo Tombstone hand, graveyard mind

I was nodding my head reading your post man but, geez, I really hope they don't use United for the WBC reissue. Deserves better than that!

12. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

What are (is?) "White Bloodcellssnyl"? :confused:

13. JRose

JRose Forum Resident

I have no idea. I tried looking at past releases to see if there was a special variant released in the past but none of those have the same UPC.

I decided to check other record stores and found the same two options at Monster. Here's the link from Monster White Stripes - White Blood Cellssnyl [180 Gram] | Monster Music & Movies . Theirs is out of stock. I'm not sure if that is because they sold their quantities or if that is how Sony/Legacy corrected an inproper release. BTW, this version just showed up yesterday as an option. The other version - White Stripes - White Blood Cells has been available for preorder since 7/1. I am really intrigued. Someone is probably just screwing with me but they have my attention. All of this suggests a possible unique variation or just a mistake.

Bull Moose is usually pretty good with their responses. I will post it here as soon as I get their answer.

14. Neonbeam

Maybe a live rendition of the album? "Live in NYC!"

JRose likes this.
  15. JRose

JRose Forum Resident

Sorry to bring the bad news but the 2nd link isn’t real. It appears there is just the standard black pressing. Here is the response from Bull Moose:

That happens sometimes when two items on our website have identical titles. The other version under that listing was a 2002 listing. I have updated this link: - White Stripes - White Blood Cells (2021 Reissue) so that it now only shows the one you were looking for

Soundslave likes this.
  16. JRose

JRose Forum Resident

Soooooo it turns out there IS A COLORED VARIANT. It sucks though because I watch Bull Moose DAILY and this never popped up. Here is the peppermint striped variant link to Bull Moose... - White Stripes - White Blood Cells (20th Anniversary Edition)

It is a really cool looking pressing. Bull Moose is sold out but maybe you can find it elsewhere. This has been described as a very limited pressing. Good luck.

BlackCircleVinyl likes this.
  17. Neonbeam

Apparently it's the indie variant so it shouldn't be too hard to obtain. It sure looks tasty!

JRose and BlackCircleVinyl like this.
  18. Automatic Changer

Automatic Changer Forum Resident

I’ve only got the US V2 – 63881-27148-1 red/white 2LP and it’s garbage. So much crackling going on. I’ve found it odd that Jack of all people allows such ****ty quality pressings go out for sale.

19. Neonbeam

Is this the original US pressing?

20. Automatic Changer

appears to be according to Discogs. I only bought the CD in 2003. I bought the LP a couple/few years later (sealed) when I first thought of getting back into records. The quality is horrendous. The worst I have. In quiet patches the crackling rivals an old 78. What I’ve subsequently learnt the hard way (multiple tiles) since is that United’s quality control is non-existent.

21. Neonbeam

Strange because my copy - bought new in (don't tell me this has been almost twenty years :yikes:) 2003 sounds fantastic. Much better than the European XL.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  22. Automatic Changer

Anything possible with United’s work I suppose. What’s pretty certain is mine will end up as a pair of frisbees one night when I foolishly try cleaning them to no avail.

23. CHALKERS

CHALKERS Forum Resident

24. Neonbeam

25. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I’ve got the 2003 V2 white/red vinyl and haven’t listened to it in a while (but now will, thanks to this thread). Condolences for your noisy copy.

But the pressing I’ve got is not garbage. My recollection is that it’s no perfectly silent black-background MFSL wonder of audiophile quietude, but that it plays and sounds great.

edit: Currently spinning Side B and it’s better than I remembered. Got no complaints at all about noisiness. Dead silent between tracks.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021