The Who - Album by Album by Song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Pinball Wizard is an old classic and obviously the big single from Tommy. But as such and probably unfairly, as with most tracks that suffer from overexposure, its automatically one of the least interesting to me. But that classic opening acoustic riff is pretty stellar. And John's bass, especially live, being used as a sort of second electric guitar is also worthy of mentioning. And its still a great track despite the overexposure.

Dogs Part II. Throwaway nonsense, don't care, doesn't belong in the middle of a discussion about Tommy. Sorry.

BDC likes this.
  2. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

I got a kick out of a couple Pinball Wizard "first reaction" videos (College Students and Jamal). Some people question if some of these channels are really first listens, but these two in particular are pretty obvious Tommy virgins. They both wonder about the origin of the song...

"There's got to be a story behind it... there's no way it's real--a deaf dumb and blind kid played a mean pinball."
    "Don't say no way, dude."

"This is amazing if this is a true story...They're saying he's deaf and blind...his sense of smell just has to be incredible."

(Note: I don't mean to make fun of them; I really enjoy seeing folks getting their first exposure to Who songs)

landerstnkb likes this.
  3. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:D Only four tracks needed. John in the left speaker, Pete in the right, Keith in the middle and dog(s) barking (also centered).

KM Dave 65-78 and croquetlawns like this.
  4. Orino

Orino Forum Resident

There’s a Doctor

A narrative link – tuneful and effective. Even the links are memorable on this record..

5. Orino

Orino Forum Resident

Go to the Mirror!

Here’s where story wise we get down to some nitty gritty. It’s quite a vital moment in the tale this – “his eyes react to light.. he hears but cannot answer”. If there was any doubt, it establishes that Tommy is physically well, but something inside is just not connecting. This moves the narrative along at a pace, and fittingly it’s also musically one of the strongest cuts on the album, boasting one of Pete’s most effective riffs. No wonder this all became such a large part of the Overture. There’s not a moment wasted here, the heavy “Go to the mirror boy” segment hinting at a frustration that will later prove pivotal.

We also catch glimpses of Tommy’s internal world, with the “See me, feel me” repeats. And I doubt there can be many more thrilling, uplifting moments in The Who’s discography than where “what is happening in his head” leads into into our first full taste of “Listening to you”. Goosebumps, mate.

Something I’ve often wondered about “Tommy” is whether questions posed lyrically are actually answered. Just as the question “How can he be saved?” could be answered by “See me, feel me” in “Christmas”, “What is happening in his head?” could in theory be answered by “Listening to You”. Not that Tommy is literally listening, but that in his isolation (ie in his head) he is actually at one with himself – the lyric/hymn being addressed to God, or to the one true self. This seems to tie in with the gazing into the mirror too—anyway, just speculation.

Special mention for Keith who is an absolute star on this track, leading the charge with extraordinary (even for him) panache.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  6. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Reference Guide

Who are The Who

The High Numbers live Oct 20 1964

July 1964 Zoot Suit / I'm The Face

Oct 1964 Country Line Special

Jan 1965 I Can't Explain / Bald Headed Woman
    I Can't Explain (Shindig) - Live 72

May 1965 Anyway Anyhow Anywhere - live / Daddy Rolling Stone - correct version / Anytime You Want Me - acapella

Oct 1965 My Generation - Smothers Brothers - live 1965 - 1966 - 1967 / Shout And Shimmy / Out In The street

Apr 1966 My Generation
    Out In The street - 1966 tv
    I Don't Mind
    The Good's Gone - US mono
    La La La Lies
    Much Too Much
    My Generation - US mono
    The Kids Are Alright
    Please Please Please
    It's Not True
    I'm A Man
    A Legal Matter
    The Ox
    Instant Party/Circles - Correct Version

Leaving Here
    Lubie (Come Back Home) - alt. version

Mar 1966 Substitute/ Circles b-side - Substitute US single version
    Waltz For A Pig

Instant Party Mixture

Mar 1966 A Legal Matter/ Instant Party

Aug 1966 I'm A Boy/ In The City - I'm a Boy (alt mono) - I'm A Boy (original stereo) - I'm a Boy (alt stereo) - Im A Boy live Charlton 74 - promo clip

Nov 1966 Ready steady Who
    Disguises
    Circles (Instant Party) - Circles
    Batman
    Bucket T
    Barbara Ann

