The Who By Numbers - Viva Italia!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sckott, Nov 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Mike V,
    Just to make sure. My copy does NOT have the "blocks" label. But does sound very nice. Thanks again to you and Sckott for bringing it up.
    I must have listened to CTE 6 or 7 times this past weekend.
    I kept thinking about just how well this album has aged.
    Definitely one of SD's best.

Ben

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only. Thread Starter

Alsdorf - Yes.

AFA the CTE, the original pressing has the lyric sheet inside, which I've never seen before, and from memory, it's written almost like the CBAT lyric sheet, which was merely in the gatefold. Very cool.

Also has a very dated orange inner sleeve with a man, girl and dog, I believe, in sillouette, sitting in the grass. Ah, the comfy 70s!

3. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Oh, OK. In that case, I have a black label Pretzel Logic you might want to seek. That one is great sounding. However, the vinyl is really pretty noisy at quiet passages (like a low hiss/crackle). This record looks like it was never played (maybe it's recycled wax?). Even still, it's well mastered from a good source.

4. Sckott

Actually, it is recycled wax, and pretty badly.

I agree it was mastered well though. Someone else I know had one, but it's trashed now. I had a reel of it when I was a teen, and minus the surface noise, it sounds damn good.

I remember the runoff groove made a shuffling noise, and that area of the record looked a bit scorched.

5. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Mine has also the lyric sheet, but the inner sleeve is white paper with blue print advertising other ABC albums from that (1973) era (I've never seen this ABC inner before).

BTW, my later "Striped circle" copy also has the lyric sheet.

BC

6. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

To tell you the truth, I was very surprised to find the black CTE very quiet. Most black label ABC's I have are VERY noisy.

BC

7. Sckott

Mine too, fairly quiet and inviting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.