The Who Fillmore East 1968

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whodanny, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Forum Reconstructor

Really? It's one of the reasons I love that that record! Lots more of ratatadumdumdumtata than of psshhhhshaaaaaapshhhh, as it should be. Quadrophenia, on the other hand... :D

Surferghost and Dave Hoos like this.
  2. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

I don’t think this is accurate. I’ll check in a bit unless someone else cares to, but I think the removal of drums and cymbals was on one specific occasion—for the basic, straightforward approach desired for ‘Join Together’ (which was, in my opinion, a terrible decision; one that resulted in a frustrating, bizarre and uninspired performance from Keith. I remember thinking it sounded like he had one arm tied behind his back).

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  3. Dr. Robert

[​IMG]
    March 1971 picture, from the Who's Next sessions. Notice only three cymbals and a gazillion toms. Join Together was only recorded in early 1972. And it does sound bad, :D

DrBeatle and Dave Hoos like this.
  4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The only photos I can recall from that era are from the Record Plant; Johns wasn’t involved with those sessions.

I don’t recall any photos from Stargroves or Olympic.

Chris M, mw1917, dee and 1 other person like this.
  5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Record Plant. Nothing to do with Glyn Johns.

All Keith.

mw1917, DrBeatle and Clarkophile like this.
  6. Dr. Robert

Yeah, the pic I just posted was from Record Plant, but he kept the same Ludwig kit and setup for the England sessions as well. So valid enough, except Glyn wasn't the culprit :D

7. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Yeah, I’m one of the very few who’s not crazy about Next and Quadrophenia. It was such a different sound for the band and I didn’t care for it . I didn’t like Glyn Johns sound. Much preferred Kit Lambert as a producer- low Fi but max Vision. But that’s just me.

marmalade166 likes this.
  8. Dr. Robert

I'm a pretty big fan of Glynnis, so that might cloud my judgement a bit :D

Mark E. Moon. and chacha like this.
  9. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

You sir are definitely in the minority.

10. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

No question bout that! I totally get why everybody loves that stuff. Just not my thing.

Surferghost likes this.
  11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

When did Keith have more cymbals before 1971? He definitely got more toms around that time, but I don’t think he reduced his cymbals much or at all.

mw1917 likes this.
  12. Dr. Robert

If you compare his kit from the Tommy Tour - Isle of Wight era to the one on the pic, there was a considerable decrease on the number of cymbals, if I'm not mistakem

13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I believe you’re mistaken.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mw1917, dee, Spadeygrove and 4 others like this.
  14. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Not just you, I'm also a big fan of that pinched sound that Kit got in the '60s, after that it all sounds too clean (and pompous tbh) to me

chacha likes this.
  15. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Relax and Shakin' All Over are great, the rest I will probably not play again. The band has not really yet formed completely what would become Leeds...

16. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Oh dear lord... that kit sounded horrid. Quite possibly the worst sounding kit ever in a major touring act.

I've read the only reason he dropped that great white kit was Daltrey throwing a fit that it was a single-bass and the Who didn't look right without a double-bass drum kit.

I hope that's not true, because that's silly. But, you know those rock 'n' roll egos.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  17. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

And later when Kenney did go with the double-bass drum kit he still didn't use the second drum.

J_D__ likes this.
  18. mw1917

mw1917 Forum Resident

It's not true:
    Kenny Jones - Modern Drummer Magazine

KJ: I don’t play double bass drum. I do everything on one foot. Since I’ve got two bass drums up there, a lot of people have said to me, “I really like your double bass drums. You really know how to use it.” I do it all on one foot. Now will you all believe me? I’ve got a quick right foot. You don’t need two bass drums anyway. It’s ludicrous. It’s up there purely and simply to balance out the kit and it’s a stand to mount two extra tom-toms on. You don’t need any more than that. In fact, I would advise a drummer never to play two bass drums. It will throw you instantly off where the beat naturally falls and you’ll end up playing in between that. It’s totally wrong and uncomfortable.

Dave Hoos and Mark Wilson like this.
  19. mw1917

mw1917 Forum Resident

Given how monstrous the same kit sounded on Live Aid, I put it down to miking/mix on the '82 tour rather than the drums being Yamaha. I personally prefer Premier (and, apparently, alliteration), but Yamahas of that era have a great sound. The difference in tonality between Toronto 12/17/82 and Live Aid is night and day, and it's the same kit on both shows.

Anthrax, Dave Hoos and Mark Wilson like this.
  20. Same here, his incredible discography speaks for itself.

21. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

He used one foot and it sure sounds like he used one hand with his playing in The Who.

22. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

The camera shots from the back from that show is where you can clearly see him only using the one bass drum. I agree about the sound of his kit that day, he sounded even better than John and Pete.

23. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Jones played the hi-hat with his left foot and the kick drum with the right. He would of had to of changed his drumming style in order to play a double bass drum. I'm not a drummer, however I think that incorporating a second bass drum into your kit when your an established drummer is likely quite difficult to master.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  24. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

This has nothing to do with anything I said. Honestly, do you think if he only added a second bass because Daltrey threw a hissy-fit about it that he would really claim that as the reason in an interview? Really?

The, I use it as a stand to balance the kit claim is a load of obvious bollocks. The white kit (was it Premiere?) was fine. (And sure sounded better than the Yamaha kit)

25. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Thought it sounded bad at Live Aid too. However, it did sound decent at the BMI awards a few years later.

Yamaha drums are decent drums. Maybe it was the heads he was using then? Well, that and the miking and mixing, as you say.