1966 recording session

Dec 1966 Happy Jack/I've Been Away

Dec 1966 A Quick One
    Run Run Run - mono
    Boris The Spider
    I Need You - US link
    Whiskey Man - US link
    Heatwave
    Cobwebs and Strange
    Don't Look Away
    See My Way - US link
    So Sad About Us
    A Quick One

Apr 67 Pictures Of Lily / Doctor Doctor

June 67 The Last Time/ Under My Thumb

Dec 1967 The Who Sell Out
    Armenia City In The Sky
    Heinz Baked Beans
    Mary Anne With The Shaky Hand - alternate
    Odorono
    Tattoo
    Our Love Was
    I Can See For Miles - live
    Someone's Coming
    I Can't Reach You
    Medac
    Relax
    Silas Stingy
    Sunrise
    Rael
    Extra tracks
    The Radio Jingles
    Rael 2
    Glittering Girl
    Melancholia
    Jaguar
    Early Morning Cold Taxi
    Hall Of The Mountain King
    Girl's Eyes
    Sodding About
    Glow Girl
    Great Shakes

Mar 1968 Call Me Lightening/Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde

Jun 1968 Dogs/ Call Me Lightening

Jul 1968 Magic Bus/ Someone's Coming - Magic Bus orig. stereo

Sept 1968 Magic Bus - Who On Tour

Oct 1968 Direct Hits

May 1969 Tommy
    Overture/It's A Boy/1921
    Amazing Journey/Sparks
    Eyesight To The Blind
    Christmas
    Cousin Kevin
    The Acid Queen
    Underture
    Do You Think It's Alright
    Fiddle About
    Pinball Wizard
    There's A Doctor
    Go To The Mirror

Dogs pt2 b-side

marmalade166 and Orino like this.
  7. el supernautico

el supernautico A traveller of both, time and space

Pinball Wizard: 9/10
    Finally, The Who's first bona fide classic rock radio hit - deservedly so, I must say, as it has a great verse melody & rhythm, and of course those crashing chords of Pete.
    I knew and loved that song for ages, but since my band decided to cover it (also years ago), my opinion slightly changed. The "look behind the scenes" showed the fragility of that oh-so strong song, and also some weak spots.
    These are only nuances, it's not that I dislike it - in fact, I still think it's great.

In the album-context of Tommy, I think it works fine and there's absolutely nothing to lament, as it lifts you up from dreadful Ernie with a sad starting chord which turns more and more into a positive and strong (and flamenco-styled) guitar figure.
    Then, there's the ending introducing a variation of the "how can we follow?" ending part from "I'm Free", so everything's fine.
    But as a single itself, I think it feels more like a fragment than a real song. I mean... that ending is... irritating, or unfitting to what I'd call a single - in fact, we changed it when we played it!:hide:
    I also think the song feels rather rushed, like there was no time to work it out a little bit more - which it deserves!

IMHO, the Elton John version does the song more justice than the original, it's just worked out with more care - don't get me wrong, it's not that I prefer piano over guitar!;)
    However, it's OK that it was chosen a single because it works great as an appetizer for the album - at least it did that job on me!:D

8. Steve E.

Steve E. Doc Wurly and Chief Lathe Troll

I'm suddenly reminded that there was a straight-edge hardcore punk parody band called "Crucial Youth." I knew one of the members in college. He told me that they were going to release a rock opera called "Timmy" on a 7" record. I can't find any evidence that this actually ended up happening, but I so want it to be true. Maybe it's just a rare release?

Orino likes this.
  9. Steve E.

Steve E. Doc Wurly and Chief Lathe Troll

Keith is such a hoot here.

KM Dave 65-78 likes this.
  10. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Love Dogs Pt 2! The last studio song I like... After this, it's all too serious and thoughtful... I prefer thoughtless!

marmalade166 likes this.
  11. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Lots of fun! Perfect for a b-side, IMO.

12. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

Pete does his patented Gibson launch during the filming of Pinball Wizard:

[​IMG]

According to The Story of Tommy, a female fan was injured by a flying bit of smashed guitar and had to be taken to the hospital "There was blood everywhere", Pete said. She reportedly said it was an honor to be smacked on the head by Pete's guitar...he gave it to her by way of an apology. It's kind of odd that though The Who played live for the scene, the song in the movie soundtrack is done by Elton's band.

13. landerstnkb

landerstnkb Forum Resident

One of my favorite songs on the album. In fact, side three of this album is amazing IMHO (side one being the best though).

KM Dave 65-78 and Thievius like this.
  14. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

There's a Doctor---Good tune used as a short narrative piece....Nice piano groove and vocal.....
    Could of been made into a really good full length tune.
    Go to the mirror---Epic sequence.......Orino addressed it perfectly IMO.

15. Thievius

There's A Doctor. I'm instantly reminded of a skit on Second City Television with Martin Short. "Give me a "C," a bouncy C." This is such a quick track solely created to set up a major plot point but I can't help but smile when I hear that bouncy piano. A minor piece but still great.

Go To The Mirror. Begins immediately with one of the major musical themes of the album. Featured prominently in the Overture, and unless i'm mistaken, returns here for the first time on the record. But also the return of other themes. (See Me, Feel Me & Listening To You) Keith is absolutely on fire in this track, though his drums are slightly back in the mix so its not immediately apparent. Which is why yet again I'll say listen closely to what Moon is doing. It is endlessly entertaining.

Oh and in the film version, listening to Oliver Reed "singing" 'Ooooooh. i wish I knew' is something to behold. Laughably, horribly, horrendously something to behold.

Anyway, these are both fantastic tracks. Especially Go To The Mirror which to me is the highlist of an already incredible side 3.

[​IMG]

16. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Because the dogs barking was the most important and needed to be centred :D

KM Dave 65-78 and landerstnkb like this.
  17. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I'm not sure if I prefer Elton's to the original (they're both great), but it was certainly a highlight of the film.

ThunderDan likes this.
  18. el supernautico

Dogs Part Two: 6,5/10
    Adquate B-side material at its best; the band is having fun on a very loose structure, centering around an accentuation in form of imitated dog's barking. Far from being essential, doing stuff like this always helps calming down tensions.;)
    As for the inspiration, maybe it was The Beatles' "Hey Bulldog", released some months before Tommy, who knows...

19. el supernautico

Well, it's the B-side to "Pinball Wizard".;)
    And this is not a Tommy dedicated thread, it's a song-by-song thread, so "Dogs Part Two" is of course part of it and would have appeared sooner or later anyway.

20. el supernautico

Actually, I wouldn't say I prefer Elton John's version on a subjective level - it's just that I think Elton got more out of the composition and rounded it out quite effective.
    Soundwise, I prefer The Who's raw and unpolished sound over the slick mid 70ties production on the soundtrack version any given day (and still, Elton's piano rocks this number really good!:D).

croquetlawns likes this.
  21. el supernautico

There's A Doctor/Go To The Mirror!: 9,5/10
    Oh yeah, this is great stuff. Some of the album's finest hour! The groove is an easy swinger on one hand , but with a full-bloodied (hard) rock riff on the other, both melting in a way only The Who can - and Daltrey sings great here!
    "Go To The Mirror!" is composed of several, sequential elements and drive on the story - which I, at this point, don't understand:
    The boy visits a doctor who analyzes the situation rather correctly (part I), Tommy's inner self is to be heard ("see me, feel me..." interjectional part) then he tells Tommy to go the mirror (part II)(does he? And why? What's there to see?).
    And then, the final part III with the "listening to you..." chorus (listening to what? Music? How does it help? What does it have to do with the mirror?).
    I never was able to find out what's happening here and gave up a long time ago. It might all have to do with Meher Baba's philosophies, but if so, it's so crypted that I can't put it into a plot working for Tommy.
    It also doesn't help that the several "See me, feel me" incarnations throughout the album are sung by Rog AND Pete in no logic manner. It feels they simply chose from version to version who's voice would suit it better in that moment and not per given "role".
    I'm not exactly asking for an explanation, but maybe I just missed something and it's all much easier and obvious to you all...

However, musically, it all works greatly, and I love it, and I'm in total Tommy-mode at this point of the album.:)

22. Thievius

Never said it was. I find it to be a distraction smack dab in the middle of a Tommy discussion. No offense to Orino intended, he's been doing a fine job.

I'm just a little frustrated with the participation level in this thread. Finally an album I'm passionate about! But oh wait, nobody's posting much and when they do its about superfluous nonsense like Dogs part 2. I'm about ready to ditch.

el supernautico likes this.
  23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

What are you talking about? The amount of posts concerning Dogs part 2 is next to nothing compared to those about the rest of Tommy.

And just because you don't like a song doesn't mean it's "superfluous nonsense". Don't like it? Listen and comment about something else.

24. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Ha! Quite so.

25. Thievius

Yes sir. I'll get right on that sir. Is there anything else about my posts you'd like to nitpik sir? Because that's the only kind of interaction I ever get from you sir. It must be my fault sir, I'll try to do better. Sir yes sir!