The Who Fillmore East 1968

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whodanny, Feb 13, 2018.

1. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Portions of both nights are on the circulating bootleg.

smoke and jsayers like this.
  2. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Well well well...it looks like I may be in line super early for this on Record Store Day. Thanks for the news

Matthew Tate and dee like this.
  3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I thought that was the case, but I don’t recall what the indicators are. Anyone?

4. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

If this is legit and done well, maybe we'll finally get the complete December 13, 1971 performance.

5. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Summertime Blues through Relax is from April 6th. The rest is from April 5th. A member of The Who Bootleg Forum on FB did a complete analysis comparing the audience source with the sdbd. source.

Tim Bucknall, tedg65 and dee like this.
  6. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

So the first night is from an audience recording? Interesting - wonder if they will use any of that first night if this is the case.......

7. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Would be nice, but the track listing for this possible ‘Fillmore East’ “official” release doesn’t even indicate that it’s going to be complete.

8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

No.

9. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

No, that’s not what I said at all. The circulating audience recording is from the April 6th show. The circulating sdbd. bootleg is taken from both nights.

jsayers likes this.
  10. jsayers

Still it’s odd it doesn’t say Bob worked on the first night’s tapes then. Amazon’s track listing could be wrong - it’s early days yet.

11. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I've alluded to this already, but when the 3LP Live at Leeds came out, we had very little information, and then conflicting and sometimes incorrect information. Finally, it pretty much worked out to be the perfect situation, a well-mastered triple live set with the whole show. I pre-ordered early from Amazon UK with probably misguided faith, but that no risk gamble paid off big time. One of the best bargains I've ever had, and now the thing is unobtainable (damn the only copy in the US on Discogs is unsealed and its $190! I paid like $17!!!).

Why does the OP speculate that this will be an RSD release? It's coming out on a Friday which is the new new release day. If I have to fight the crowds for this it will be a violent and savage RSD in Tampa Bay.

12. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Yes, but that Leeds recording had already been officially released as a download. It wasn’t a big surprise to see it released on vinyl.

13. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

My point is that, based on the incomplete and somewhat contradictory information we have, this thing could end up really awesome or kind of crappy. With one UK Amazon listing and a cover picture as the only information, who knows what the final product will be? Triple LP full show and some extras from the earlier pro-recorded show? Two discs and possibly cuts or incomplete show? It's all up in the air tonight.

14. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

If this sounds anywhere as good as the recent Yardbirds release that was recorded around the same time it should be a real winner. Plus this time they'll be no Jummy Page to cut out all the cool stage banter. :)

Dondy likes this.
  15. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

16. jsayers

:frog:
    Pete’s never cut out stage banter before? :whistle: ;)

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

As noted, I'd say the bigger question is how it will sound. Pridden's track record is less than stellar.

J_D__ likes this.
  18. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Let’s see if The Who camp comes out with any sort of release announcement in the next few days. If it really is a Universal release, you would think they would be all over it.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. supermd

supermd Senior Member

They will. How many times have we seen Amazon get an early scoop on something? Happens all the time.

20. jsayers

Agreed - that and the actual, finalized track listing. Probably no hope for that horrid cover artwork. Criminal considering how many fantastic photos are out there to use or even more talented and creative illustrators out there who’d jump at the chance to do this release justice if photos aren’t wanted by the band. Maybe they’re “cheaping out” on the artwork on purpose - sure looks like it. Sorry, rant over.:hide:

izgoblin likes this.
  21. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

There is a clue, as I interpret this post on the official fb page from the 11th.

The Who

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I seem to be one of the few disappointed by the Leeds LP set. Didn’t like the new mix. Entwhistle was too low for me. Much prefer the mix from the nineties.

23. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Still kicking myself for hesitating on that 3-LP Live At Leeds. Not missing this one - so pre-ordered!

Tim Bucknall and ODShowtime like this.
  24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

What does that have to do with the Fillmore East show?

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  25. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

I'll take it off your hands then... :shh: