The Who Fillmore East 1968

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whodanny, Feb 13, 2018.

1. The Big Guy

The Big Guy Forum Resident

I'm looking at the 2004 edition and it lists those shows on page 99/100. The only difference between the shows is that on April 5 it lists "C'mon Everybody" as being played, and on April 6 it lists "My Way" instead. It also mentions that the Who played for more than 90 minutes on the night of April 6, for what it's worth.

whodanny likes this.
  2. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

Hear hear - a 90 min recording, unless compromised in flow by having long songs in the wrong places, should NOT need anything more than 2 LP discs.

3. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Even in their prime, they never played this longer than ~15-18 minutes. Hard to believe in '68 they'd have played a 20+ min version that would warrant it on its own disc...

Fullbug, jsayers and lukpac like this.
  4. whodanny

whodanny The Who ! THAT'S WHO !! Thread Starter

Ah, you're correct. I have that copy too. To further confuse things The Who Concert Guide site lists them differently here for the 5th The Who live in New York, NY, Fri, 05 April 1968

And the 6th The Who live in New York, NY, Sat, 06 April 1968 .

Even more confusing is that it also lists a show on the 4th that is not mentioned in the Concert file.

dee and The Big Guy like this.
  5. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

We're getting both jams from the 5th and 6th....:righton:

CD 2 , gotta fill that disc up....:cool:

6. whodanny

Maybe not as wild an idea as it sounds, I like it. My Generation (1) and My Generation (2) and not (part 1) and (part 2).:goodie:

dee and reb like this.
  7. Tickets $3 - $5??? Ripoff!!! :)

BTW - $5 in 1968 calculates out as $36 and change today. Doubt if you'd even be able to purchase a ticket to see the decrepit, 'half-Who' now at anywhere near that cost...

supermd, DrBeatle and AlienRendel like this.
  8. The Big Guy

And I just checked the original copy which I also have and you're correct, they are not listed on April 6 :). Obviously listing set lists is not an exact science, especially from so long ago.
    I think the authors of the book relied quite a bit on circulating bootlegs of shows to come up with a lot of them.

9. whodanny

Yeah, pretty sure you're right. Many of the quotes of onstage banter in the book are verbatim from the many bootleg lps, cds and tapes I've had over the years. Not sure where the guy on the Who Concert Guide gets his info from. He certainly has the correct setlists for most of the shows I've been to over the years. (Decades).

10. RockDude4492

RockDude4492 Forum Resident

11. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

What, you mean just disc 3? That would be a pretty bizarre idea, even for The Who.

Matthew Tate and lukpac like this.
  12. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

I only bought the first addition of the Concert File book. There's only so much money to go around with all the revised and updated versions that come out. That's why it's best to just release both recorded shows now instead of the dribs and drabs that we usually get from The Who.

whodanny and DrBeatle like this.
  13. whodanny

No I meant maybe the whole set, until Reb suggested (in jest) that we might get My Generation from both shows. Then a 6 sided 33rpm didn't seem quite such a stretch.

14. whodanny

Can't argue with that :righton:

15. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I'm not sure you could cram the whole show onto three 45 RPM LPs... I think both sides of a 45 RPM LP offer about the same amount of space as one side of a 33. That would be a really bizarre idea though.

It would make sense to include two versions of My Generation since they have the space, but I doubt they are going to do that. They wouldn't include two versions of one song when they've left off two possible songs they could have included. No, it's likely going to be a 13-minute version of My Generation with 6.5 minutes on each side.

Matthew Tate and lukpac like this.
  16. Looks like the article confirms "Substitute" as the set opener. Maybe the recording rig wasn't ready yet, but I'm bummed it's not going to be on the new release, given that it's my fav Who track of all time.

Matthew Tate and whodanny like this.
  17. The Big Guy

Matthew Tate and whodanny like this.
  18. whodanny

Well, I think two sides of 6.5 minutes is equally as bizarre as any other suggestion. But it's all speculation and conjecture at the moment, that's part of the enjoyment of taking part in the forum. I still like the two versions of My Generation idea best, but, yes there are two songs that would be left out. Maybe, like at Hull, Substitute and Pictures of Lily didn't record properly, and they haven't got other versions to fly the bass or any other instrument from. See? conjecture again.:D

19. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I notice in that article he only mentions the 2nd night being professionally recorded for a projected live album. Sounds like the first night was poorly attended and not much more than a dress rehearsal al with an angry Pete, at least judging from this fan’s review. This coupled with the initial label blurb about Bob Pridden working on the 2nd night’s tapes make me wonder about that first show being used on this release. Just wondering out loud here....

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. The Big Guy

Wow sorry about that. I deleted the post. The link worked fine for me but I don't want to cause anyone any problems.

reb likes this.
  21. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Forum Reconstructor

Could they release the material from the "Autumn Acetates" from the 1969 US tour next? It was their next "live" project, so I expect that to come along, in one way or another. And Frisco '71, come on!

Matthew Tate and entropyfan like this.
  22. whodanny

Anything is possible, but there is so much live material from the '69/'70 tours that I'd not get too excited about it. The boots of that material aren't too bad either.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

Glad this isn't being included as part of some super duper deluxe box set.

24. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

dee likes this.
  25. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Both nights were professionally recorded because both nights are represented on the soundboard bootleg - I posted about this earlier in this thread.

Matthew Tate likes this.